Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2034 World Cup: Saudi Arabia set to host after Australia does not bid

2»

Comments

• Options
    Steven Gerrard's club are getting 3 figure crowds. The games gone.
  • Options
    Would be great if the World Cup is staged permanently in the Middle East - I'm assuming FIFA would be happy.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Is this really any less shit than Qatar? At least Saudi Arabia qualify occasionally. The standard now is so low, nothing would surprise me, even north korea
    I'd say it's going to be worse than Qatar.

Speaking as someone who went to some games in Qatar, for me the main positive about Qatar was that fans from different nations could mix easily with no trouble at all (because everyone is shit scared if being banged up there), which of course will also apply to Saudi.

But the one thing that made it less shit was that it was so easy to travel around and get to games at different stadiums. However Saudi is a much bigger country and the distance between say Riyadh and Jeddah is a 2 hour flight.
  • Options
    Ridiculous. Corrupt.
  • Options
    At least the 2030 one will be in Spain/Portugal/ Morocco (I imagine the latter won't have as many games). It could do without the opening games being in South America though 
  • Options
    I wonder if Henderson will be an ambassador for this world cup? 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The fact they have a ton of money doesn’t mean they’re not a credible footballing country. 

The fanbase for their international side is surprisingly good, and the team have been at most of the World Cups dating back to 1994.

Logistically makes more sense than any of the other World Cups scheduled in the coming years. Much prefer tournaments being held in one country from a match-going perspective. 

Of course there are politics being played by FIFA to shoehorn them in - that’s no surprise to anyone. 

Qatar was a great trip - and I’ll happily do this one 👍
    I thought I read somewhere they get lower crowds than the national league for their league games despite chucking millions at players to go there..... I guess when you consider over half of the world population as sub-human that will happen though.....

Enjoy your trip though assume you wont be taking the missis👍 😂 
    Nah, she’ll stay at home and enjoy watching it the same way many millions of others will. 

I went to Qatar and will be going to Saudi to pursue my hobby of watching international tournaments - nothing more or less. If you or anyone else prefers to have the political conversation on it instead, then you can. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    The fact they have a ton of money doesn’t mean they’re not a credible footballing country. 

The fanbase for their international side is surprisingly good, and the team have been at most of the World Cups dating back to 1994.

Logistically makes more sense than any of the other World Cups scheduled in the coming years. Much prefer tournaments being held in one country from a match-going perspective. 

Of course there are politics being played by FIFA to shoehorn them in - that’s no surprise to anyone. 

I thought I read somewhere they get lower crowds than the national league for their league games despite chucking millions at players to go there..... I guess when you consider over half of the world population as sub-human that will happen though.....

Enjoy your trip though assume you wont be taking the missis👍 😂 
    Nah, she’ll stay at home and enjoy watching it the same way many millions of others will. 

I went to Qatar and will be going to Saudi to pursue my hobby of watching international tournaments - nothing more or less. If you or anyone else prefers to have the political conversation on it instead, then you can. 
    Well said mate.
  • Options
    Not happy with another winter World Cup or the fact it's been held in another football "minnow", but Saudi is a far more credible host than Qatar.

Confused why China hasn't bid though, as the obvious candidate for an Asian host.
    Because China will invade Taiwan soon and will be shunned by the rest of the world except for Russia and N.Korea....but then again FIFA would still let them have it there......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    cafctom said:

Stop using logic and having informed opinions. 
  • Options
    The Human Rights tour continues. 

I'm sure you'll have people in 2034 going to Saudi Arabia and claiming 'it's not that bad if you ignore the beheadings' as well. 
    As well as where?
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Not happy with another winter World Cup or the fact it's been held in another football "minnow", but Saudi is a far more credible host than Qatar.

Confused why China hasn't bid though, as the obvious candidate for an Asian host.
    Because China will invade Taiwan soon and will be shunned by the rest of the world except for Russia and N.Korea....but then again FIFA would still let them have it there......
    Committing some atrocities in Taiwan would probably give them more of a chance of hosting it, the way that FIFA seem to be awarding WC hosts.

Personally, I would theoretically go to Saudi Arabia to watch a World Cup - same as Qatar. Having not been to one before though I'd much rather save it for a host country with some football heritage like Mexico in 2026 or Spain/Portugal/Morocco. Not for political reasons, but just for a more immersive experience if you're going all the way there.

Don't get me wrong, I am against awarding it to countries with dubious human rights records - but (probably wrongly) I mostly resent FIFA giving it to crap places to go as a football fan.
  • Options

I'm sure you'll have people in 2034 going to Saudi Arabia and claiming 'it's not that bad if you ignore the beheadings' as well. 
    Hopefully when it's in America (again), it's boycotted due to the death penalty which is still in place or innocent people blown up by drones in the middle east. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Hopefully when it's in America (again), it's boycotted due to the death penalty which is still in place or innocent people blown up by drones in the middle east. 
    ValleyGary has already called them out.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Is this really any less shit than Qatar? At least Saudi Arabia qualify occasionally. The standard now is so low, nothing would surprise me, even north korea

Speaking as someone who went to some games in Qatar, for me the main positive about Qatar was that fans from different nations could mix easily with no trouble at all (because everyone is shit scared if being banged up there), which of course will also apply to Saudi.

But the one thing that made it less shit was that it was so easy to travel around and get to games at different stadiums. However Saudi is a much bigger country and the distance between say Riyadh and Jeddah is a 2 hour flight.
    I agree that could be a key difference. 

Though it wouldn't surprise me if its just 2-3 cities involved (Riyadh, Jeddah, and maybe Dammam). 

Keep in mind the increase in matches with the expanded format, meaning there could be 2-3 games in each city per day during the group stages. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    McBobbin said:

Though it wouldn't surprise me if its just 2-3 cities involved (Riyadh, Jeddah, and maybe Dammam). 

Keep in mind the increase in matches with the expanded format, meaning there could be 2-3 games in each city per day during the group stages. 
    Can any country (unless it's massive) hold a 48 team event by itself now? The 2026 WC is based in 16 cities, so assuming a similar number of stadiums is required, that's a lot for even a country with oil money to burn.

Having just come back from Saudi, due to the number of religious pilgrims, the likes of Jeddah and Medina have a lot of hotels, which will help.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    cafctom said:
    McBobbin said:

Can any country (unless it's massive) hold a 48 team event by itself now? The 2026 WC is based in 16 cities, so assuming a similar number of stadiums is required, that's a lot for even a country with oil money to burn.

Having just come back from Saudi, due to the number of religious pilgrims, the likes of Jeddah and Medina have a lot of hotels, which will help.
    I think it’s possible. Qatar held a 32 team tournament in one city and 8 stadiums, with very little issue. 

It’s more a matter of whether a country is prepared to take something of that size on single handedly, which Saudi clearly are. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    McBobbin said:

I think it’s possible. Qatar held a 32 team tournament in one city and 8 stadiums, with very little issue. 

It’s more a matter of whether a country is prepared to take something of that size on single handedly, which Saudi clearly are. 
    Little issue?