Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goalkeeper situation

13»

Comments

• Options
    Isted looks less awkward and seems to handle the simple stuff better, AMB makes better camera saves and puts his body on the line every game. 

Neither are great, but yes AMB for now.
  • Options
    Don't personally think AMB has done a lot wrong. I hope he get reinstated to the team after the international break.

Too early to judge Istead.

Wollacott one of those payers who got a lot better and better the longer he was out of the team. I didn't see anything from him in half a season that said he was much better than what we currently have.
  • Options
    To think people thought it was good Amos left...
  • Options
    I know both young but with our keeper place clearly not nailed down I wonder if Beadle or Kone would have had a look in by now if they had stayed.  Such a shame to lose them both
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    A good keeper can bail out a poor team. Indeed it's the perfect opportunity for a keeper to shine.

The relevant stat might be the xG against us this season, and whether it's higher or lower than the actual goals conceded. 

• Options
    Don't personally think AMB has done a lot wrong. I hope he get reinstated to the team after the international break.

Wollacott one of those payers who got a lot better and better the longer he was out of the team. I didn't see anything from him in half a season that said he was much better than what we currently have.
    Wollacott has become an amazing keeper.
  • Options

Wollacott has become an amazing keeper.

Last season with Wollacott:
    Conceded more than one goal - 4 from 20 (20%) & we lost 3 (15%)

Last season without Wollacott:
    Conceded more than one goal - 19 from 38 (50%) & we lost 17 (45%)

Amazing? Perhaps not. A defence more confident with him in goal. Possibly so. 

• Options
    A good keeper can bail out a poor team. Indeed it's the perfect opportunity for a keeper to shine.

The relevant stat might be the xG against us this season, and whether it's higher or lower than the actual goals conceded. 

Those Wigan stats are really interesting. Conceding lots of chances, but far fewer goals than expected.

Not down to Ben Amos though, he's being kept out of the team by a newly capped England U21 international Sam Tickle.
  • Options
    These two are not good enough for a top two finish, so if they are planning for the future, one will go as they won’t want to be third choice. 
    In my opinion, they have a season to prove that they are a back up, as a new keeper is needed to help us get out of this awful division.
  • Options
    I think I think the fact that the goalkeeping coach got the bullet tells us all is not rosey in the charlton goalkeeping world - the fact is he was millwalls academy coach and replaced a well respected coach under roddys direction - that certainly didn’t help retain our best young keepers 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think NJ replacing Maynard-Brewer with Isted is one of the reasons the defence has looked more solid. 
  • Options
    I think Isted benefitted from not being in the side during our period of madness prior to NJ arriving. ANB probably came in too soon and as a young keeper was found out through inexperience and then a total desertion of confidence. NJs decision has been proved to be right but I hope AMB will rise again 
  • Options
    Kicking: better
    Communication: better
    Decision making: also suspect
    Dealing with crosses: Similar to AMB, could be better
    Shot stopping: not as good, imo

His return to the side has definitely coincided with improved defending, I'm not convinced he's a major reason for that but I do think he has generally been calmer than AMB and is has helped. I still think AMB has the higher ceiling but the last couple of months have laid bare areas he needs to work on. I don't think either of them are especially brilliant keepers right now, but Isted edges it and there is certainly no reason to drop him at the moment.