Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terry Venables RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great character and manager, as has been said, he was treated shabbily by the FA.
    RIP El Tel.
  • Options
    RIP El Tel
  • Options
    Very sad. A very talented man in lots of ways.
  • Options
    Ah no, not Tel Vegetables. Will all the great characters from my past please stop dying? Thanks for Euro 1996 Tel: time of my life. RIP
  • Options
    RIP El Tel...
  • Options
    Sad news, he was a very good coach and seemed a really nice guy. Condolences to his family and friends, RIP Sir x
  • Options
    I didn't see him play that often but I do remember a game at The Valley against QPR towards the end of the 1970/71 season, when he picked up practically every loose ball that came out of either penalty area (mostly ours, as we lost 3-0). He barely had to compete for a 50/50 - it was all about his positional sense, football brain and overall class. 

He was a great character, coach and manager and his ability to get the best of players almost took us all the way in 1996. What a shame we lost him as England manager because of extraneous non-football issues.

El Tel was a very intelligent guy and, as Bournemouth Addick said, he co-authored the books behind the Hazell TV series about a cockney private eye, which ran for two series in 1978/79.

RIP - https://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2023/nov/26/terry-venables-a-life-in-pictures

• Options
    Really sad. Loved Venables. RIP

• Options
    I am lumping on Southgate to finally avenge his penalty miss this summer!

• Options
    Sad news. A great character of the game.

He was both innovative and ahead of his time in terms of his coaching and approach to the game, whilst still being a bit "old skool" in terms of some of his approach and dealings.

Euro 96 is still my favourite tournament. What a great summer that was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Privileged to be at Wembley in 96 for England v Holland. Thanks El Tel. Fantastic tournament. 

A great life had. Rest in peace. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Privileged to be at Wembley in 96 for England v Holland. Thanks El Tel. Fantastic tournament. 

A great life had. Rest in peace. 
    I'm still pissed off that I missed it because I had to be at a Parents' Evening. But yes, a great tournament, and Venables comforting Southgate after the missed penalty is probably the first image of him that comes to mind.
    RIP Terry.
  • Options
    RIP El Tel.
  • Options
    What he didn’t know about football probably wasn’t worth knowing. RIP
  • Options
    Goodbye El Tel and thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I was 14 in 96.  Some of the moments in that tournament still remain to this day my favourite times celebrating England, notably Gazza’s goal against Scotland.  

RIP - what a great character and certainly a football personality I remember from my youth

Interestingly, a Google of after Euro 96, saw him went on to manage Australia, Palace, M’boro then Leeds.  For whatever reason, I struggle to remember him at any of them apart from Leeds when he threw the ball back to us quickly for our throw in that lead Parker to score our winner at Elland Road in 02/03