Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Johns' Shirts in the Museum

2»

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Did you not get a pic of him in the museum when he visited ?

I still can’t forgive him for his reaction to us in the away end at QPR when he was in goal for them in (I think) the Milk Cup match in either 87 or 88 - Trevor Francis came on and changed the game - John’s gave it the big one to us at final whistle - git 
    David Seaman was in goal that evening. November 1988. 

Johns did play in goal for QPR back in February that year when we lost 2-0 
    Ah !!!

Thanks - he defo gave it the big one at the final whistle though
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

I still can’t forgive him for his reaction to us in the away end at QPR when he was in goal for them in (I think) the Milk Cup match in either 87 or 88 - Trevor Francis came on and changed the game - John’s gave it the big one to us at final whistle - git 

Ah !!!

He did, when they scored and at the end...
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    He was outstanding v Chelsea that night, but I still think his performance down Plymouth in the FA Cup third round in 80/81 tops it.

The wind  that day was unbelievable. Literally goal kicks up our end were going out for corners at the same end. Paddy scored direct from a corner at the start of the second half.

John's saved three certain goals from David Kemp in the first half. Unbelievable Jeff.

Totally agree and was going to post similar.
    Was at the game and he was outstanding, the best Charlton keeper performance I have ever seen.
    It was probably only his distribution that held him back from being a top flight player although have seen lesser goalkeepers playing in Div. 1 as it was then and was surprising that we held on to him for so long.
    Who can forget that his debut was that horrible replay at Maidstone in the cup with floodlight failure and fences crashing around us.
    Ultimately he was a top flight goalkeeper, for us and QPR, although this was a relatively small number of appearances in the context of his total career. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Ah !!!

He did, when they scored and at the end...

He got a bit of stick from some our fans beforehand as I remember
  • Options
    Some nice words from Nicky in the Stevenage programme where he is the latest "Cult Hero"

Residing in Petts Wood, Johns is a
    regular back at The Valley, but not on
    a matchday.
    “I spend a fair bit of time in the
    Charlton Museum as I’ve been trying
    to get together all the programmes
    from when I played,” he said. “I’ve got
    records of all the games I played from
    when I was 13. I don’t go to many
    games. But I still look out for Millwall
    and Charlton’s results as both sets of
    supporters are brilliant.