Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2034 World Cup: Saudi Arabia set to host after Australia does not bid

Saudi Arabia is set to host the men's 2034 World Cup after Australia decided against bidding to stage the tournament.

Football Australia confirmed its decision only hours before Fifa's deadline for declarations of interest on Tuesday.

Saudi Arabia is the only other nation to bid.

"We have reached the conclusion not to do so for the 2034 competition," read a statement from Football Australia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67271423

Comments

• Options
    Wise of Australia... they would have wasted money on a pointless bid
  • Options
    FFS.
  • Options
    Is this really any less shit than Qatar? At least Saudi Arabia qualify occasionally. The standard now is so low, nothing would surprise me, even north korea
  • Options
    assume that means another Winter tournament messing up schedules for the domestic leagues
  • Options
    Not bothered by it being there, just like didn't care it was in Qatar, it is the fact it is another winter world cup that annoys me
  • Options
    Not happy with another winter World Cup or the fact it's been held in another football "minnow", but Saudi is a far more credible host than Qatar.

Confused why China hasn't bid though, as the obvious candidate for an Asian host.
  • Options
    Not happy with another winter World Cup or the fact it's been held in another football "minnow", but Saudi is a far more credible host than Qatar.

Confused why China hasn't bid though, as the obvious candidate for an Asian host.
    Probably because the world knew how it was going to go

Australia really is the one region now that deserves a World Cup more than anywhere else

We've had... Western and Eastern Europe | North, Central (if you call Mexico that), and South America | Middle East | East Asian | North and South Africa
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023

They were at one stage not long ago really investing in football. Trying to do what Saudis are doing now by offering huge contracts to big (if somewhat passed it) named players. Then recently that's all stopped as the clubs (most with ties to the government) were losing vast amounts of money to these foreign players and the teams they had come from. Since the Chinese FA put in transfer taxes and spending caps no money is being made. Now though that has impacted on the teams and most look close or have already gone under. 

Maybe they would see chucking money at a global tournament with a lot of money going into the hands of foreigners something they just can't do. 
  • Options
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fifa-world-cup-saudi-arabia-2034-b2438997.html

Other senior figures in football have raised the issue of how hosting the tournament in Saudi Arabia will involve all the same controversies as Qatar, from migrant labour to human rights, but on a much greater scale. Sources have pointed to how Human Rights Watch have already accused Fifa of going against their 2017 Human Rights Policy, something that was supposed to represent a major change after all the criticism for the 2018-2022 process.

There is particular frustration at how the reforms after the 2010-15 period were supposed to bring complete transparency regarding World Cup hosting, with the process moved to one vote for each of the 211 member associations. Instead, for both 2030 and 2034, the member associations will have no real choice on bids and only get to vote to ratify decisions already taken elsewhere.

There is meanwhile a belief that Saudi Arabia could yet bring in other countries to share some of the games, since it will be a 48-team tournament, and the idea of involving Egypt, Greece and other countries around the geographical region has already been raised.

• Options

They were at one stage not long ago really investing in football. Trying to do what Saudis are doing now by offering huge contracts to big (if somewhat passed it) named players. Then recently that's all stopped as the clubs (most with ties to the government) were losing vast amounts of money to these foreign players and the teams they had come from. Since the Chinese FA put in transfer taxes and spending caps no money is being made. Now though that has impacted on the teams and most look close or have already gone under. 

Maybe they would see chucking money at a global tournament with a lot of money going into the hands of foreigners something they just can't do. 
    A World Cup in 2034, would give China 10 years to try and properly build up its domestic football base, rather than just blowing money on aging foreign players. A massive failure that their national side is so much worse than South Korea's, a country a fraction of its size. 

They already have the infrastructure to hold such an event too, whereas I'm not sure Australia is big enough (25m) to hold a 48 team World Cup. Indeed few countries these days can do so unless they are massive or have money to burn on "prestige".
  • Options
    Assume that means the next world cup unplaced is 2038?  That would be 72 years after we hosted our only one. 

In that time USA have hosted 2 despite having little interest and Mexico will have had 3.  

That is disappointing given the infrastructure, fan base and history we have.  I doubt there will be one here in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Wonder how much in bribes was paid this time?
  • Options
    I bet Qatar feel stupid bribing all those people now. Just wait until no one else can be bothered and win by default, got us the Euros!
  • Options
    The 2038 WC will be co hosted by by Canada, Peru, Poland and Egypt, enabling the 2042 WC to be held in Asia again, in the UAE...
  • Options
    And Brisbane the Olympics.
  • Options
    Climate change will mean 2038 can only be held in the Arctic, but only during winter due to it being too warm in the summer months 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I mean it would be wrong to suggest that Australia may have been offered something to no-bid this wouldn’t it, yes very wrong I’m sure….
  • Options
    I can't wait for someone to find oil (or gold) in Antartica so we can play the World Cup there.
  • Options
    UK (England even) could host the world cup tomorrow, and so could several other countries. No need to pretend what this is all about. 
  • Options
    The decision was paid for, sorry I mean decided, long ago. Hence all the messing about and three continents involved in 2030.
  • Options

Probably because the world knew how it was going to go

Australia really is the one region now that deserves a World Cup more than anywhere else

We've had... Western and Eastern Europe | North, Central (if you call Mexico that), and South America | Middle East | East Asian | North and South Africa

But of a shame the Antarctic has missed out again.
  • Options
    A UK World Cup would be so good, too

We are well set up to host
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    cafctom said:
    The fact they have a ton of money doesn’t mean they’re not a credible footballing country. 

The fanbase for their international side is surprisingly good, and the team have been at most of the World Cups dating back to 1994.

Logistically makes more sense than any of the other World Cups scheduled in the coming years. Much prefer tournaments being held in one country from a match-going perspective. 

Of course there are politics being played by FIFA to shoehorn them in - that’s no surprise to anyone. 

Qatar was a great trip - and I’ll happily do this one 👍
    I thought I read somewhere they get lower crowds than the national league for their league games despite chucking millions at players to go there..... I guess when you consider over half of the world population as sub-human that will happen though.....

Enjoy your trip though assume you wont be taking the missis👍 😂