Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Walker signs - short term keeper cover til Jan 2024

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    He may well be a dodgy keeper but I think the defender was responsible for the penalty that never was. He was obviously concerned about handling the ball on the edge of the area and ended up being very lucky not to be shown a red. 
    Ness wasn't to blame, Walker called him off and that's why he slowed down, Walker misjudges how far the ball was coming and suddenly had to try and take a swing at it with Lisbie closing him down and he was too slow to react
    If that's the case then I take back what I said about the defender. 
    Big if, that. I haven’t watched it back but my impressjon was Lisbie left Ness for dead. There’s a problem there too, Ness seems to have lost his way for whatever reason. We know he has talent though, so we need an experienced centre back in so he can go out on loan. 

For all that though, Walker looks very shaky to me. 
  • Options
    He’s third choice goalkeeper at a mid-table third tier team. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Try selling the appeal of being third choice keeper at a League One club, on a short term deal to January. 

He’s fine for a short term stop gap. 

Would have thought it was an easy sell when he’s kicking his heels without a Club.
  • Options
    I think he means it’s not an easy sell, therefore that’s the kind of quality you’re going to get.
  • Options
    I’d rather play our youth keepers. Complete waste of wages.

If he didn’t live local (& was convenient) he wouldn’t be here.
  • Options
    Watching the foul back on BBC has made my morning, but only because we won. A comedy error, quite poor goal keeping.
  • Options
    Maybe he is rusty but I am hoping AMB doesn't get injured.
  • Options
    I expected him to look a bit better than an inexperienced youth team goalkeeper. I don't think he does.
  • Options
    To me he looks like one of the worst keepers I have seen play for us (and there have been a few bad ones). Other than he is very tall, there is nothing positive to say. I really hope we don't have to play him in a league game. He looks slow and not very athletic. Has he caught anything yet? His punches are also terrible.

The goal was down to him - he called the defenders to leave and misjudged where he was (and where the ball was). Very lucky not to be sent off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob Bolder had a shaky start in his first couple of games for Charlton 
  • Options
    I’d rather play our youth keepers. Complete waste of wages.

If he didn’t live local (& was convenient) he wouldn’t be here.

Sadly Beenie and Kone both left as they would have stepped into these games and given their respective qualities, who knows, it may have launched their Charlton careers.  I have no idea of the quality of the youth ones with us now but someone like HM (on the bench last night) would likely have been 3rd choice youth behind those two.
  • Options
    Wasn't there an announcement of another young keeper, Prince something? Guess he's even further behind. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Try selling the appeal of being third choice keeper at a League One club, on a short term deal to January. 

he will be fine....as long as he doesn't have to actually play in a league game
  • Options
    He had a showreel from his time in Scotland, it must have been the only good(ish) things he ever did over many years.
    Play a youngster, not him.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Valley11 said:

Would have thought it was an easy sell when he’s kicking his heels without a Club.
    My point was, it would’ve been a hard sell to convince a top level keeper to come in as 3rd choice for three months, on not very much money. 

Can see the club’s rationale for the signing. A local lad who played last season and who is older so can pass on his experience to AMB and Isted. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Wasn't there an announcement of another young keeper, Prince something? Guess he's even further behind. 
    He played for the U21s @ Cockfosters last night.

Think Molyneux is ahead of him though 
  • Options
    Lets be fair here, that looked like one heck of a kick in the nuts, credit where its due, its normally Charlton fans , getting continuously getting kicked in the nuts, nice for the boot to be on the other foot for a change.
  • Options
    I don't understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist. He is a third choice keeper who isn't game ready.

he will play against Sutton and maybe gillingham and will then get released unless isead has a set back.

I've read criticism of him not coming for crosses and not looking like a shot stopper. In the 180 mins he didn't have to make a save from open play, they scored an og, a pen and had a free kick which he palmed away. How many crosses did they put into the box?

At this stage, he doesn't look like challenging for the no 1 spot but to read on here that he is the worst goalkeeper ever to play for us is laughable
    Unfortunately we won yesterday and Charlie Kirk wasn't there so there's very little for people to moan about. Walker had almost no shots to save and gave away a penalty. AMB also gave away a penalty against Pompey with a completely unnecessary bit of rash play but he did some saves as well so he's forgiven. We're weird with keepers at the moment, Isted came in for massive criticism despite being a new signing coming in to a team playing terribly and it's taken AMB a good few games to get into a rhythm as well but despite Walker coming in only for two cup games where he has the pressure of playing from a standing stand against a team looking to cause an upset he's apparently the worst keeper we've ever had. People have to have their tantrums somewhere, they can't function without.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few weeks ago, shortly after Isted got injured, Ash had a back injury that seriously jeopardised him playing for a short while.  Even in the warmup he was in pain and during the game he was visibly lacking mobility but we got through it.  I think it was against Exeter.  Molyneux suddenly went from third choice to being a whisker away from a league appearance.  That is why we had to get an experienced keeper in and that's why Walker is there.  I think the reaction to him is slightly OTT given he is going to be a bit rusty but, having said that, he is unlikely to be more than a backup option so is fine from now on
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I heard he's in a bit of a purple patch.
  • Options
    I don't understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist. He is a third choice keeper who isn't game ready.

he will play against Sutton and maybe gillingham and will then get released unless isead has a set back.

I've read criticism of him not coming for crosses and not looking like a shot stopper. In the 180 mins he didn't have to make a save from open play, they scored an og, a pen and had a free kick which he palmed away. How many crosses did they put into the box?

At this stage, he doesn't look like challenging for the no 1 spot but to read on here that he is the worst goalkeeper ever to play for us is laughable
    No one will ever be worse than Thuram.
  • Options

No one will ever be worse than Thuram.
    Jim Stannard?
  • Options

100%
  • Options
    Will be replaced in the window and I won’t even remember his name come 2024-25 season. Nuff said…!
  • Options
    Oh dear, he's not very good is he?
    Shouldn't be a surprise given his availability
    Still disappointing
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:

My point was, it would’ve been a hard sell to convince a top level keeper to come in as 3rd choice for three months, on not very much money. 

Can see the club’s rationale for the signing. A local lad who played last season and who is older so can pass on his experience to AMB and Isted. 

I would have thought that most unemployed keepers (other than the likes of De Gea) would prefer joining us, being paid and training properly, to sitting at home and keeping fit by yourself at the local gym. The issue for us is that there won't be many decent keepers not under contract already.

Once we get to January, it'll be interesting what Appleton does once the transfer window is  open.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:

I would have thought that most unemployed keepers (other than the likes of De Gea) would prefer joining us, being paid and training properly, to sitting at home and keeping fit by yourself at the local gym. The issue for us is that there won't be many decent keepers not under contract already.

Once we get to January, it'll be interesting what Appleton does once the transfer window is  open.
    And saying he's coming in to be 3rd choice isn't really the case with Isted out injured. It's not like Maynard-Brewer had nailed down a first team spot, I'd have thought any keeper offered the chance would've seen it as an opportunity to get into the team. 
  • Options
    He’s big asset was, he was available and willing to sign, for what I would think is a very modest short term contract.  Is most likely a little rusty as well. Cut him some slack, the guy is helping us out of a hole. However, could get caught out in the 3rd round away to Man City.