Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• 3 points ; tough to watch; need a decent defence coach or better players
  • edited November 2023
    Croydon said:
    Their goal:

Another observation to the goal that I've only just spotted

Why is Dobson (?) marking Jones so tightly? - Or is it the other way round

If he's closer to the crosser... there are three options for the man on the ball

Out wide to the right, and Edun can mark him - Tries a through ball to the bloke between Hector and Jones, and the latter can potentially cut out the pass. - Passes to the right, and Fraser / McGrandles can deal with him
    Their goal came from the poor header from Edun, rather than heading the ball out, he headed to one of their players. Perhaps the players were warned about their long throws and not to give them the opportunity.
  • Freezing cold. Plastic seats ugh! Edun really needs to hoof the ball into touch at the sign of any danger, AMB is slow to distribute. Speed up! Hector is always hot and cold. Dobbo not at his best at the mo. Hopefully Miles' injury will keep him at the Valley. CBT will probably get sold in January. We'll miss him! He does hit the post and bar a lot but we all jump out of our seats in the covered end when he goes on a rum. May - good penalties but I'd prefer him in the middle alongside Leaburn/Tedic.
  • Give Tedic a chance,he hs hardly played,he might surprise us all with regular football
    I give all our players a chance and support them all, but he looks to me a technically good footballer short of confidence and with no clear natural position. 

He’s no pace so he’s naturally facing backwards player, but he isn’t particularly great at holding the ball up and bringing others in from what I’ve seen so far. Watch him the next time a ball is launched towards him; his whole focus is arms back, looking and reaching around to find the defender, drawing him in tight and then try to win a free kick with exaggerated movement. 

Perhaps he just needs more football and confidence will grow, but I’ve not much confidence in him at all from I’ve seen so far. 
  • Almost a disaster from last 2 games, thank goodness for Alfie tonight, as 2 points would have been abysmal from Carlisle and Cheltenham games. 

We have to pick up 6 points from the 2 games in hand we have on Lincoln, Blackpool, and Stevenage. If we do that, let’s see what the other sides around have picked up at same time. 

It’s great not to be losing too many, but we must stop the win draw win pattern, and go on a proper winning run of games. 
    One of those games in hand is away to Derby.

If we cant best Carlisle away we ain't going to beat Derby. 

Games in hand arent worth getting excited about. 
    Golfie, you know it often doesn't work like that.

Our attacking weakness: trying to break down a packed defence and park the bus tactics.

If opponents play with a more open attacking style - we can better play to our strengths and the qualities we do have.
    Derby, as your example, are hardly likely to sit on their own 18 yard line for 90 minutes - they are going to come at us and leave gaps to be exploited. Especially if they are at at home. 

• Sponsored links:

• Cambridge have sacked their manager, new manager bounce against us next league game
  • edited November 2023
    agim said:
    A little ray of sunshine if you need one... 

A friend bumped into MA in central today. After a quick chat the general consensus from MA is that we aren't good enough at the moment and are too soft. He's in London to meet with agents and the owners are saying all the right things and are happy to invest.. time will tell
    Quite pleased to read this. At least the manager can see it...
  • agim said:

A friend bumped into MA in central today. After a quick chat the general consensus from MA is that we aren't good enough at the moment and are too soft. He's in London to meet with agents and the owners are saying all the right things and are happy to invest.. time will tell
    All sounds good...maybe post on the transfer rumours thread...🤔
  • Almost a disaster from last 2 games, thank goodness for Alfie tonight, as 2 points would have been abysmal from Carlisle and Cheltenham games. 

We have to pick up 6 points from the 2 games in hand we have on Lincoln, Blackpool, and Stevenage. If we do that, let’s see what the other sides around have picked up at same time. 

It’s great not to be losing too many, but we must stop the win draw win pattern, and go on a proper winning run of games. 
    Win, draw, win would get us into the play-offs comfortably imo. 

The issue is the win, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, win that we are currently doing. 
    its 6 wins and 5 draws 2 defeats in that 13 so that isn't the sequence in reality is it

but sure if that is what you want to say it is.
    In the last 6 games we've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2. The wins coming against 14th and 24th. 

But cherry pick 13 why not. 

He said, "its 6 wins and 5 draws 2 defeats in that 13 ....".
    Appleton has overseen just 13 games. 

Hardly cherry picking, is it?  

• supaclive said:
    Appleton "best win since I've been here by a distance"
    Laughing at Appleton not you Callum, btw!

