Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• If we don’t make the playoff it’ll be because of our back 5

Hector is a joke of a player and I’m rapidly losing faith in the keeper

thank fuck for Alfie 

how does McGrandles keep Watson out of the side - laughable 
    What did Maynard-Brewer do wrong tonight?
    Should’ve come for their goal. Yes it was a good cross, but he’s hit it from 40 yards away and the fella who scored was inside our 6 yard box….granted the CB’s did absolutely nothing to help him but a ball that travels that far has to be read better by the keeper 
    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one!

It was simply a brilliant cross. No way could Maynard-Brewer have come for that. And interestingly neither Curbs or Brown in the studio offered the slightest bit of criticism towards Maynard-Brewer for the goal.
    I thought AMB did well with crosses last night - much more decisive of late. Having watched the goal back there does seem to be indecision on his part and both defenders are equally guilty.
  • What happened towards the end of the game, the ref went over to the touch line and appeared to give the 4th official a yellow card?
    Dissent. The 4th official must have shouted abuse at the referee for being useless!
  • Can't believe anyone is putting a positive spin on that dross. And Micky Apples is deluded too. We won but I feel flat. Mid table mediocrity beckons again. 
    How many times do we not get the win in games like that, and we've had a few of them in the past few seasons, and we'll have more this? That's  L1 for you. A "scrappy" win he said. Listen again if you think that's deluded.

You seem to think it's only Cheltenham, so it's odd that some posters take positives from it. A win is a win is a win. How's that for spin?
  • AMB looked more confident with crosses last night and his distribution is improving - still a bit slow at times.

No idea what happened to the marking for their goal?
    Their crossing was way better than ours. 
    On reflection we met a team in decent form who played with more energy than we did. If they still had May they’d probably be above us in the table. 
  • Even though we deserved to win that, we were a bit lucky to do so. I don't think we were going to score from open play.

It was a fairly poor game from both teams and didn't do much to warm us up on what was a very cold night. Bloody freezing walking back to the station afterwards! We should be winning these sort of games comfortably, but at least we are getting results even when we are not playing well.

IMO we have a decent team that should be challenging for the play-offs, but we have too many inconsistent players, so I will be pleasantly surprised if we do. I am not expecting many upgrades in January either and I am more worried that we will lose key players. Because of Leaburn's injury, he may not be one of them now though. 
  • I know I said earlier that nobody is to blame for the goal. I will raise one factor that's often prevalent in opposition attacking play this season: Corey Blackett-Taylor. He's great and I really enjoy watching him, but there is a flipside. Yeah their right-back hit the cross of his life, but he didn't exactly have anyone close to him when he did so. The trade-off with CBT is that that sort of thing is more likely to happen. The gamble is that we have more of a net gain. I'd say we do. 
  • Tedic may or may not be all that. However, like anyone else, he does need to be given more time. When he has played it's been out of position. Aside from that he's hardly set foot on the pitch. As other players were misfiring on Saturday, the manager didn't see fit to introduce at any stage. I dare say that won't have him in a positive mindset apart from confusing him as well as many others! Let's give him a bit of a run in his preferred position before we deliver any judgement. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    I know I said earlier that nobody is to blame for the goal. I will raise one factor that's often prevalent in opposition attacking play this season: Corey Blackett-Taylor. He's great and I really enjoy watching him, but there is a flipside. Yeah their right-back hit the cross of his life, but he didn't exactly have anyone close to him when he did so. The trade-off with CBT is that that sort of thing is more likely to happen. The gamble is that we have more of a net gain. I'd say we do. 
    Agree. CBT offers very little support to the LB. This is largely why Thomas has struggled I think. However, as you say, it's probably worth it for his attacking qualities.
  • Good result, performance was better in the first half, but we got over the line, these are the games we would have lost last season, so that is positive. 

Am I the only one that thought AMB should have come out for the goal, it was a great cross, but come from so deep, and in our 6 yard box, instead he did neither and was totally out of position for it. 
  • Is everything OK between AMB and Jones. Seemed to be a couple of times last night when they had a little tête-à-tête.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Good result, performance was better in the first half, but we got over the line, these are the games we would have lost last season, so that is positive. 

Am I the only one that thought AMB should have come out for the goal, it was a great cross, but come from so deep, and in our 6 yard box, instead he did neither and was totally out of position for it. 
    There was a volleyed cross in the second half where I thought he should have come, which got headed narrowly over. That would have been on him. The goal? Absolutely in no way could he have done anything 
  • Stig said:

Is everything OK between AMB and Jones. Seemed to be a couple of times last night when they had a little tête-à-tête.

Prob AMB doesn't seem the most vocal, or doesn't really come for crosses to help his defence.
  • edited November 2023
    Stig said:

Is everything OK between AMB and Jones. Seemed to be a couple of times last night when they had a little tête-à-tête.

Jones seemed to be screaming at him to release the ball quicker. 

I felt his frustration tbh, AMB was so slow to distribute that it felt like he was time wasting, and that was while we still needed a goal. 
  • edited November 2023
    Stig said:

I doubt all is OK. Nor should it be. Maynard Brewer is the meekest 'keeper I've ever seen us have. It annoys me when a 'keeper hollers at anyone and everyone when he lets a a goal in, whether it's his fault or not, but not our Ash. Nothing. He looks constantly terrified to me. No command at all. He must (and seemingly is) frustrating the life out of our defence. 
  • Stig said:

I’ve noticed this ever since AMB first come back into the team. It’s been seen repeatedly 
  • AMB didn't come to claim a couple of crosses you'd really expect him to deal with, and his distribution was both slow and shite, taking a good 10 seconds to kick out of his hands only to shank it low to no-one several times. 

