Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 25
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Appleton is a fantastic manager, just needs to work on his communication, acting, tactical awareness, man management , media management, touch line presence , substitutions, formations, player instructions, fan relations, tattoos , clapping, set piece drills, defensive instructions , game management and transfers.

That’s harsh, I need to defend him here as he did show some promise - his tattoos are at least mid table League 1 standard.
    Ooo I dunno, I like tattoos and I'd have his down as national league standard at best. 

It's always beyond me when people who are bankrolled have shoddy tats, why go cheap on something there for life 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    TEL said:
    Andy Scott.....Technical Director...says it all really.
    Why ? Why does there have to be someone to blame if MA .. was the best available then so be it …. Richard Murray made a number of poor calls .. 
    Scott said Appleton was the stand out candidate. 
    If you look at Appleton's record as a manager it's largely very very poor. 
    Do you believe Scott will get it right this time.?
    Sorry, but I disagree. Over many more games his win ratio is equal to Powell's. Is his record considered largely poor? No, because with  us it was more than 50%.

Appleton's is much worse with us, very poor, and he's paid the price. But it's a myth to say he is/was a serial loser. I'm far more concerned about about Scott's track record in doing what he does?
    Appleton's win %

at Charlton 28.6%
    at Portsmouth 25.5%
    at Blackburn 26.7%
    at Blackpool 16.7%
    at Blackpool again 24.1%

He most definitely is a serial loser. Why the board ever thought he would be a successful appointment is beyond me.
    Looking at this it's hard to understand how anyone can say he's not a loser.

Because statistically he's won more games than he's lost in his managerial career, even after managing us. At least that's my simple answer. It is the truth.
  • Options
    Personal insults are beneath us... Let's not start slagging off Appleton based on his appearance etc, it's childish. 

He was simply not good enough. That's it. 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/8WXdlTyDkyk?si=tPrI1gqd9wJY-Sw9

What's crazy is having watched back my old video to compare now to then, I literally photoshopped a thumbnail with a 'to do list' with his only job being to finish mid-table, and he wouldn't have even been able to manage that. Some bloke.

• Options
    MuttleyCAFC - you are on my wave length. As I said in an earlier post, why did they sack Appleton? ( I am not disagreeing with the decision) but in order to move on and hopefully get it right you need to know what went wrong and why. To say we lost too many games is to simple, it’s again why and what was Appleton not doing right.
    i am still not over the Directors podcast where Elliott spouted rubbish and Rodwell gave textbook answers. 
    We need to be realistic, not all clubs are in the Premier League, not all clubs are top of the table. But with the resources we have, ground, fan base, hinterland of local talent we should be better than we are. 
    I have to admit I do not have the money to buy the club and solve problems. As we know Sandagard has £100M and that is not enough! Our Belgium friend is one of the problems. He had mad ideas -remember Thurman in goal and Laporte standing on the pitch, but him owning all the meaningful assets is a huge problem.
    i think we have to have an anticipation of being a top League one team with a aspiration of the Championship. That is why your suggestion of internal promotions and go from there.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    TEL said:
    Why ? Why does there have to be someone to blame if MA .. was the best available then so be it …. Richard Murray made a number of poor calls .. 
    Sorry, but I disagree. Over many more games his win ratio is equal to Powell's. Is his record considered largely poor? No, because with  us it was more than 50%.

Appleton's is much worse with us, very poor, and he's paid the price. But it's a myth to say he is/was a serial loser. I'm far more concerned about about Scott's track record in doing what he does?
    Appleton's win %

at Charlton 28.6%
    at Portsmouth 25.5%
    at Blackburn 26.7%
    at Blackpool 16.7%
    at Blackpool again 24.1%

He most definitely is a serial loser. Why the board ever thought he would be a successful appointment is beyond me.

Because statistically he's won more games than he's lost in his managerial career, even after managing us. At least that's my simple answer. It is the truth.
    Technically yes, although only by 8 (169 wins to 161 losses) and its not hard to imagine he was on course to change that if he hadn't been sacked here.

If he's not a "loser" statistically you can't honestly say he's much of a winner either by the same metric.

