Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wasps (rugby) could move to Swanley

13»

Comments

• Options
    Looking on the map there appears to be a train line running under the site of the planned stadium but no station nearby.

Road links would be very good but public transport?

And not in a major population centre 

A new stadium with almost the same capacity but probably better corporate facilities and more parking but built for the wrong sport.

Can see the attraction for Wasps to share the Valley and for our owners to share at Swanley but it all seems a long way off with lots of hurdles to jump over, not least raising the money.

Could see Millwall joining with Wasps at Swanley.... afterall they are training at West Kingsdown.,
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    I went Blackheath v Cinderford the other week with my brother and nephew, over the old Polly ground. I was amazed by how small the crowd was. Does anyone know if they're full time professional?
    that brings up the question, what's happened to the Rectory Field, for years the home of Blackheath RUFC and occasionally  Kent CCC .. I hope it's not now  a Barratts estate
    Rectory Field is still a sports ground, hosting Blackeath cricket club, plus a half dozen tennis courts. Rugby is still played there too but I don't know who by.
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    I went Blackheath v Cinderford the other week with my brother and nephew, over the old Polly ground. I was amazed by how small the crowd was. Does anyone know if they're full time professional?
    that brings up the question, what's happened to the Rectory Field, for years the home of Blackheath RUFC and occasionally  Kent CCC .. I hope it's not now  a Barratts estate
    Rectory Field is still a sports ground, hosting Blackeath cricket club, plus a half dozen tennis courts. Rugby is still played there too but I don't know who by.
    I believe that Askeans now play rugby at Rectory Field on Saturdays while Blackheath junior boys and girls and the Women's teams play their on Sundays 
    thanks 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    I believe that Askeans now play rugby at Rectory Field on Saturdays while Blackheath junior boys and girls and the Women's teams play their on Sundays 
    thanks 
    My understanding is that Blackheath left Rectory Field after a dispute over bar takings. In effect all the clubs there (rugby, squash, cricket, tennis etc) shared bar takings equally. Blackheath Rugby tried to renegotiate with the others as the takings were primarily from first team rugby matches, by a long way I should imagine. The other clubs refused so they left to go to Well Hall. That’s what I heard anyway no idea if it’s true but makes sense.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    thanks 
    My understanding is that Blackheath left Rectory Field after a dispute over bar takings. In effect all the clubs there (rugby, squash, cricket, tennis etc) shared bar takings equally. Blackheath Rugby tried to renegotiate with the others as the takings were primarily from first team rugby matches, by a long way I should imagine. The other clubs refused so they left to go to Well Hall. That’s what I heard anyway no idea if it’s true but makes sense.
    That was my understanding as well . 
  • Options
    Why is something like this immediately frowned upon by so many? Problems like traffic being mooted as if the stadium would be dropped onto Pedham Place without any consideration to upgrading the road infrastructure etc. Brands Hatch already hosts major events locally so there is an understanding of the requirements.

It may not come off, but the benefits of this to the South East / Kent area could be huge. Jobs created in the construction of the stadium when a recession is projected next year, jobs created in the running of the new venue, local clubs boosted by added interest in the game, local pubs/restaurants and hotels getting greater footfall on matchdays and upgraded transport links and road planning to name just a few.

Also, introducing people to a new game and giving families a reason to get together and go to games without the cost of travelling across the country to support a team.

It will of course not be without issue, but I am so tired these days of every idea being met with a wall of negativity, have a bit of hope.
    Live near by and when brands hatch has a meet there are massive problem on the A20. However I do think a project like this has major positives.
    Need to just have a decent pub in that area. 
    Farningham has got some pubs that used to be decent.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    thanks 
    Bang on.  Such a shame.  We tried Well Hall on and off over a couple of seasons, but it is not Rectory Field and if we make one game a season for old times sake we are doing well.
  • Options
    Lived in Swanley for the past 15 years so know the area pretty well.All I can say is that if it ever gets built then it's a completely daft idea.

As mentioned earlier Pedham place is almost 2 miles from Swanley station & the only bus route is the 429 that stops at 4pm on a Saturday and doesn't run Sundays ! 

You would need a massive upgrade in infrastructure around the M20/M25 junction & it already is a bottleneck at any hint if trouble at the Dartford Crossing. Also a golf course is completely different to a rugby stadium (which needs to accommodate people arriving on foot & public transport rather than by car) as golfers generally have clubs, bags,shoes, trolleys to cart around & thus turn up by car. 

Totally bonkers idea & imo wont get off the ground.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Gribbo said:
    thanks 
    I'm not so sure. I heard that the Tuesday night squash meet used to get a bit lively at times - Babycham shots and tomato juice chasers all round!
  • Options
    Why is something like this immediately frowned upon by so many? Problems like traffic being mooted as if the stadium would be dropped onto Pedham Place without any consideration to upgrading the road infrastructure etc. Brands Hatch already hosts major events locally so there is an understanding of the requirements.

It may not come off, but the benefits of this to the South East / Kent area could be huge. Jobs created in the construction of the stadium when a recession is projected next year, jobs created in the running of the new venue, local clubs boosted by added interest in the game, local pubs/restaurants and hotels getting greater footfall on matchdays and upgraded transport links and road planning to name just a few.

Also, introducing people to a new game and giving families a reason to get together and go to games without the cost of travelling across the country to support a team.

It will of course not be without issue, but I am so tired these days of every idea being met with a wall of negativity, have a bit of hope.
    Live near by and when brands hatch has a meet there are massive problem on the A20. However I do think a project like this has major positives.
    But how do you get to and from Farnigham? Nearest station is miles away, and even then it's a fair walk to the golf place.

Sounds like a crazy idea. And that's before you even think about a 20,000+ seater stadium.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Earlier in this thread it was stated Wasps ran up £95 million in debts so who is footing the bill for this stadium.

Are the local councils going to get mugged off?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Like the Ebsfleet Theme Park and the Welling plans for flats at Park View Road, I will believe this only when it's finished.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

But how do you get to and from Farnigham? Nearest station is miles away, and even then it's a fair walk to the golf place.

Sounds like a crazy idea. And that's before you even think about a 20,000+ seater stadium.
    There’s a station at Eynsford. Bit of a walk but you can go past other nice pubs.
  • Options

yeah in a later post I corrected myself as I thought the golf club was the one at the other end of west kingsdown, where you have very few pubs. Portabello and I guess much further the black horse at stansted. 

• Options
    Off_it said:

There’s a station at Eynsford. Bit of a walk but you can go past other nice pubs.
    Google says Eynsford station to Pedham Place via Farningham is an hours walk. Well handy that!