That was terrible!
    Did he actually say that ???, I thought it was a joke. 
  • I am well and truly, baffled by some of the reactions on here and social media. We just won a game of football, God knows what the reaction would be had we drawn or lost.

If we win our games in hand on Blackpool and Lincoln, we leapfrog them both, we would also be roughly, 4-6 points outside the play-offs with 26 more games to go and 78 points up for grabs.

We could have won that game by 3 or 4 goals. We rarely looked in trouble, we hit the post, forced their keeper into at least 2 very good saves. It was comfortable viewing. Only concern for me is we didn't create enough, but I believe that's because of the opposition, they didn't come to dance but sit and grind out a result. In their last 5 prior to this, they'd won 3, drawn 1 and lost 1 in the league. 

Positives for me: 

- May adds to his goal tally
    - Jones is looking like the real deal
    - Both fullbacks had very decent games
    - We looked fairly composed 

Negatives: 

- Valley atmosphere, it's actually pretty depressing. No chanting, about 9k fans, if that, in a 27k seater 

- Lack of creativity, we keep the ball ticking but don't seem to move it quick enough sometimes to catch teams out and mainly rely on players gambling in the penalty box.

Anyway all in all, I enjoyed it. Vlog coming for this one and I really enjoyed my vids, few new features and I interviewed maybe every Cheltenham fan that attended it felt like in one video haha 

On to the next one! 
    This. 

Good post @Braziliance 

• Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    Appleton "best win since I've been here by a distance"
    Laughing at Appleton not you Callum, btw!

That was terrible!
    Did he actually say that ???, I thought it was a joke. 
    Yes, but you need to see/hear the full interview for context if you think it sounds laughable in isolation as he did explain why. I'm sure he said plenty of other things about it that you'd find yourself agreeing with.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    We really need to get better at crossing and corners. That ball for their first was an absolute peach and a lesson for how effective a good cross can be if it is attacked properly.

We seem to get so many corners and they always end up being a pointless ball into the box that is either too close to the keeper or a decent ball that our players simply don't attack. Crowd's don't like them, but with the players we have, we may as well start playing them short more consistently as we can at least create more of a threat from that.
    You know, this is a really good point.  

Particularly corners and other set pieces. All successful teams perfect their scoring percentage of set pieces. 
    Goals for 'free'. No matter if they are struggling to break down a 'park the bus' style packed defence, they know how to nick a goal from a set piece.

Charlton? Well, our scoring record from set pieces is not great, is it?
    So why?

And that's before I mention our defending of them. Over to you Mr Apples ..... 

• Such a moody post match thread. It's almost like post lockdown rage has hit in once.
  • Valley11 said:
    Probably not the place for it but have a look at Barnsley’s winner from last night…
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13018586/barnsley-1-0-wycombe-wanderers-league-one-highlights
    How did the referee allow that?

The keeper had both hands on the ball. 
    The striker pushed the keeper over with both hands. 

No attempt by the striker to play the ball .... and anyway, the keeper had both hands on the ball.

The days of the 'Lion of Vienna' were 70 years ago.
    I've never seen any striker get away with that in modern times. 

• sam3110 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Almost a disaster from last 2 games, thank goodness for Alfie tonight, as 2 points would have been abysmal from Carlisle and Cheltenham games. 

Win, draw, win would get us into the play-offs comfortably imo. 

The issue is the win, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, win that we are currently doing. 
    its 6 wins and 5 draws 2 defeats in that 13 so that isn't the sequence in reality is it

but sure if that is what you want to say it is.
    In the last 6 games we've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2. The wins coming against 14th and 24th. 

But cherry pick 13 why not. 

He said, "its 6 wins and 5 draws 2 defeats in that 13 ....".
    Appleton has overseen just 13 games. 

Hardly cherry picking, is it?  

Hard to reason with an Arsenal fan tbh
    Nice one @sam3110  just had to laugh at that! :) 

• Normally on corners, teams rely on tall CB to get their share of goals, I never hear either Jones or Hector missing a good chance or even getting their head on one of our corners
  • ross1 said:
    Normally on corners, teams rely on tall CB to get their share of goals, I never hear either Jones or Hector missing a good chance or even getting their head on one of our corners
    Yeah, bring back Ryan Inniss (sigh) :smile: 

• agim said:

Of course hè did.. Where is Central?
  • 3 more points .. far better to play like a bunch of one legged dogs and WIN rather than lose .. just remember that IF the majority of our squad were ultra consistent with Messi like skills they'd all be playing in the Prem