Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goalkeeper situation

I know the defence is terrible but I think its becoming apparent that both AMB (for now) and Istead are not up to it in the division as No.1s of a side looking for promotion.

Free agent market has Matt Macey, Jed Steer and Sam Walker available. 

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Being saying this too. Two poor keepers. Not vocal, too short and what saves they make push the ball back into the danger area  
  • Options
    I said at the start I don't rate AMB, the more I see of Isted the less I rate him as well. It's a massive problem.

We missed a real trick not getting Connor Ripley, he has been a real shrewd signing for Port Vale and done well at the Valley.

Just shows again the poor scouts/recruitment team we have. It's something that needs to be throughly addressed 
  • Options
    Not convinced by either but can’t see us signing a free agent when they’re on the books.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rothko said:
    what’s in front of them isn’t helping either 
    Doesn't help that two goals last night came as a result of Full-Back error... 4th choice Right-Back | 4th choice Left-Back.

If two from Asiimwe | Watson | CBT had replaced Chin | Edun, then I don't think we'd have conceded those last two goals.

But as I always say myself... Hindsight is a beautiful gift.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    what’s in front of them isn’t helping either 
    But less about Russell Wilson....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Feel sorry for Isted. Don’t think he’s made any howlers, but despite conceding four last night he’s had few opportunities to make the sort of eye catching saves that normally occur in a game. He didn’t get near any of them yesterday. Or would another keeper have done better? Have no idea. 
  • Options
    I know the defence is terrible but I think its becoming apparent that both AMB (for now) and Istead are not up to it in the division as No.1s of a side looking for promotion.

Thoughts?
    Steer has barely played since he left us, about 5 games! He was also injured with an Achilles (again) and out for almost a season.

I don't rate either keeper we have, not helped by the overall team defensively, but neither seem to look convincing. Isted has never been first choice before, other than for Wealdstone when on loan.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Absolute madness to get rid of Wollacott.

I know we have a habit of making our players better in our heads after they leave, but he was fairly solid pre injury and I don't feel like Holden was too keen to stick with AMB last season rather than go back our actual number 1 keeper.
    I thought Holden seemed to prefer AMB, even when Wollacott was fit again. Seemed a mistake to let him go, but presumably it was an economic decision
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I know we have a habit of making our players better in our heads after they leave, but he was fairly solid pre injury and I don't feel like Holden was too keen to stick with AMB last season rather than go back our actual number 1 keeper.
    I thought Holden seemed to prefer AMB, even when Wollacott was fit again. Seemed a mistake to let him go, but presumably it was an economic decision
    sorry, that's what I meant but worded it wrong
  • Options
    Croydon said:

That and the fact that Wollacott probably didn't fancy being number 2 when Holden preferred AMB.

It's a shame as I preferred Wollacott too, but then given he's already injured again at Hibs maybe we just avoided having one more in the treatment room and having no other option to AMB?
  • Options
    Amb is a better keeper than isted 
  • Options
    For me, AMB is the better keeper and I don’t understand why Holden dropped him, other than a struggling manager’s decision to “change things”. He regularly pulled off exceptional saves and will improve with more experience.

I’m afraid that Isted inspires very little confidence. Prior to his purple patch at Barnsley in the second half of last season, he’d only played 3 games for Luton in 6 years between 2017 and 2023 and maybe there’s a reason for that.

He was beaten at his near post for the fourth goal last night, although I’m not sure there was much he could do about that or the others, although he did look statuesque when the Crawley player headed the second goal over him.

As others have said, playing in front of a continually shaky defence, with no established partnerships, is not going to help any keeper.
  • Options
    Try the 2 mistakes against Bristol Rovers as the reason for AMB being dropped. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thoughts?
    AMB, Isted, Macey, Steer and Walker could help Charlton start to keep clean sheets. But only if they all played together. 
  • Options
    Steven81 said:
    Don’t think there’s that much in it really
  • Options
    AMB was cheaper so we kept the worse keeper. 

Sums it up really. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I know we have a habit of making our players better in our heads after they leave, but he was fairly solid pre injury and I feel like Holden was too keen to stick with AMB last season rather than go back our actual number 1 keeper.
    Agreed, that was an odd situation. Towards the end of last season, AMB was struggling slightly yet Wollacott was never given an opportunity, not even a token appearance at the end of the season to let him know he was still wanted. 

Not been impressed with Isted so far. It's not that he's made loads of mistakes, it's more that he doesn't seem to have made many decent saves.
  • Options
    the answer is..........

Joe Wollacott
  • Options
    Steven81 said:
    Really?? AMB is a good, solid keeper. Isted is all over the place. Summed it up last night when he actually froze after we lost possession from that corner as if he forgot he was meant to be in goal.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Steven81 said:
    Really?? AMB is a good, solid keeper. Isted is all over the place. Summed it up last night when he actually froze after we lost possession from that corner as if he forgot he was meant to be in goal.
    From what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think one is head and shoulders over the other. We’ll see how the season pans out
  • Options
    Perhaps we can play both together with nine outfield players?
  • Options
    AMB for me.
  • Options
    I think both are decent L1 ‘keepers, AMB the better of the two based on what I’ve seen. 

I’m not sure there’s anyone we could realistically sign that’s going to make much difference whilst the defence in-front of him is so shambolic.