Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matchday pubs

Afternoon all,

Hope life is good. Ahead of the Peterborough game, I've a couple of mates who support the Posh coming down in search of somewhere for a drink and a catch-up beforehand, so we are assessing our options. I'm not exactly plugged in to the pre-match drinking scene, and obviously being a Charlton fan, all I really know is that the Angerstein (and previously the Antigallican) were the designated away pubs. Basically, I can go anywhere and it's all fine, but not the same for away fans.

I was wondering - what's the policy in, say, the Bugle Horn for away fans who are discreet and keep any colours covered? I know the Rose is probably home only, and the Oak almost definitely so, but wanted to see if there was anywhere we could just have a pint and a catch up.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Greenwich gives you a few options. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Afternoon all,

Hope life is good. Ahead of the Peterborough game, I've a couple of mates who support the Posh coming down in search of somewhere for a drink and a catch-up beforehand, so we are assessing our options. I'm not exactly plugged in to the pre-match drinking scene, and obviously being a Charlton fan, all I really know is that the Angerstein (and previously the Antigallican) were the designated away pubs. Basically, I can go anywhere and it's all fine, but not the same for away fans.

I was wondering - what's the policy in, say, the Bugle Horn for away fans who are discreet and keep any colours covered? I know the Rose is probably home only, and the Oak almost definitely so, but wanted to see if there was anywhere we could just have a pint and a catch up.

Thanks in advance!

River Ale House?
  • Options
    The Anchor in hope is nice and civilised.
  • Options
    The barge pole thamesmead

or as said above, Greenwich. I like the one next to the Trafalgar, where you can get a table next to the large windows and have a view out over the Thames. I like it so much, I can't remember its name!
  • Options

or as said above, Greenwich. I like the one next to the Trafalgar, where you can get a table next to the large windows and have a view out over the Thames. I like it so much, I can't remember its name!
    The Yacht is next to the Trafalgar but I think you might be thinking of the Cutty Sark which has the bay window on 1st floor with the benches on the river side of the road.
  • Options
    Royal Standard. Far enough away from the ground, where you wont be surrounded by Charlton supporters.
  • Options
    What about the Thai tapas place on Charlton Church lane- book a table- food and drinks..
    https://www.cattleyarestaurant.com/
  • Options
    The Dog and Bell in Deptford is excellent, near the station and exceptionally festive at this time of year. The Plume of Feathers is very near Maze Hill, as is Hardy's (which does excellent Guinness but no decent real ale). Nearer the ground, the River Ale House is very friendly and has an excellent beer selection. You can't go wrong with any of those. 

Zerodegrees Microbrewery in Blackheath is another option - near the station and plenty of buses to Charlton Village.
  • Options
    If they are not wearing colours and they don't make it obvious they are Posh fans they should get in The Bugle or Oak.
    There were Sutton fans with colours on recently in The Oak, although it was the BSM Cup. 

The Anchor & Hope definitely allows away fans. 
  • Options
    If they are not wearing colours and they don't make it obvious they are Posh fans they should get in The Bugle or Oak.
    There were Sutton fans with colours on recently in The Oak, although it was the BSM Cup. 

The Anchor & Hope definitely allows away fans. 
    Lovely, thank you. And thanks everyone else for all the other suggestions - several I'm familiar with and a few I'm not that I'll check out in due course!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Yacht is next to the Trafalgar but I think you might be thinking of the Cutty Sark which has the bay window on 1st floor with the benches on the river side of the road.
    The back of the Yacht also has tables overlooking the Thames. 
  • Options
    Woolwich town centre sounds alright. Just make sure you go there back in the 60s. 
  • Options
    blackheath isnt the worst shout before hand 
  • Options

It does, but when you sit at the tables by the window you can't actually see out of the window because there's a wooden frame at eye level. Bizarre. 

I was chatting to someone that worked in there and they were convinced the windows had been put in the wrong way up, because it made no sense to block that view!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

It does, but when you sit at the tables by the window you can't actually see out of the window because there's a wooden frame at eye level. Bizarre. 

I was chatting to someone that worked in there and they were convinced the windows had been put in the wrong way up, because it made no sense to block that view!
    Here you go ....

• Options
    But to answer the original question, Greenwich is a really good and safe bet - Plume is the pick of a generally good bunch.
  • Options
    There's plenty of corner shops. Grab a couple of tinnies and stand by the bins. Prowper south London experience. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Here you go ....

That ruins that place. It's been a sports type pub for a while now. No decent outside area. 
    just walk a few minutes east and you got the cutty sark Fuller's pub which has tables by the Thames. There was a pub in-between but just looked on Google maps (on my phone so might be wrong) and it doesn't seem to be there anymore. 
    Pelton arms just up from the cutty sark pub is a definite shout as a decent pub. No view of the Thames however. 
  • Options
    Cutty Sark is Youngs, as are the majority of Greenwich pubs.
  • Options
    LeeValley said:
    Cutty Sark is Youngs, as are the majority of Greenwich pubs.
    Knew it was some expensive brewer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Youngs and Fullers are just pub companies now not Brewers.
  • Options
    Plume is great. Just a shame they are Palace. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Here you go ....

Is it true that @AFKABartram can see under the frame?
  • Options
    Usually see a smattering of away fans in The Crown near Maze Hill
  • Options
    Agreed. It's the pub we use and shall do so on Saturday before Burton. The Palace scarf/ pennant (can't recall which it is as I try not to look) behind the bar is an irritation but it's a lovely, well run pub and works well with the train from Maze Hill. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Agreed. It's the pub we use and shall do so on Saturday before Burton. The Palace scarf/ pennant (can't recall which it is as I try not to look) behind the bar is an irritation but it's a lovely, well run pub and works well with the train from Maze Hill. 
    It’s our usual pre-match haunt too. For the CVPM FAC match Mr W booked us in for Sunday lunch at 2.30. We turned up on time, place packed, feeling pleased we’d booked. But turned out we hadn’t - Mr W had booked online at the Plume of Feathers in Welwyn Garden City!! The landlord, despite being Palace, took pity on us and managed to squeeze us into a corner.

Some mates tried previously to replace the nigel scarf with a CAFC one but that didn’t last long! 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Great thread.
    PaddyP17 asks whether discreet away fans are allowed In The Bugle or Oak and he get's recommendations all over including Thamesmead. 
  • Options
    Resurrecting this thread...

I have some Carlisle mates coming to the game and keen to meet for a pre match beer.

When did the Rose of Denmark stop allowing away fans pre match? Is that a strict policy?

Always thought they were mixed fans pre match, but it's been a while since I went for a beer before the game...

• Options
    Resurrecting this thread...

I have some Carlisle mates coming to the game and keen to meet for a pre match beer.

When did the Rose of Denmark stop allowing away fans pre match? Is that a strict policy?

Always thought they were mixed fans pre match, but it's been a while since I went for a beer before the game...

I think it was before the Anti shut down.  It is strict; ticket check on door
  • Options
    RoD is strictly home only you have to produce a match ticket for the home area to gain access, been this way for a number of years now.