Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Johns' Shirts in the Museum

Nicky came into the museum today to show his family his name on the Hall of Fame board as well as picking up some programmes he didn't have from games he played in.

He's kept a record of all his games he's played since he was 13 and wants to share his records with his grandchildren 

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Is that a goal keeper’s shirt?
    I seem to remember that was an outfield player, had one as a youngster. 
  • Options
    Did you not get a pic of him in the museum when he visited ?

I still can’t forgive him for his reaction to us in the away end at QPR when he was in goal for them in (I think) the Milk Cup match in either 87 or 88 - Trevor Francis came on and changed the game - John’s gave it the big one to us at final whistle - git 
  • Options
    one of the few Millwallites who came over and became an Addicks Legend
  • Options
    one of the few Millwallites who came over and became an Addicks Legend

Chelsea at The Valley midweek ended 1-1 if I'm not mistaken, he had an absolute blinder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Coincidentally a fan also brought in a rare old matchworn shirt today.

87/88 we think but need to check

Might be for sale

That shirt was worn by the first team in the 1986/1987 season away from home at Highbury in the league 

Edit: The numbering was black that day not red 
  • Options

Might be for sale

It's 86/87, the necks are slightly different, see below image. A white 87/88 sandwiched between two 86/87 shirts.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Might be for sale

That shirt was worn by the first team in the 1986/1987 season away from home at Highbury in the league 

Edit: The numbering was black that day not red 
    The white shirt was first worn away to West Ham 86/87

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Cant remember the specific game but there was one evening match (poss @ Selhurst) when we would have lost by 4 or 5 without him, he was unbelievable.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Cant remember the specific game but there was one evening match when we would have lost by 4 or 5 without him, he was unbelievable.
    Chelsea November 1983
  • Options

Might be for sale

Does the museum already have a white one then? Surprised you'd consider letting that go if not. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Hal1x said:
    Cant remember the specific game but there was one evening match when we would have lost by 4 or 5 without him, he was unbelievable.
    Chelsea November 1983
    you could be right it was certainly a bit parky. what was the final score?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    shirty5 said:
    Hal1x said:
    Chelsea November 1983
    1 1. It was the game that Ken Bates agreed to bring forward as we needed the money 
  • Options
    He was a real favourite of Jean King’s (Hantsaddick)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    shirty5 said:
    Hal1x said:
    Chelsea November 1983
    1 1. It was the game that Ken Bates agreed to bring forward as we needed the money 
    Was that the one where he was only beaten right at the end by a penalty ? He was out of this world if that's the game I'm thinking about and nothing but a penalty was going to beat him.

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    shirty5 said:
    Hal1x said:
    Chelsea November 1983
    Was that the one where he was only beaten right at the end by a penalty ? He was out of this world if that's the game I'm thinking about and nothing but a penalty was going to beat him.

Thats right forgot the penalty.
  • Options

here you go 
    @Lordflashheart

Nicky looks well , who's the guy on the right
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    At first glance I thought the title of the thread  said “Nicky Johns Shits in the museum”
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:
    At first glance I thought the title of the thread  said “Nicky Johns Shits in the museum”

Might be for sale.
  • Options

here you go 
    @Lordflashheart

Nicky looks well , who's the guy on the right
    Josh Friedman 
  • Options
    He was outstanding v Chelsea that night, but I still think his performance down Plymouth in the FA Cup third round in 80/81 tops it.

The wind  that day was unbelievable. Literally goal kicks up our end were going out for corners at the same end. Paddy scored direct from a corner at the start of the second half.

John's saved three certain goals from David Kemp in the first half. Unbelievable Jeff.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

I still can’t forgive him for his reaction to us in the away end at QPR when he was in goal for them in (I think) the Milk Cup match in either 87 or 88 - Trevor Francis came on and changed the game - John’s gave it the big one to us at final whistle - git 
    David Seaman was in goal that evening. November 1988. 

Johns did play in goal for QPR back in February that year when we lost 2-0 
  • Options
    He was outstanding v Chelsea that night, but I still think his performance down Plymouth in the FA Cup third round in 80/81 tops it.

The wind  that day was unbelievable. Literally goal kicks up our end were going out for corners at the same end. Paddy scored direct from a corner at the start of the second half.

John's saved three certain goals from David Kemp in the first half. Unbelievable Jeff.

Totally agree and was going to post similar.
    Was at the game and he was outstanding, the best Charlton keeper performance I have ever seen.
    It was probably only his distribution that held him back from being a top flight player although have seen lesser goalkeepers playing in Div. 1 as it was then and was surprising that we held on to him for so long.
    Who can forget that his debut was that horrible replay at Maidstone in the cup with floodlight failure and fences crashing around us.
  • Options
    Bukta! Now there‘s a blast from the past!