Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich....anyone been?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I was born there. Woolwich hospital for mothers and babies. Shut down donkeys years ago . 
  • Options
    Grew up in long lost Oliver Street. Had the privilege of being rejected by MacDonalds in Woolwich for a Saturday job because "I wasn't doing enough A Levels!"
  • Options
    I was born there. Woolwich hospital for mothers and babies. Shut down donkeys years ago . 
    British hospital for mother’s & baby’s 
    Born there 1965 . Think it shut in 80”s 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Planning a visit as I heard it's a hotbed of Charlton support. Any landmarks or sightseeing the hive mind of CL could recommend?
    Wetherspoons 
  • Options
    Elephant & Castle boozer got some amazing Charlton Murals 
  • Options
    First McDonalds in the UK, worth a visit to see where it all started...
    And I went there just a few days after it first opened in Powis Street. 
    It must have been about 50 years ago, as I was about 18 or 19 back then.

There was quite a bit of publicity at the time that an American company was opening up here.
    So us lads wanted to go and try it out.

Up to then, we'd always gone to the Wimpy Bar in Welling.

• Options
    I worked in Woolwich, at the Woolwich Building Society  Head Office in General Gordon Square. I was there about 3 years. That’s over 40 years ago, it was pwoper South London then. No it’s like South Mogadishu…. 
    I also worked for the Woolwich Equitable Building Society for a few years during the 1970s ..... first at Bexleyheath and then at the Head Office opposite Woolwich Arsenal Station.

Woolwich was pretty rough in those days, but always used the market in Beresford Square.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    All these stories from the 80s must really be helping the OP decide where to try next week  :joy:
    The Spoons might be winning at the moment. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Did a pub crawl from there up to Plumstead a couple of weekends ago, how the Gun Pit is still there I’ve no idea. Barman who looked like he’d just finished shooting up in the toilets told us as we came in they had nothing at all on draft and pulled out a load of bottles of Corona, we sat down and starting drinking them, a bird came ordered a pint of Fosters which he then starting pouring from the now magically working beer pumps. 

The Elephant and Castle wasn’t much better. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Honestly mate I wouldn't even bother, it's an absolute dive. 

I loved growing up in Woolwich/Thamesmead/Abbey Wood. Unfortunately they're all just holes now. 

Every time I go to Woolwich I feel it's lost its character completely, especially at night where it feels like a ghost town at times.

No night life, the market isn't like it used to be, no nice sit down restaurants on the high street (can't think of one) and of course, like most run down towns in London, it's not safe at times. 

I visited my mate in West Malling last night and even on a Monday night walking about, it looked lovelt on the street, I just looked around and thought, if it wasn't for Charlton and work, I doubt I'd set foot in London anymore. 

Good luck though and have a good time 😂
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    All these stories from the 80s must really be helping the OP decide where to try next week  :joy:
    He lives in Woolwich and has done for years (no idea why he started the thread). 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He lives in Woolwich and has done for years (no idea why he started the thread). 
    Just to grab a few cheap LOL votes mate. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Why start another thread on Woolwich when there has been a long standing one.

There is only one Woolwich thread! 

£13.20 for two pints of Estrella in the Guardhouse tonight. 

• Options
    Elephant & Castle boozer got some amazing Charlton Murals 
    Saw someone smoke crack in the toilet there once 
  • Options
    Earl of Chatham used to be ok for a pint in the 90s. There was an army surplus store on the square just down from the wimpy on the corner, great if you need new trousers. The Mitre not bad but further out by the ferry. the cinema was close by. Last film I saw there was either Natural Born Killers or the Lion King...

• Options
    Was also born there and lived at Woodhill until I was 7.
  • Options
    My Grandfather worked at The AntiGallican,Celler man,and waiter.Met my Gran there when she applied for a job.
  • Options
    Still remember Sidney Ross the toy shop. Never could afford to buy anything there mind you.