Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Roman Empire

How often do you think about it? 

Comments

• Options
    wawely, Wodewick.

Actually I'm pretty into history - so, often. Particularly like Romano Briton.
  • Options
    What have they ever done for us?
  • Options
    wawely, Wodewick.

Actually I'm pretty into history - so, often. Particularly like Romano Briton.
    I find the period immediately after Roman Britain really interesting. In the past it was thought that one of the most advanced civilisations up to that point in history basically upped sticks and left and the country plunged into cultural darkness, but we’re learning that wasn’t really the case. 

“Look to your own defence”, quite painful as a Charlton fan sometimes!
  • Options
    Romans did nothing for us!!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I think every day but my answer depends on context, is it just the Roman empire or Byzantium, Third Rome(Russia) and their technological innovations etc.
    It's less about the Romans Empire directly for me and the other subjects offshot from that ala aqueducts, road maintenance, construction etc
  • Options
    Finished watching I, Claudius recently so I guess a fair bit. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I like history and read a lot of history books (fiction and non fiction). But I'm currrently reading the Conn Iggulden books about Genghis khan so no provocation to think about the Romans then. My daughter is learning latin (bizarrely it's comulsory in Spain at her age) but beyond occasionally pointing out what a useless subject that is, it doesn't provoke me to 'think about Romans'. 

Unless something specific occurs (visiting a Roman Villa, watching Gladiator etc) I rarely think about Romans or their empire. And to be honest, I think that survey is rubbish.
    Alea Jacta Est (which I half remember from Asterix books).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I suppose Chelsea fans still dream of the days when Abramovich was in charge.
  • Options
    I like history and read a lot of history books (fiction and non fiction). But I'm currrently reading the Conn Iggulden books about Genghis khan
    Excellent series... Just finished reading this again myself.
  • Options
    Can’t wait for Gladiator 2!
  • Options
    I like history and read a lot of history books (fiction and non fiction). But I'm currrently reading the Conn Iggulden books about Genghis khan so no provocation to think about the Romans then. My daughter is learning latin (bizarrely it's comulsory in Spain at her age) but beyond occasionally pointing out what a useless subject that is, it doesn't provoke me to 'think about Romans'. 

Unless something specific occurs (visiting a Roman Villa, watching Gladiator etc) I rarely think about Romans or their empire. And to be honest, I think that survey is rubbish.
    The Roman ones, at least the ones about Caesar, are just as good as the Genghis Khan ones. But genuinely two of my favourite series of books
  • Options
    edited October 2023

There is a great deal of knowledge (taught) about the Roman Empire, the British Empire and the exploits of Alexander - but relatively little about the Mongol Empire.

Genghis Khan was arguably the greatest conqueror the world has ever seen - not necessarily all good of course but incredibly impressive when you bear in mind Temugin controlled the largest contiguous land empire in world history. I've read a bit about him but know much less than I should and I intend to correct that when retirement gives me more time. 
  • Options
    Think about it more in July and August.
  • Options
    Quite often when travelling on Watling Street locally.
  • Options
    I live just off a roman road so quite a bit but never for very long.
  • Options
    The Leicester Square Empire showed better movies 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have I missed this larger context of this thread? Feel like I'm being whooshed
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    I do enjoy reading about them and the series Rome was one of my favs. 
  • Options
    I think about Seneca and Marcus Aurelius a lot. Less so The Roman Empire. 
  • Options
    What business of yours is it anyway what I'm thinking?
  • Options
    Hardly ever 
  • Options
    Written by a Charlton fan.

• Options
    I don't like to gatekeep but personally hate this trend, because now every person will sit there and say "everyday" when in reality they're not that interested nor thinking about the Roman Empire at all. Apologies for the mini rant.
    Under the radar hilarious post of the year