For me the numbers are irrelevant anyway. The fans had absolutely no faith in him and I'm far from convinced the players did either. The evidence suggests that he just wasn't doing very well at his job of training players and planning tactics to win games of football, simple as that.
  • Options
    mogodon said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Ghana has sacked Chris Hughton after an early exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.
    No thanks, he's terrible too

Yeah not for me. By all accounts a great guy from speaking to Brighton fans but managerially his time has gone. 
    Yeah seems a lovely bloke
    We don't need a lovely bloke. We need a hard-nosed bastard that can keep us in League One and then build a side for a possible promotion push next year
    I'll go for that. I think some fans want it both ways. They want a cultural Marxist woke FC where we are the most right on as you can possibly get bending to every last virtue signalling cack in the cosmos. And then we also want a no nonsense hard nosed Neil Warnock (def not woke!) to blast us back into the championshiposphere. Can't have both. I'll take the latter! 
    Are you Ronnie Moore’s twin brother . 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    swordfish said:
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    TEL said:

Appleton's win %

at Charlton 28.6%
    at Portsmouth 25.5%
    at Blackburn 26.7%
    at Blackpool 16.7%
    at Blackpool again 24.1%

Technically yes, although only by 8 (169 wins to 161 losses) and its not hard to imagine he was on course to change that if he hadn't been sacked here.

If he's not a "loser" statistically you can't honestly say he's much of a winner either by the same metric.

For me the numbers are irrelevant anyway. The fans had absolutely no faith in him and I'm far from convinced the players did either. The evidence suggests that he just wasn't doing very well at his job of training players and planning tactics to win games of football, simple as that.
    Overall he looks like more of a winner than loser on that metric doesn't he? but I agree not on others. I'm not trying to defend his appointment, but if people are claiming his track record, which isn't bad in L1, should have ruled him out of contention for the job, I disagree.

In any case, for all I know, he was the only one interviewed prepared to take the job, but no more from me on this. Enough already. He's gone and best forgotten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Serious question, how many of us would welcome Lee Bowyer as Interim boss until the end of the season, with it then being reviewed by all after that?
  • Options
    edited January 25
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Serious question, how many of us would welcome Lee Bowyer as Interim boss until the end of the season, with it then being reviewed by all after that?
    He told Cawley he's not interested and happy with his current job. Otherwise I'd be fine with it.
  • Options
    Was Appleton's 2 Blackpool spells under different owners? Does seem very odd he failed there twice. 
  • Options
    edited January 25
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Now I despised how he acted towards the end, but after seeing what the Sandgaard's did to the club behind closed doors... It is quite understandable why he became Angry Bowyer all over again... 

So yeah I'd snap him up, but only on a perm. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Was Appleton's 2 Blackpool spells under different owners? Does seem very odd he failed there twice. 
    1st time he resigned to go to Blackburn.
  • Options

Appleton is a fantastic manager, just needs to work on his communication, acting, tactical awareness, man management , media management, touch line presence , substitutions, formations, player instructions, fan relations, tattoos , clapping, set piece drills, defensive instructions , game management and transfers.

Surely Scott's statement at the outset, dispels any possible reason that Appleton should need to work on any of your areas of weakness,. Indeed Scott was quoted as saying that Appleton, "has worked at the very top level" .

Can anyone that has moved beyond life's Sticklebricks stage, actually be expected to believe such crap? There's one thing, someone having a 'good interview' but there must be evidence to back up one's bluster.

I consider myself to be excellent at interviews BUT, that doesn't mean I can just rock up at NASA and think I'm going to be getting on the next shuttle.

Come on Scott, please come out and admit it, it is YOU that fecked it up, but NOT YOU, that will be paying the price of YOUR mistakes. 

I wouldn't trust you to buy me a Milky Way, let alone sign off contracts worth £millions. 
  • Options
    what if Interim was on the table for now and then it would be looked at in the summer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    what if Interim was on the table for now and then it would be looked at in the summer?
    Too late for next season, need to identifying players now for when the summer window opens.
  • Options
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

Corey's agent elaborating on what he said the other day, proves he's not got a clue really...
    What I've taken from that is Corey needs a better agent because that was a tough read. How on earth does that guy negotiate contracts?!
    Curiosity got the better of me, so I took a peek at his profile. I didn't have to scroll down far to find this gem:

A man once cheated me out of £15,000. He thought I would drop it. My revenge was sweet. I moved to his girl. Fucked his girl & then spent £15,000 on her. I don’t even know if that sounds childish but I really do sleep well knowing I’ve got that type of victory under my pillow.

Sounds just the right professional person I'd want as my agent............not.
    #DHOTYA
  • Options
    Thinking about Dubai saying (I think) that AS stood in the way of MA’s sacking on Sunday. Is it possible that with the additional funds available, people higher up wanted AS to move on from MA and get someone higher calibre, but AS wanted to stick a bit longer as it’s his guy?
  • Options
    Rob62 said:
    Nathan Jones has Charlton links and would
    be my clear number one choice, if there’s any chance I hope we go for it.
    Not from what I have heard of him from his time in Southampton.

No I will not say what it was.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Rob62 said:
    Nathan Jones has Charlton links and would
    be my clear number one choice, if there’s any chance I hope we go for it.
    Not from what I have heard of him from his time in Southampton.

No I will not say what it was.
    I don't understand this in the context of the initial post...?