Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Walker signs - short term keeper cover til Jan 2024

Comments

• Options
    Nice to get a keeper in who's almost as tall as me..

Be interesting to see if he can actually exploit his height and catch a cross, feel like we have missed that commanding presence since Amos 
    there are some good catches in his highlights package up the thread.

• Options
    He'll do for back up. AMB was a big positive for us last season so happy for him to be #1
  • Options
    From the video he looks more of a presence than either AMB or Isted.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    SDAddick said:
    Last I saw was 4-6 weeks for Isted, but that was a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like he's out until mid-November at least. Sensible to sign a backup ad Molyneux is 18 and I suspect that if he was considered ready he would have been given time in the pizza game.

Sensible work. Hopefully we won't need him and he becomes a fun trivia answer with Jed Steer and Maxwell whose first name I've forgotten 
    Steer played around 20 games for us, reckon most would remember him.

Good luck to Walker, if he's half decent he's in with a chance of finding his way into the team. 
    That's right .... Steer was recalled by Villa on the eve of the January transfer window and put straight into their starting 1st X1. 

Sam Walker looks a big lad, makes Leaburn look like a dwarf.  :)
  • Options
    From the clip it seems the Scottish leagues like to shoot directly at the keeper a lot 🤣.
    Sensible move to bring someone in and if he gets a go he should be dominant in the air with his size.

• Options
    Another Gravesend lad...Welcome Sammy.
  • Options
    From the video he looks more of a presence than either AMB or Isted.
    At 6' 6" i'd be worried if he didn't have a presence.
  • Options
    Gets down well for a big 'keeper.  I'd be interested in the 'howlers' reel, to see if he's been Scotlandised.
  • Options
    He'll do for back up. AMB was a big positive for us last season so happy for him to be #1
    This adulation for AMB is bizarre. Bang average short arsed keeper with no presence whatsoever.
    He’s 6 ft 2 according to the OS. Never used to be this requirement for a keeper to be a minimum of 6 ft 5.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of curiosity @Swisdom, do you know why he still wears the mask? Is it psychological at this point? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Just out of curiosity @Swisdom, do you know why he still wears the mask? Is it psychological at this point? 
    I don't know for sure but footballers are very superstitious (especially goalkeepers) so it may just be that he feels comfortable in it now.  Remember Petr Cech wore his headgear for years after his injury so that's all I can think of
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Talal said:
    I don't know for sure but footballers are very superstitious (especially goalkeepers) so it may just be that he feels comfortable in it now.  Remember Petr Cech wore his headgear for years after his injury so that's all I can think of
    Wasn’t Cech’s headgear an attempt to make sure he didn’t get another concussion? I’m sure AMB said he wore the mask for something similar. Seems like he’s broken his nose a load so wouldn’t blame him for wanting some
    protection. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Talal said:
    Cheers
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Swisdom said:
    Talal said:
    Wasn’t Cech’s headgear an attempt to make sure he didn’t get another concussion? I’m sure AMB said he wore the mask for something similar. Seems like he’s broken his nose a load so wouldn’t blame him for wanting some
    protection. 
    I was going to say, AMB I think had picked up a couple of concussions/broken noses/head injuries in relatively short order at one point so the headgear might be worn in the mindset "prevention better than cure."
  • Options
    Sensible signing
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Not that it matters, but is he scottish?

Looks incredible on the showreel above , saves everything!
  • Options

Looks incerdible on the showreel above , saves everything!
    he's from Gravesend 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    This adulation for AMB is bizarre. Bang average short arsed keeper with no presence whatsoever.
    He’s 6 ft 2 according to the OS. Never used to be this requirement for a keeper to be a minimum of 6 ft 5.
    Many years ago Eddie Hopkinson was an excellent keeper for Bolton and England and was only about 5'9"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He looks good on the clip, be interesting to see what he's like with his feet playing out.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Which bit of my post struck you as adulation?  

• Options
    edited October 2023

Looks incerdible on the showreel above , saves everything!
    he's from Gravesend 
    There be strange folk over that a way

I should know... My missus is from Gravesend!!
  • Options
    very tall (which I like) and experienced keeper, good to have him on board .. welcome Sam
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    12 years ago! I'd prefer to see a training ground video.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Last I saw was 4-6 weeks for Isted, but that was a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like he's out until mid-November at least. Sensible to sign a backup ad Molyneux is 18 and I suspect that if he was considered ready he would have been given time in the pizza game.

Sensible work. Hopefully we won't need him and he becomes a fun trivia answer with Jed Steer and Maxwell whose first name I've forgotten 
    Jed Steer actually played a few games for us. Chris Maxwell; Antti Niemi; Luke Daniels (maybe he made one League Cup appearance?); Tony Caig; Tony Warner all spring to mind as perennial benchwarmers - but again I could be wrong and appearances may have been made.
    Oh yeah, I rated Steer too, his distribution was really good (especially compared to Phillips, who was the better shot stopper). I mostly meant it in a "remember those goalkeepers who once were signed for us but whom you've forgotten?" sense. 

Neil Etheridge, Serbia and Sevilla goalkeeper Marko Dmitrovic, Dimi Mitov would fall into this category except we all remember his goal, David Button, Tony Warner is a good one.

Hey, let's just remember some goalkeepers.
  • Options
    I think this is over the top, but I do find AMB quite interesting. He's clearly highly rated by the club and is involved in the Australia set up, and you can tell there's something about him. But his decision making, footwork, and handling could all use work, and his distribution isn't great. I do think he suffers from being 24 and not having had a regular season of men's football. Obviously the plan was for him to get that last year but then he got injured and Jojo got injured and Macca was well...not very good. 

I think he has the tools for being a good goalkeeper. He makes some excellent saves and is very athletic. But I feel like he needs time to develop where he can be a #1, and I don't think we can guarantee him that given how many rough edges there still are to his game.

These days I always worry about "Albie Morganing" players in which we have them around the first team but never first team regulars. They're players with ability but need molding, and they never quite get that. 
  • Options
    Sensible signingbolloxbolder said:
    Agree, said before that I don't rate him. Walker could be first choice until Istead is fit.
    He's not short tho :)