I can kind of see where Appleton is coming from, the last 10 minutes of the first half in particular we could have, and probably should have, scored. We were all over them in the first half and 8 corners, 4 shots on target and hitting the post all in the first half attested to that.

Second half they clearly parked the bus, relied on hoofing the ball, winning any 50/50s and trying to play football once in our half, but any time they didn't have the ball it was every man back and suffocate the space. Lots of time-wasting too so when only 6 minutes came up on the board I was staggered it was so few. 

We ground out the win, and the players showed discipline and resolve to get it, so I'm not surprised the gaffer was pleased with their efforts
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Good result, performance was better in the first half, but we got over the line, these are the games we would have lost last season, so that is positive. 

There was a volleyed cross in the second half where I thought he should have come, which got headed narrowly over. That would have been on him. The goal? Absolutely in no way could he have done anything 
    I disagree, I think he should have come for it! He was in no man land, if he isn't going to come for cross fine, but then at least stay on the his line.
  • edited November 2023
    Chunes said:
    Stig said:

Jones seemed to be screaming at him to release the ball quicker. 

I felt his frustration tbh, AMB was so slow to distribute that it felt like he was time wasting, and that was while we still needed a goal. 
    I thought Cheltenham were clever actually, two or three times AMB rushed to the edge of the area to quickly release the ball, only to have an opponent stroll in front of him.

Frustratingly clever tactic as stopped us from being able to go on the counter - But equally its something you never really see us trying.
  • edited November 2023
    That’s probably the most varied reviews I’ve seen on a post match thread this season, in terms of positive and negative. 
    I think ultimately it’s probably because some of us expect to turn teams over because we were in the Premier League earlier this century and we have a great stadium.
    This seems to create a negative mindset rather than a positive one. You can feel it in The Valley as soon as things start going not the way we want them to. Clubs with an underdog mentality have an advantage over us, for sure. 
  • Their goal:

• Poor performance, but we were the better team and got the 3 points. We did well to get back into game after going 1-0 down and we threatened them straight after almost. Not in terms of clear cut chances, but in terms of getting in and around the box.

We got lucky that Cheltenham had very little in terms of attacking ambition and drive even late on really. At times Fraser and Mcgrandles got closed down and bullied off the ball quickly by there midfield. There physical strength was there biggest asset that at times we struggled to cope with.

May worked hard. Personally don't think it was one of his best games for us but he got the two important goals we needed. The second one in particular was a great penalty and how it should be taken. Low and hard and in the corner.

It was a good cross for there goal, but Hector was ball watching and a centre back signing is needed in January as a replacement or a message to get him to start performing, or could be dropped.

A win is a win, so can't be too disappointed.
  • Tedic is the worst player I have seen in a Charlton shirt for many years. He would give Ralph Milne a run for his money. He cant head ( doesn’t fancy the physical bit) , cant shoot , has no pace , gives away needless fouls, falls over repeatedly and claims a foul whilst everyone else plays on while he lies on the ground moaning - oh and he missed a sitter from 5 yds out. 
    Macauley Bonne from Manchester
  • edited November 2023
    Croydon said:
    Their goal:

Another observation to the goal that I've only just spotted

Why is Dobson (?) marking Jones so tightly? - Or is it the other way round

If he's closer to the crosser... there are three options for the man on the ball

Out wide to the right, and Edun can mark him - Tries a through ball to the bloke between Hector and Jones, and the latter can potentially cut out the pass. - Passes to the right, and Fraser / McGrandles can deal with him
  • Controversial, but I think Tedic actually looked half decent? 

Forced a very decent save out of their keeper, put himself in dangerous areas, was showing more desire than Leaburn in the aerial battles. 

I don't think it was a good showing by any stretch, but there was some decent plays. What I can't get my head around, of course, is how he ended up at Man City.

On that note as well in regards to Leaburn, he's had a fair bit of criticism lately, but he looked well up to it last night before his injury.
    Fair play to Tedic, I thought he started to give the CB's abit of their "robust, competitive, physical" style back to them.
    The  ref was consistently ignoring that stuff, so why not? Chuks is the only other with that ability, thought Leaburn tried but was on the end of a lot of physicality.
  • A win is a win, so ultimately happy, and this is not a rant, BUT...

The November-December blueprint for the last 3 seasons: we're 10th-ish, there's a month where the fixture list looks kind, we all say, "Now is the time we can really push up the play-offs..." and inevitably we lose to a Burton / Accrington Stanley / Fleetwood or the like at home in a turgid performance, and you can literally see the belief around the stadium evaporate. We then play and lose to an actual promotion candidate. Our table positio has gone nowhere.

It gets to January. We shuffle out some rubbish, dare to get excited, only for the outward going rubbish to be replaced with more (or even worse) rubbish. We win a few, we draw a few, we lose a few. We may sack a manager along the way. We limp on to finish... 10th-ish.

Last night had all the hallmarks of one of those performances, bar a (in my view) pretty harsh late penalty. That's why I think people are getting frustrated, despite the win.
    Kinda agree to disagree.. I think last year we would have lost that last night, and Saturday's game we would have lost last season as well