Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• still gutted it didn't work out for him here, really liked the fella

wish him well wherever he goes next

I believe he’s going to Tumbledown Cottage, the rehab home for failed League One managers, where he will surely meet Garner. They don’t promise miracles, but do have a good record in advising how to:-

Get defenders to kick the ball hard up the pitch.

Dump the tippy tappy style.

Stop goalies from messing about

Use substitutions when your team can’t get near the ball.

Avoid fantasising about being a Premiership team

Decline from bigging up the area you move into - until you’ve taken a walk around - preferably with a baseball bat.

Avoid football press gangs who pay the King’s shilling.  (The only outcome is to cop the blame for everything).

Stop buying pints for the supporters

Stop being mates with squad members.

Tumbledown Mission Statement

At the end of the course, managers will be reinvigorated enough to ...

Rejoin the EFL Football manager's Merry-Go-Round.

Be able to set their stall out.

Exercise a charm Offensive.

Hint how things were just beginning to turn around at the previous sacking.

Talk the hind legs off a donkey.

And get back ‘on the grass’?!!😉
  • Shame his wife is under the illusion that every 9-5 job is 'boring'.

A bit patronising especially after they both acknowledged the working class population of the South East.
  • Always comes over as a decent man. Shame it didn’t work out for him but that’s football.
  • Interview on Sky+ if you go to the Football League section under Sport / Football 
  • edited October 2023
    I think results have improved under Appleton but we are not where we want to be yet and the options are greater for him. That is not a criticism of Appleton, he has not been with us long enough but the aim has to be more complete 90 plus minute performances where we are unlikely to lose. Of course we will lose some, but that 'unlikely' bit is the bit that gets you on the sort of runs that lead to promotion. Holden may well have got to this point with a fit squad and more striking options.

Having said that, he didn't and the ball is in Appleton's court and he has made a promising start. If Holden wants to apportion blame, a certain Welling United defender must take a big chunk of it but he hasn't done so. 
  • Was he Sandgaard or the new lots choice?

Nice guy, improved us after Garner but feel he got a lot of extra credit after the old trafford display otherwise nothing really memorable happened under his management 
  • He improved is at home but we were awful away. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of his home and away record
  • Sponsored links:

• 5/2 fav to take over Colchester.  :)
    Would be kind of hilarious tbf. Those who do not learn from history...
  • Holden would jump at the chance of going to Colchester.
  • Feel a bit sorry for Holden personally. Started the season with a half arsed squad with key players injured and half the team not signed until he went.

He left, almost immediately we signed 3-4 players and 2-3 key ones returned from injury and the new manager gets praise for using his bench well.  Holden just didn't have those options.

I don't think therefore you can really tell how much is the manager change and how much is players.

Ultimately Appleton needs to perform as we now have a decent squad for L1 and whilst using the bench well is good, his set up at the start should mean he does not have to rely on the bench changes as much as he maybe has to date.

Good luck to Holden, there are obviously doubts but I hope he goes on to do well.  I like him and Appleton albeit seem very different people.

Completely agree. People forget too quickly, we got 4 players in straight after he was sacked who we have needed, plus Leaburn and Chuks back.

I have had this type of crap at work (albeit not been sacked) where you leave a job for another because the idiots running the place won't listen to you on staff etc then a few weeks after, they do what you told them to do because they realised you were right. 

Not that I am bitter...unlike Holden...
  • edited October 2023
    Against Blackpool, I noticed Alfie won a throw in nearly the corner flag. Rather than take it, he passed it back to our RB and moved into space to receive the ball.

The brainstorming of Alfie on throw ins was quite telling of his on field ideas. We regressed in every way possible on set pieces so soon after after a Summer pre season.
  • I’d be quite happy to see Holden come back to us in the future. Five games into a season with influential players out injured is a ridiculously short of amount of time to prove yourself and I genuinely feel he loved being at Charlton . 
    Hard disagree. He had injuries to deal with but were still performing massively below expectations due to decisions he was making.

We disintegrated faster than any of us could imagine and were an absolute mess by the end… no clue how to attack or defend set pieces, continual late goals gifted to the opposition… Alfie May on corners and throw ins by the end ffs… 

I think @Garrymanilow has him spot on. He’s the kind of bloke you’d love to work for and that makes him a great short term motivator a club brings in to help stabilise a rudderless ship. But rely on him too long and things fall apart. It ended up the same way for him at Bristol City.

Lovely bloke and I would’ve loved it to work out. Maybe in another universe.
    Yeah this is how I see it too - he got dealt a very poor hand but played it badly for all that. It's hard to know for sure given that players signed/returned just after he left but I just don't think players would have had the fortitude or fitness to make some of the comebacks under Holden they did under Appleton, regardless of tactical options.

Might be recency bias on my part of course and I still admire Holden as a person but I think he'd run his course here.
  • edited October 2023
    https://x.com/gabsutton/status/1714988587010158739?s=46&t=mEmS51nyCqmemhJshcDkBA

Podcast with Holden, did confirm that he was sacked over the phone but he didn’t seem too bothered about it. Overall a really interesting listen and as usual he comes across as a top bloke 

Also didn’t realise how unlucky he was to lose his Bristol City job, hasn’t had the best luck with injuries in his short managerial career so far
  • Sponsored links:

• @AFKABartram, I remember you being sceptical for some time about Holden, and saw him as a media trained interim.
  • I think in the long term he could be a good assistant manager.  He'd be useful as the good cop go between.
  • The Oxford team selection was his downfall.....dreadful

• edited October 2023
    ct_addick said:
    The Oxford team selection was his downfall.....dreadful

We should have sacked him after the first game he had against Oxford. Was just as bad.
  • ct_addick said:
    The Oxford team selection was his downfall.....dreadful

I posted on the match thread that the team selection showed he had lost it and don't have an idea on formation and personnel and got shot down.

he got it so wrong that day 
  • The warning signs were there for me during pre season. Persisting with three at the back when our defence isn't good enough when there's four there and playing CBT at wing back. Everyone knows Corey's biggest asset is pace and running with the ball so why give him defensive responsibility? Unfortunately for Dean, he got it wrong early and in being 'pro active' pretty much changed the whole team against Oxford and again we lost. Seems a nice bloke but not sure if he's tactically up to it
  • The players weren't fit enough after pre season either, hence all the late goals we conceded. And he had no idea what hie centre back partnership should be, which wasn't ideal either.
  • Doesn't specifically mention Holden but this basically backs up what people were saying about him wanting to be everyone’s mate https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-are-one-of-league-ones-form-teams-so-what-has-michael-appleton-changed-to-spark-upturn/
  • edited October 2023
    fenaddick said:
    Doesn't specifically mention Holden but this basically backs up what people were saying about him wanting to be everyone’s mate https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-are-one-of-league-ones-form-teams-so-what-has-michael-appleton-changed-to-spark-upturn/
    To be fair, he could've just stopped his response at, "we've got more players" and it would still be spot on.
  • I look at our side now and the attacking options are second to none. These options were not there at the start of the season. Appleton is doing a great job though. This cannot be argued.