Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Roman Empire

2»

Comments

• Options
    Well in reply to your original question.

More than I get a good shine nowadays...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Chizz said:
    How often do you think about it? 
    As empires go this is the big one!

• Options
    IAgree said:
    Chizz said:
    How often do you think about it? 
    As empires go this is the big one!

Not as big as the the biggest one though 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I like history and read a lot of history books (fiction and non fiction). But I'm currrently reading the Conn Iggulden books about Genghis khan so no provocation to think about the Romans then. My daughter is learning latin (bizarrely it's comulsory in Spain at her age) but beyond occasionally pointing out what a useless subject that is, it doesn't provoke me to 'think about Romans'. 

Unless something specific occurs (visiting a Roman Villa, watching Gladiator etc) I rarely think about Romans or their empire. And to be honest, I think that survey is rubbish.
    Alea Jacta Est (which I half remember from Asterix books).
    There is a great deal of knowledge (taught) about the Roman Empire, the British Empire and the exploits of Alexander - but relatively little about the Mongol Empire.

Genghis Khan was arguably the greatest conqueror the world has ever seen - not necessarily all good of course but incredibly impressive when you bear in mind Temugin controlled the largest contiguous land empire in world history. I've read a bit about him but know much less than I should and I intend to correct that when retirement gives me more time. 
    Like you I knew nothing about Ghengis khan until I read the Iggulden books, and it lead me to read an actual history book on the subject. One of his generals (Tsubodia or Subutai if you prefer Wikipedia) is considered the greatest general in history - having won 65 pitched battles. And prior to Ghengis, the Mongols were a bunch of disparate tribes living in the shadows of the Chin empire. In a single generation, the laid waste to huge areas of land as they expanded their empire in all directions, and I read elsewhere that had Ghengis not suddenly died, the Mongols, who were at that stage on the edge of Europe, had little to stop them driving straight across to teh Atlantic. History could have been very different.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Have I missed this larger context of this thread? Feel like I'm being whooshed
    You came, you didn’t see, we whooshed. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    wawely, Wodewick.

Actually I'm pretty into history - so, often. Particularly like Romano Briton.
    I find the period immediately after Roman Britain really interesting. In the past it was thought that one of the most advanced civilisations up to that point in history basically upped sticks and left and the country plunged into cultural darkness, but we’re learning that wasn’t really the case. 

“Look to your own defence”, quite painful as a Charlton fan sometimes!
    Yes the supposed decay into the ‘dark ages’, but not really is really interesting. They talk about the role of the church particularly in stewarding a continuum in knowedge and learning. Which as an atheist I find a little galling but fair dues. 
  • Options
    I don’t want to be a bright spark but I only think about it on the 5th November when I set off the roman candles. :)
  • Options
    Being a Roman candle must have been a particularly horrific way to check out, even by the standards of the time.
  • Options
    No idea what the inspiration was for the OP. However, if like me you have difficulty getting to sleep I heartily recommend Mary Beard's SQPR. Easily the most boring book I've ever read which sends you to sleep within a couple of paragraphs. Genuinely know more Roman History from reading Asterix the Gaul
  • Options
    wawely, Wodewick.

Actually I'm pretty into history - so, often. Particularly like Romano Briton.
    Who's he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    never heard of the meme and would say maybe 5 times a year when see an aqueduct or something 
  • Options
    I think about the genius of how they integrated cultures and how multiculturalism was inbuilt into the Roman Empire.

bit suspicious of this trend - tend to see a lot of neo fascist/nationalist stuff come on my TikTok when I’m mostly looking at history stuff. Think this is part of that.
  • Options
    I think about the genius of how they integrated cultures and how multiculturalism was inbuilt into the Roman Empire.

bit suspicious of this trend - tend to see a lot of neo fascist/nationalist stuff come on my TikTok when I’m mostly looking at history stuff. Think this is part of that.
    The Persian empire (initially anyway) were the masters of this. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I think the early Christians would disagree that the Romans were universal in their acceptance of other cultures. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:

I think the early Christians would disagree that the Romans were universal in their acceptance of other cultures. 
    Turned out all right in the end though! 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:

However it was the monotheistic evangelical early Christians rejection of other religions which irked the empire. Actually all manner of cultures & religions were incorporated as the empire grew, without issue, except for the Abrahamic religions.
  • Options

REG: Right. Now, uh, item four: attainment of world supremacy within the next five years. Uh, Francis, you've been doing some work on this. 

FRANCIS: Yeah. Thank you, Reg. Well, quite frankly, siblings, I think five years is optimistic, unless we can smash the Roman empire within the next twelve months. 

REG: Twelve months? 

FRANCIS: Yeah, twelve months. And, let's face it. As empires go, this is the big one, so we've got to get up off our arses and stop just talking about it! 

COMMANDOS: Hear! Hear! 

LORETTA: I agree. It's action that counts, not words, and we need action now. 

COMMANDOS: Hear! Hear! 

REG: You're right. We could sit around here all day talking, passing resolutions, making clever speeches. It's not going to shift one Roman soldier! 

FRANCIS: So, let's just stop gabbing on about it. It's completely pointless and it's getting us nowhere! 

COMMANDOS: Right! 

LORETTA: I agree. This is a complete waste of time.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    I like history and read a lot of history books (fiction and non fiction). But I'm currrently reading the Conn Iggulden books about Genghis khan so no provocation to think about the Romans then. My daughter is learning latin (bizarrely it's comulsory in Spain at her age) but beyond occasionally pointing out what a useless subject that is, it doesn't provoke me to 'think about Romans'. 

Unless something specific occurs (visiting a Roman Villa, watching Gladiator etc) I rarely think about Romans or their empire. And to be honest, I think that survey is rubbish.
    Alea Jacta Est (which I half remember from Asterix books).
    There is a great deal of knowledge (taught) about the Roman Empire, the British Empire and the exploits of Alexander - but relatively little about the Mongol Empire.

Genghis Khan was arguably the greatest conqueror the world has ever seen - not necessarily all good of course but incredibly impressive when you bear in mind Temugin controlled the largest contiguous land empire in world history. I've read a bit about him but know much less than I should and I intend to correct that when retirement gives me more time. 
    A book I read a while ago, 'The Mongol Empire' by John Man .. quite brief and a good read, describes what is said in the title .. recommended ..
    in a similar vein 'Lords of the Horizons' by Jason Goodwin, a quite brief resumé of the Ottoman Empire, another not that well known about but very important long lived reign which still leaves many repercussions in Europe to this day