Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it a car or a van?

The Missus is looking to swap out her current car for something more practical but vastly unwieldy, uncool and quite frankly rubbish (but necessary for trips she makes all year) so we're looking at things like the VW Caddy Life, the Citroen Berlingo Multispace, the Vauxhall Combo Life and the Ford Tourneo Connect.

However our lease agreement with our parking space clearly states we cannot use the space for a commercial vehicle, and whilst these hideous psuedo-van... things are sold on commercial vehicle websites, they all claim to be a car.

Now from what I can work out anything that's got seats and windows in the back and not a great hulking cargo space is a car, regardless of the website it was bought on. 

So I put it to you, good Lifers, are these monstrosities, in your opinion, classed as a car or a van? 

Avert your eyes, or look on if you dare...

Comments

• Options
    Classed as cars mate.
    Not that I'd want one mind.
  • Options
    Surely its only commercial if you are running it for the benefit of a business. They all look like cars to me.
  • Options
    Your lease agreement should define what they consider to be a commercial vehicle. If not, the standard definition would apply, which HMRC states is:

"Weighing at least 3.5 tonnes or moreAble to haul at least one tonne of cargoFor business purposes. Lorries, vans, tractors, pickup trucks, and “car-derived vans” are all considered commercial vehicles."
  • Options
    Friend has the caddy and loves it.
  • Options
    If your lease says no commercial vehicle, then you can park anything you like so long as it is not commercial. You would not be able to park a taxi but you could park a mini-bus used to carry your 12 kids or even a humvee or maybe a tank for your wargame weekends. The horrible vehicles you show are cars.
  • Options
    'Swap' ?

I'm not surprised someone is trying to offload theirs - they will probably accept a 2nd hand phone or something equally useful for it  :)

(I jest I  know what you mean - but it made me think of Noel Edmonds and the Multi-Coloured Swap Shop!)
  • Options
    Friend has the caddy and loves it.
    I've always thought that's a lazy way to play golf.
  • Options
    first question: how will the landlord know what you've parked? Is the lot gated? Attended?  Will it be covered in branding stickers etc?
    The classification of the vehicle is probably already set.  If you're buying it from a dealer you'll know for sure - if it's a commercial it will almost certainly be priced +VAT (there can be exceptions).  VAT not an issue for private buyers of 2nd hand cars
    Windows and seats make no odds, there are loads of double cab commercials for carrying a few colleagues as well as stuff.
    At DVLA a vehicle doesn't have to be over 3.5tons to be a goods vehicle, there are also Light Goods Vehicles.  The weight makes a difference for the type of MOT inspection
    Do the manufacturers market those models as cars or commercials?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a Mercedes Citan traveliner for shifting the dog around, (Irish wolfhound) and it is perfect for the job. Under the branding it is a renault kangoo or any of the other makes that come out of the same french factory, Peugeot, VW etc. 
     When I tried to add it to my car insurance I was told that it couldn't be added as a car because it was a van and that they (NFU) didn't insure vans, so took it elsewhere. Advantage is that the Road Tax on it is low and shopping around  I got a decent price on the insurance.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    We lived on a private estate in the UK.
    It clearly said no commercial vehicles were allowed to park there. Five years after being built it was white van central. No one gave a shite.
    You’ll be grand.
  • Options
    I have a 9 year old Ford Tourneo Connect, the looks have grown on me, and it's ideal if you ever have to go somewhere wearing ceremonial headdress (not that I do), it's basically a Focus underneath, so reasonably zippy and economical with it...

The latest version is a cooperative venture with VW and their Caddy.

My MOTs and insurance say it's a car.
  • Options
    I remember being charged the commercial rate for taking a KA van through the Dartford tunnel.  I said to the bloke, "You're having a laugh this is smaller than most cars" - he said, "Still a van mate, pay up!"

Blimey that ages me. when was the last time you could pay manually there?  :/

• Options
    They're not much to look at, but I've got a Berlingo and they're really practical for families. The sliding back doors are useful getting kids out in a narrow car park space.
  • Options
    Van based vehicles are brilliant for families and have loads of space. 

I have a Doblo and its classified as a car. Sliding doors as @GNelson says are very useful.
  • Options
    Is it a car or a van... no its a shed!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Van based vehicles are brilliant for families and have loads of space. 

I have a Doblo and its classified as a car. Sliding doors as @GNelson says are very useful.
    Isnt Doblo Lego?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies, to be honest I was hoping someone would say it's a van so we can look at something else but alas it's not meant to be! 

Trying to push for a Caddy Life I think, it's the least shit looking of the bunch, and can get some mod cons like heated seats and the like at least 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not only are they good for carrying loads, but also good rear space in the event of having the inability to use your legs and needing an additional set of wheels.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Thanks for all the replies, to be honest I was hoping someone would say it's a van so we can look at something else but alas it's not meant to be! 

Trying to push for a Caddy Life I think, it's the least shit looking of the bunch, and can get some mod cons like heated seats and the like at least 

I've got heated seats in my Focus.  Hate them.  First time I tried them it felt like I'd pissed myself. 
    The only time I turn them on now is to give an unsuspecting passenger that same uncomfortable feeling.
  • Options
    If it helps, around 12 years ago there was a Caddy TDI racer which was good fun.

• Options
    Get her a pick up truck with a rear canopy:
    Truckman GLS Hard Top Canopy  Truckman
  • Options
    My eyes….they bleed!!

make them go away mummy
  • Options
    I have a lwb VW Transporter shuttle, bought from VW Commercial but not classed as commercial. I think if it has windows all around then you are OK. Worth checking the terms of your lease but 99% sure you'll be fine. 

Unless of course you see this as the perfect opportunity to dissuade the wife in which case it's a legal non-starter!
  • Options
    I have given my wife permission to hit me over the head with a hammer should I ever say out loud: “That new Citroen Berlingo looks nice!”.
  • Options
    I’ve had a Citroen Belingo van - actual van no windows - for 12 years. Bloody good van!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Get her a pick up truck with a rear canopy:
    Truckman GLS Hard Top Canopy  Truckman
    Until the dogs start to age early with arthritis for jumping in and out or you have a ramp similar to ones used motorcycle stunt riders. 😉