Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terry Venables RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    He was innovative and creative, a fine player as well as a fine manager.
    RIP Terry.
  • Options
    Another one that started out at Chelsea.
    RIP Terry.
  • Options
    Great character. RIP
  • Options
    Oh no. 

Almost won us the Euro's back in '96. Probably the best England manger since Sir Bobby. 

RIP.

• Options
    Another victim of Alzheimer’s. So sad.
  • Options
    Big part of one of the most enjoyable summers of my life back in '96. Thanks Tel, RIP sir.  
  • Options
    Met him once queuing at the exit door to get off a plane, he stood to one side to let go first.  Seemed like a decent bloke and was a quality manager. RIP.
  • Options
    Sad news. Fine player and a very good manager. Many won't remember it, and it's weird to think of if happening today, but he was also the joint author of the books behind the TV series Hazell. 

RIP. 

• Options
    RIP Terry, great manager and character. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for England vs Holland in ‘96 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    RIP El Tel
  • Options
    Sad .  No England manager has made me as happy as he did- pity it was so brief .  
  • Options
    Very sad news.
  • Options
    Sad news. Euro 96 easily the most enjoyable international tournament for me, always thought fondly of him since. RIP Terry
  • Options
    Should have stayed on another tournament 

RIP
  • Options
    East End boy done well .. produced some terrific attacking teams as a manager, especially Barcelona and England .. bit of a 1960s renaissance man, ducker and diver, businessman as well as a decent player with over 500 games under his belt, always up for a laugh, a bit of a household name to those of us of a certain vintage

R I P
  • Options
    Thanks for the summer of '96, that was really a great time to be a football fan. RIP El Tel
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fine player who became an exceptional manager. RIP.
  • Options
    Terrible news, did not realise he was 80. Rest easy Tel RIP
  • Options
    Rest Easy Tel
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Terry Venables was so much more than a football manager and was a Ryan Giggs type left footed wide man short of winning the 96 Euro's. 

This is a real eye opener from Gary Neville about how flexible Terry was:

"In Euro 96 as a right back, I played as a conventional right back in the first match, the right of a back three in parts of the second match against Scotland and as a right winger when we were in possession through our goalkeeper in the third match against Holland and in the fourth match against Spain in the quarter final as a right wing back."

He had so many business interests and talents but he was a sublime England manager who wasn't appreciated by the Male blazers at the FA.

Working in Spain helped his coaching and understanding of the flexibility of play over rigidity of positions in 84-87 at Barcelona.

RIP EL Tel

• Options
    Great manager RIP Tel. 
  • Options
    RIP Terry

96 England are still my favourite national team
  • Options
    Just think what an El Tel could do with the current England squad. Attack Attack Attack.
  • Options
    RIP

Great coach and man manager. A real shame that controversy over his private interests cut his England reign short.
  • Options
    Sad news - great manager. RIP El Tel.
  • Options
    So sad,one of lifes characters,always enjoyed hearing him talk.Thought he was treated shamefully after 96,we certainly had a chance of winning the next world cup with him in charge.
    RIP Tel