Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of confidence and excitement ahead of the season ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to Saturday big time, Scunny will be well up for it to start with but I expect us to eventually run out 3-0 winners. I am even gonna have a bet on it as I really fancy that score & I never bet on Charlton.
  • Options
    I must say, we never once dicked a lower league team when we had a team of premiership players, so i'm really not sure where all these predictions of a walkover are coming from !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]
    I think Pardew has made some astute signings, and we will be going back up next season where my weekends will again be ruined.

I recon we'll take Scunthorpe apart saturday.

would you really settle for the next 10 years abeing a mid-table ccc team?
    imo that would ruin the work the club has put in to continue to moved forward since returning to se7.
  • Options
    Here, here, Ooh Aah. Just because you prefer to see us in the top tier doesn't mean you're only going to watch the opposition - that's out of order, T. It's the quality of Charlton - the players, the manager, the club I care about. For example, I've loved following our players in international matches, including England. And some day I'd love to see us in a Cup Final or even in Europe. All that will have to wait for a while now.
  • Options
    'Its the quality of Charlton' - Weegie
    'i'll take the feeling of a 4-2 win at highbury' - ooh aah

Of course, that was a great day, but it gets completely annulled by the hundreds of pounds i spent going back to the Highbury and Emerites since where the game without fail is over after only 10 minutes....
  • Options
    I've watched us in the top, second and third tiers and the top tier is by far the best!

I've loved finally seeing my team in the top tier at its own ground holding its own.

Maybe I appreciated it more than some of you youngsters because I waited thirty five years to see it!

I hope you lot don't have a similar experience now we've gone down.

For me the wheel has turned full circle and I'm back watching Charlton where I started even down to teams like Scunthorpe who were in division 2 with us when I first went.
  • Options
    When I see Sunderland paying £9m for a goalkeeper (and a Scottish one at that!) & Everton paying £6m for a left back it makes me glad that we're not in the Premiership because we could not compete with that and would get left further behind. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond and I'm looking forward to the new season for a bit of excitement and for us to actually be trying to beat a team! It's just a shame that the ultimate prize is getting back to the big pond again where we go back to where we were!
  • Options
    We are going up!
    say, WE ARE GOING UP! :-)

That time of year to fill up with cock-eyed optimism....

:-)
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong... I loved being in the premiership and mixing it with the best sides. But I love seeing Charlton win more. I don't care what game or what division but winning. The 4-2 at Highbury, the lisbie hat trick and 1-0 at Chelsea are up there with my best days as a Charlton fan. I kept turning up to games with the top 4 in the hope i might see another one... But i certainly never ever turned up for any game to see an opposition player as someone suggested higher up the thread.

The premiership is where it's at and where i want the club to be, but lets enjoy the CCC for a season, the winning and new grounds. Next season is going to be a slog whether we're in the Prem on the CCC, so lets enjoy this one rather than moaning about how things used to be?
  • Options
    I had been thinkg we will easily win the league this year.... and then I went to the Braga game. Life without Bent will be hard. No one else will be missed. The two new strikers didnt offer us anything but to be fair they were a good team. Fingers crossed for saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My fear is how people in the 'lets enjoy our one year in the Championship' react if things don't go to plan.

I'm sure Palace, Leicester, QPR, Leeds, Norwich, Ipswich fas etc all said the same thing.....
  • Options
    It's fine... i'll just change allegiance like i'm back in the playground again. What are Hartlepools chances this year?
  • Options
    I'm still in summer mode, enjoying not worrying. I'm up for Saturday, though - and I definitely will be come 3 o'clock.

I broke myself in a bit by seeing Hearts v Hibs on Monday night (was up in Edinburgh for a couple of days) - good to see a bit of competitive action with a crowd that really cared!
  • Options
    Nearly a riot, by the sound of it, Inspector! It's sad what's happeining at Hearts though - what a mess it will be when mad Vlad walks away.

It still feels too early for me - got another two weeks to wait yet till I make it to The Valley. But at least the start of the football season does seem to mean better weather at last...
  • Options
    I thought the Hearts fans let their team off lightly. The booing would have started a lot earlier at The Valley in recent seasons. The players looked like they were cacking themselves, mind. Wasn't a great match, but Hibs are a handy side and I'm pleased I experienced the atmosphere.

As for us, I reckon we could be in for a rude surprise against the Iron - it'll take a while to get used to our league, and I hope the fans show patience too. New side, new league, new start - lots of people waiting to have a pop, and we've just got to stay strong and show 'em how it's done.
  • Options
    BBC suggesting we might struggle to adapt in the first few games to the more physical nature of the game in the CCC
  • Options
    I saw that , not sure where they got that from considering the huge changes, but it's an easy thing to say about any team that's been hanging around the fancy dans of the Premier League for a few years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Boat[/cite]and whoever cunningstunt is can you please F*** off toFulham or some other moderatly priced family club because you aint welcome here... you're life must be a shambles the amount of time you sit on here criticising when you aint even a proper fan just a johnny come lately..

Sorry? Who are you? Have I missed something?
  • Options
    Inspector are you somehow suggesting that the BBC have thrown together a lazy piece of journalism, that somehow gains credability as it has the BBC attached to it?!
  • Options
    Err..... might be. But when was the last time you read a pre-season preview from anyone about anyone and it was anything other? It's like a party game - "quick, tell us how.... BARNSLEY! are going to do this season" and you come up with the first thing that comes into your head.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I'm looking forward to this season, no idea what it will bring but football mostly on a saturday instead of sundays mondays or whenever Sky say sounds good to me :)
    It's just great to be thinking we'll be back at the Valley on Saturday with a new campaign.
    That works for me....
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Great post.

S'allright for you. It's half four in the morning here - on a school night - and I'm smashed!!!

LOL! Easy tiger, my comment was addressed to Vancouver's just above.
  • Options
    ok well these signings being the icing on the cake have got me a bit excited, we were a bit ight before. Lets hope we can patch up the defence though..