Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Minutes Applause Last Night

Great to see the minutes applause at the game last night for Terry Venables.

But why have we done nothing for Bobby Charlton?

Really poor oversight, and not surprising when you see the mess they made of the 2 minute silence before the Cray game when they soaked the military with the sprinklers. Its the little stuff that seems to be so wrong at times down there, but we can get the half time nonsense without issue.

Comments

• Options
    I'll admit I turned to my Dad and questioned why we're giving him a minutes applause when we didn't for Bobby Charlton. I also wondered if we will see a theme now where we have a minute's applause for anyone remotely related to football in England and not just Charlton, will we have a minute's applause when Sven Goran Ericsson pops his cogs for instance?

Either go all in and end up doing one every other game, or just reserve it for really meaningful times IMO
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I'll admit I turned to my Dad and questioned why we're giving him a minutes applause when we didn't for Bobby Charlton. I also wondered if we will see a theme now where we have a minute's applause for anyone remotely related to football in England and not just Charlton, will we have a minute's applause when Sven Goran Ericsson pops his cogs for instance?

Either go all in and end up doing one every other game, or just reserve it for really meaningful times IMO
    We had one for Gordon Banks (rightly) so we have done it for the World Cup Winners and should have done it for Bobby.

Never an easy one to decide who should get one but Bobby Charlton was a no brainer for me.
  • Options
    Inconsistency over world cup winners aside (have we had the round of applause for all the other 9?) Venables managed our national team, Sir Bobby didn't. In fact he scored the first goal of his career against us, so...  
  • Options
    It did feel a bit awkward giving applause to a former Palace manager...
  • Options
    probably should be just kept to those within the CAFC family. or on a national event. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We shouldn’t be having a minute’s applause or silence for anyone in my view - it’s a bloody 3rd division football match not a remembrance occasion 
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with the sentiment of the original post. Nothing was organised at the Valley for BC because it had already been marked at Lincoln.

Just as I highly doubt that Cheltenham will organise anything at their place for TV as they’d already been part of it at ours.

We weren’t alone last night. A brief search of “venables applause” shows tributes taking place at Spurs, Leeds, Cardiff, Watford, Coventry, Orient, Notts County, Forest Green and I’m sure there’s many others.

How many other minutes applauses have there actually been this season? Maybe two or three?
    So that is the policy, we never have a minutes silence/applause if we have already done it at a previous away game?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    If the minutes applause/silence is for somebody with no connection to Charlton then I usually look upon it as just another opportunity to have another or slowly finish off a last pint before kick off. Obviously you have to predict when there is going to be a minutes silence/applause but that’s usually pretty easy to do at Charlton
  • Options
    Getting ridiculous the amount of minutes applause and silences there are
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    No pleasing some people.

Load of bollocks in my opinion.
  • Options
    We shouldn’t be having a minute’s applause or silence for anyone in my view - it’s a bloody 3rd division football match not a remembrance occasion 
    How about the Royal Family? 
  • Options
    I was walking down Floyd Road and heard it. I thought it was for Cardinal Sin as a 16yr blogger about Charlton and wished I got there earlier. 
    On the way home I realised it was for Venables and wondered why.  Nothing against him, he was wonderful but he has no Charlton connection save for being in football.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Whats it got do with them? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Whats it got do with them? 
    When one of them passes away. Eg: Queen 

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Even less of a justification for that!
  • Options
    Seconded.

Football is becoming a vehicle for remembrance for all and sundry. 

Material Charlton connection? Crack on.

Generic football connection? No thanks.

But modern football needs to be seen to be inclusive and is terrified of social media outrage if it does the wrong thing. 
    I was agreeing with you until the last sentence. What has the marking of the passing of Venables, or someone like him, got to do with "inclusivity" Who is "excluded" if it does not happen? I think you are trying to introduce a rather tiresome political dimension to an issue that IMO is just a bit silly, at about the same level of silliness as referees stopping the game to run over to yellow card an unidentified individual in the stand for an unidentified reason. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Clear Charlton connection, of course.

• Options
    Seconded.

Football is becoming a vehicle for remembrance for all and sundry. 

Material Charlton connection? Crack on.

Generic football connection? No thanks.

But modern football needs to be seen to be inclusive and is terrified of social media outrage if it does the wrong thing. 
    I was agreeing with you until the last sentence. What has the marking of the passing of Venables, or someone like him, got to do with "inclusivity" Who is "excluded" if it does not happen? I think you are trying to introduce a rather tiresome political dimension to an issue that IMO is just a bit silly, at about the same level of silliness as referees stopping the game to run over to yellow card an unidentified individual in the stand for an unidentified reason. 
    I don’t see it as a tiresome political dimension, and it’s absolutely relevant to the thread. 

The minutes applause for Venables is, for me, in the same vein as every other token gesture that we see at football now. I won’t set out what they are as I agree that this could take the thread down a certain route and that wasn’t my intention.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Don't think they give a minutes applause for anyone
  • Options
    I was walking down Floyd Road and heard it. I thought it was for Cardinal Sin as a 16yr blogger about Charlton and wished I got there earlier. 
    On the way home I realised it was for Venables and wondered why.  Nothing against him, he was wonderful but he has no Charlton connection save for being in football.
    Applause for Dave Thomson (Cardinal Sin) would be a fully warranted tribute in my opinion, yet who we should be acknowledging the passing of is foisted on us by powers unknown (or if the FA/EFL then not respected, imo). That"s the issue for me. If say Cast had a say or some other known/respected entity, we could all get along better with it possibly.
  • Options
    There was a group set up a few years ago to deliberate on who warranted their own applause outside of the annual remembrance in January which was set up in 2005 to include everyone.

It comprised Matt Baker, Club Chaplin, Ian Wallis, Fans Forum and Museum, and Olly Groome, Comms Team.

Obviously, Olly's not employed by CAFC anymore. 

It's not been used recently so we had a situation at the beginning of the season where Chris Bart-Williams was remembered but not Paul Hince, who died around the same time and who'd played a similar amount of games.  The group wasn't consulted in that instance.

It's always going to be difficult to decide who deserves their own applause which is one reason we have the January applause which is truly "inclusive" and rightly so.

I tend to agree we have too many non-Charlton silences/applause but feel we sometimes don't remember our own players/managers enough.

But some "national" figures/events are done because of directives from the FA or EFL so beyond our control.  

And there would be complaints from many if we didn't mark a national/international event or death when other clubs did.

I disagree that we have silences/applause every other week.  They are still relatively rare although they happen more than  30 years ago when even Armistice Day happened without them.

• Options
    Was the Venables remembrance an EFL/FA directive or something the club did out of choice?