Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Front Two

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
It will be interesting to see what the front two will be. We certainly have enough permutations now although I reckon Dickson will go on loan and Bent may go. As Pards says we lack genuine pace up front, especially without Varney. Could Varney and McLeod play together. Why not ? However, this Saturday I'd go with Iwelumo/Bent with McLeod. Toddy can't play 90 minutes and will be more effective off the bench. ZZ won't have settled in time and won't make the bench.

Comments

• Options
    why does it have to be two up front....??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]why does it have to be two up front....??

two ain't enough for you is it lover boy
  • Options
    ha ha. This is my team at the moment (controversial!):

My team now

Weaver

Moo2Kill,Paddy, Bougherra, MilkSnatcher

Thomas, Ambrose, Semedo, ZZ, Reid

Iwelumo

Subs:
    McLeod
    Todorov
    Sinclair
    Randolph
    Fortune
  • Options
    1 up front, you're mad!
  • Options
    i'm a tactical genius thank you very much
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]1 up front, you're mad!

We must defend in depth - we are playing Scunthorpe at home, don't forget! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i'm a tactical genius thank you very much

Anyone is a management tactical genius when it comes to football compared to Rothko :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Do one!
  • Options
    even curbs wouldn't play one up front home to scunthorpe!!!!

wss out! wss out!
  • Options
    I bet Curbs would ....... especially at home !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]even curbs wouldn't play one up front home to scunthorpe!!!!

wss out! wss out!

He would also have eveyone back for a corner!
  • Options
    my team is not defensive though!

WSS's Red and White Army!

WSS is a legend, he wears a legend's hat and when he plays one up front the other team says "drat"

(that last one needs some work)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]even curbs wouldn't play one up front home to scunthorpe!!!!

wss out! wss out!

He would also have eveyone back for a corner!

I could never see the point of that. If you keep a man up front, it provides an outlet and opponenents keep an extra defender back.

If you bring everyone back, opponents push extra players forward, it creates defensive mayhem in your own box, and you've no outlet - creating further pressure on your defence.
  • Options
    some of the best attacking football i've seen us play was when we were 1 up front. Boro away anyone ?

It can be whatever you want it to be, it just means that you break as a unit and support and get beyond that front guy, and resist the temptation to play it long when he is isolated.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]some of the best attacking football i've seen us play was when we were 1 up front. Boro away anyone ?

It can be whatever you want it to be, it just means that you break as a unit and support and get beyond that front guy, and resist the temptation to play it long when he is isolated.
    you can be my assistant
  • Options
    Toddy & McLeod with options on the bench? If Toddy doesn't last we can replace him
  • Options
    Back to the subject, I think it'll be McLeod and Varney as the front pair, with Toddy and Big Chris on the bench
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Guys like Thomas, Reid, Ambrose and Zheng are going to push forward anyway so 4-5-1 will quickly be 4-3-3 when we are attacking.

I feel much happier now despite Diawara going as we have real attacking options now be it 4-5-1 or 4-4-2.

Teams are going to have to worry about us now rather than the other way round!
  • Options
    Could be exciting at some stage - pace, pace, pace. For Saturday though?
  • Options
    Saturday? McLeod and Big Chris
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Varney still injured?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]some of the best attacking football i've seen us play was when we were 1 up front. Boro away anyone ?

away in the prem is a different story. i don't expect we'll be soaking up scunthorpe pressure at home and looking to score on the break. we need to have an effective system of attack at home against teams who will, far more often than not, be sitting back themselves. we'll have a lot of the ball in the final third and we need to use it to good effect.
  • Options
    4-5-1 actually often allows you more attacking players on the pitch than a 442 sheer weight of numbers often make up for not having a battler in midfield
  • Options
    I don't think Pards has bought all these strikers so he will play one upfront, and certainly not at home.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]some of the best attacking football i've seen us play was when we were 1 up front. Boro away anyone ?

quote]

Did we win that match?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]4-5-1 actually often allows you more attacking players on the pitch than a 442 sheer weight of numbers often make up for not having a battler in midfield

certainly if you're man u but i really don't expect us to play that way at home against scunthorpe.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] Did we win that match?

3-0 - Rommers. Perry & Baby Bent
  • Options
    Pards has always preferred 4-4-2. Said it when he first arrived. Think it will be Iwelumo and McLeod this Sat.
  • Options
    He definitely prefers 4-4-2. Not sure Iwelumo's done enough though. Toddy to start with McLeod?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]He definitely prefers 4-4-2. Not sure Iwelumo's done enough though. Toddy to start with McLeod?

Going on the Braga game, much as I hate to say it, Big Bent looked the most impressive of the strikers on display.

I'd go with Big bent and McLeod.