Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bovril

Here we are heading into the bleak mid winter and with a match tonight I thought of those times as a kid so looking forward to a half time Bovril to warm the hands and the insides on a cold weeknight on the terraces. 
Someone mentioned to me they can't stand it as it's similar to marmite (yeast extract rather than a meat extract) I personally hate marmite but a nice beef tea is an absolute delight. 

Thoughts... 

Comments

• Options
    Disgusting 
  • Options
    British Army Marches on it.
    An 19th Century drink for a 21st century man!!
  • Options
    edited November 2023

...Along with Marmite while you're at it...🤢
  • Options
    Just a warm meaty drink, much nicer flavour than marmite.
  • Options
    Not my favourite drink, but tonight is definitely hot drink weather.

I do remember that the last time I ordered one at The Valley, the seller (from a portable drinks dispenser in the Curbs Stand concourse) had no idea what it was!
  • Options
    Love it 
  • Options
    Love bovril, a nice big mug after exercising the dogs on these cold days.
    Its never captured the taste of my first cup behind The Covered End in the sixties although the ingredients have probably changed since I was a kid. 
  • Options
    Lovely so is marmite 
  • Options
    Staple with a generous sprinkling of black pepper for cold footie days/nights and also used to take a flask (I know) on winter golf days.
  • Options
    Love it. Bovril on toast. Cheese and Bovril sarnies. Bovril in a mug, even with chips dipped in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think you are prowper Charlton unless you have a flask of bovril on you. 
  • Options
    Not my favourite drink, but tonight is definitely hot drink weather.

I do remember that the last time I ordered one at The Valley, the seller (from a portable drinks dispenser in the Curbs Stand concourse) had no idea what it was!
    Same happened to me when I asked for it in the east stand. Tbf I think some of them serving would be confused if you asked for some water. Prime drink they would know though. 
  • Options
    I love marmite but have never tried Bovril in my life. Maybe tonight's the night. 
  • Options
    I won’t drink it, but the thought of having bovril at half time makes me think of my dad so will always make me smile. 
  • Options
    Used to like chicken bovril. Have'nt seen it in the shops for a few years.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Just a warm meaty drink
    Sexy talk. Love a Bovril 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Just wondered for our international fans. Does Bovril exist in football stadiums and other sports stadiums across the world? 
    Or is uniquely British? 
  • Options
    Just wondered for our international fans. Does Bovril exist in football stadiums and other sports stadiums across the world? 
    Or is uniquely British? 
    I've had Bovril in Madrid, which I was surprised to see.

Does anyone else drink hot marmite in the same way as Bovril, or am I weird?
  • Options
    Hate Bovril, LOVE Marmite
  • Options
    Bovril & ready salted crisp sandwich is outstanding
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first job was in a bank in London (Midland Bank High Holborn) and around 10.30 every morning someone did a "tea run" over the road. With the teas & coffees a couple of slices of Bovril on toast was always ordered. My first introduction to it & I haven't looked back, although nowdays its Marmite I have  - think I'll have to try to find Bovril again.

Marmite as a hot drink is only found at football grounds & on Bonfire night. 
  • Options
    Hate Marmite - love Bovril.
  • Options
    Never had Bovril. 
    Sounds like a Brummy drink. 
  • Options
    The powdered Bovril drink dispensed in paper cups sold as "Bovril" is far inferior to the real thing because the beef broth element is heavily diluted compered to a hearty dollop of Bovril in a mug of hot water and has additives such as MSG, potato starch, colourings and spices to make it palatable.

Compare ingredients:

Bovril

Beef broth (50%) [water, beef bones], yeast extract (27%) [contains BARLEY, WHEAT, OAT, RYE], salt, water, colour (ammonia caramel), corn starch, beef powder (1%), flavourings (contain CELERY), flavour enhancers (disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate), acid (lactic acid).

Powdered Bovril
    salt, flavour enhancers (monosodium glutamate, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate), potato starch, sugar, maltodextrin, colour (ammonia caramel), flavourings (contain celery), beef broth (4%), rapeseed oil, anti-caking agent (silicon dioxide), yeast extract, acid (lactic acid), spices (pepper, lovage .

• Options
    Don't let MillwallFan see this thread ffs.....
  • Options
    Oh, it's UPF. Not having it then. 
  • Options
    Just have a tea FFS

Or if you insist in having a meaty hot drink, have something like a can of cream of chicken soup in a thermos, or a nice Asian broth. 

Bovril, alongside things like Spam, belong in the history books and nowhere else
  • Options
    Was at the den the other month, don't ask!and a guy sitting in front of me got one at half time,the smell made me go and get one,I had forgotten how good it is and on the way home ordered a catering tub from Amazon and now take it in my flask to work every day.Oh and they got beat 3-0, Perfect day!
  • Options
    Bovril & Football go together . Love it 
  • Options
    Bovril is marvellous