Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich....anyone been?

Planning a visit as I heard its a hotbed of Charlton support. Any landmarks or sightseeing the hive mind of CL could recommend?

Comments

• Options
    The lesser spotted foot tunnel.
  • Options
    I think it closed in about 1985  ;)
  • Options
    I live in the Royal Arsenal Development (I know, I know....) and as far as I can tell Im the only Charlton fan. Seen more than a few Millwall milling around. 

I do see the odd Charlton shirt in the main town every now and then, but it's dominated by Man U/Arse/Spurs etc.... shirts. Yeah kinda annoying with the Valley a 5 min bus ride up the road.  
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    clive said:
    I live in the Royal Arsenal Development (I know, I know....) and as far as I can tell Im the only Charlton fan. Seen more than a few Millwall milling around. 

I do see the odd Charlton shirt in the main town every now and then, but it's dominated by Man U/Arse/Spurs etc.... shirts. Yeah kinda annoying with the Valley a 5 min bus ride up the road.  
    That Trev must be a douche if he lives in there. 
  • Options
    clive said:

The Royal Arsenal development is good, couple of decent pubs there. Gets a bit dicey once you exit the gates but that’s just the charm of SE London!
  • Options
    If your into Chicken shops and Barbers its the place to be .
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Planning a visit as I heard its a hotbed of Charlton support. Any landmarks or sightseeing the hive mind of CL could recommend?
    Are you visiting Woolwich to see the hotbed of Charlton support, or fancy something in particular? A Thames walk or just a few pints, a bit of Powis street to relive the 80s! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw Radiotoxic Man in the foot tunnel.

• Options
    I was culturally enriched one morning as approaching the DLR entrance by the market.
    An African woman had a child strapped to her. The child had a very snotty nose.
    This charmer of a lady went on to wrap her lips around child’s nose, suck then spit.
    A very welcoming site, may I say, and a fair summary of Woolwich.
  • Options
    First McDonalds in the UK, worth a visit to see where it all started...
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    CAFCTrev said:

If you are a thrillseeker join a bus queue in the town centre.
    😹

There use to be an Army surplus store where I bought me jungle greens can’t remember the name of the shop or what street it was in, Is it still there?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

😹

There use to be an Army surplus store where I bought me jungle greens can’t remember the name of the shop or what street it was in, Is it still there?
    Sams. I don't think it's there anymore.

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Agreed - I have that pleasure on train strike days - trying to guess where your bus will pull up followed by a ‘bundle’ - a bit like Mike Reid’s runaround 
  • Options
    Is there still a FADS in Woolwich?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are they anywhere now? Another victim of the Charlton sponsorship curse.
  • Options
    I worked in Woolwich, at the Woolwich Building Society  Head Office in General Gordon Square. I was there about 3 years. That’s over 40 years ago, it was pwoper South London then. No it’s like South Mogadishu…. 
  • Options
    FADS went bust donkeys years ago 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

😹

Sams. I don't think it's there anymore.

That be the one  @baldybonce
  • Options
    Born, raised and educated in Woolwich although I haven't lived there since 1985!

Never did me any harm.

General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett  Funny gif Rik mayall First  world problems
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Born, raised and educated in Woolwich although I haven't lived there since 1985!

Never did me any harm.

General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett  Funny gif Rik mayall First  world problems
    Nor me (left SE18 1988) .  Went Woolwich Poly too. Went to Tramshed last Friday and had a great time. 
  • Options
    FADS went bust donkeys years ago 
    Should I have added one or two 😂😂🤪🤪😬😬
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    My in laws were married at St. Mary Magdalene and lived in St Mary Street for about 50 years. 
    My girlfriend, now wife, lived there for about 20 years. 
    I spent most of my time round her house from 81-87.