Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Play In RED

I know it has been said many times before but PLEASE JUST PLAY IN RED.

I am fed up with teams changing their colours when there is no need to. I think the FA/EFL should introduce a ruling that the first kit should always be worn unless there is a clash. 

Ok so it maybe written in the contract with the kit suppliers but for Charlton in League 1 is it really going to be a lot of difference money wise if we said no to having to always wear the change strip?

Comments

• Options
    It's not the suppliers but the sponsor the agreement is with. Trouble with having different ones I guess. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    It's not the suppliers but the sponsor the agreement is with. Trouble with having different ones I guess. 
    This is what I don't understand, how difficult would it be to put the sponsors logo on a red shirt? They could use it to gain more coverage and goodwill, by telling the story of how they've recognised the importance of our club colours and have switched because of this. I don't see that it would take too much work on behalf of the comms/marketing people to turn this into a win/win situation for everyone. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Talal said:
    This is what I don't understand, how difficult would it be to put the sponsors logo on a red shirt? They could use it to gain more coverage and goodwill, by telling the story of how they've recognised the importance of our club colours and have switched because of this. I don't see that it would take too much work on behalf of the comms/marketing people to turn this into a win/win situation for everyone. 
    RSK might not be too happy about it is all I can think of 🤷 

• Options
    Talal said:
    Stig said:
    Talal said:

Could you not have 1 sponsor when playing at home, and a different one when playing away. 

Also, how much does the club get (in £££) from a shirt sponser ? Probably not as much as getting promotion. So, false economy. Everything should be based on trying to get promotion - if that means losing a sponser because we want to only wear red (when there are no clashes) then so be it. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Stig said:
    Talal said:

Could you not have 1 sponsor when playing at home, and a different one when playing away. 

Also, how much does the club get (in £££) from a shirt sponser ? Probably not as much as getting promotion. So, false economy. Everything should be based on trying to get promotion - if that means losing a sponser because we want to only wear red (when there are no clashes) then so be it. 
    And remind me why wearing red, specifically, means we're more likely to get promoted?
  • Options

Could this be the reason we’re always conceding late goals and losing?
  • Options

No
  • Options

Given how many of our passes go to an opponent rather than a teammate and how many times an opponent is left unmarked in the box I suspect it could well be a factor worth looking into, those things don’t happen when we play at home…oh, hang on…

it does piss me off when we play in a colour other than red when there is no need to change though
  • Options
    Red white or black
    Gets Apples the sack!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One good thing (we'll, maybe the only good thing) to come out of today's match. Is that it completely shows up the nonsense about colour blindness to be the hogwash that it is. Home team plays in white/black/white kit so we go all black with white trim. Unbelievable Jeff.
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Stig said:
    One good thing (we'll, maybe the only good thing) to come out of today's match. Is that it completely shows up the nonsense about colour blindness to be the hogwash that it is. Home team plays in white/black/white kit so we go all black with white trim. Unbelievable Jeff.
    Yep the PV friend I went with today asked me why we weren’t playing in Red & White especially as PV were wearing black shorts as were  the officials who also had black socks! Had I been the ref I would have insisted Charlton change of socks as a minimum.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'm dying to know how come Newcastle played in their home kit at Sunderland today. Trying to differentiate between the two different sets of stripes in the wide shots gave me a thumping headache after only 10 minutes.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Stig said:
    Yep the PV friend I went with today asked me why we weren’t playing in Red & White especially as PV were wearing black shorts as were  the officials who also had black socks! Had I been the ref I would have insisted Charlton change of socks as a minimum.
    Charlton have contracted not to play in red away from home unless both change kits clash. It’s bonkers IMO.
    That’s what I told my pal the issue was, agreed it’s ridiculous 👍
  • Options
    Let’s be honest for a minute, we struggle in most kits we play in too be fair.
  • Options
    Genuinely mad to me that people think this makes a difference to players. Yes we all like to see Charlton play in red but do you really think any of our players care or would play any differently? 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Stig said:
    Charlton have contracted not to play in red away from home unless both change kits clash. It’s bonkers IMO.
    Contract with kit manufacturer or away sponsor ? 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Genuinely mad to me that people think this makes a difference to players. Yes we all like to see Charlton play in red but do you really think any of our players care or would play any differently? 
    Might make it easier to pass to one of their own? 
  • Options
    I think it's obvious to everyone that Charlton always win when we play in red. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:

I don’t want to over-egg the findings, because there are some studies that have not found a positive red bias, so it’s not clear cut. But I would note that those studies I’ve seen (I can’t claim to have looked at them all) which haven’t found in favour of red seem to have centred on women’s sports or less aggressive sports like basketball.   

Here’s a brief summary of the main findings: 

• Atrill et al (2008), undertook a longitudinal study of English football results over a 55 year period found that teams playing in red ‘significantly outperformed their non-red neighbours’.
    • Greenlees (2010), found that penalty takers had less success when facing a goalkeeper wearing red.
    • Hill and Barton (2005) found that in combat sports (Boxing, Taekwondo and Wrestling) where participants were randomly assigned red or blue colours, 55% of bouts were won by those in red. They found that where there was a significant points difference, the colours made no difference, but where there was a close match the colour was enough to influence outcomes. A different study, Dijkstra and Preenen (2008) studied another combat sport (Judo) where participants are randomly assigned blue or white and found no difference between these colours. 
    • Ilie et al (2008) replicated Hill and Barton’s study, but for virtual combat and found similar results – indeed the % advantage for red was remarkably similar. 
    • Sorkowski and Szmajke (2011) found that 'the colour of the used stimulus might significantly influence perceptual efficiency and, therefore, the results and performance of individuals'. In their study red targets were more easily hit, which relates to the point made by Weegie above about successful passes.
    • Feltman and Elliot (2011) found that, ‘wearing red enhanced perceptions of one's relative dominance and threat, and viewing an opponent in red enhanced perceptions of the opponent's relative dominance and threat’.
    • Recours and Briki (2015) studied video gamers and found that participants ‘exposed to an opponent in red reported a higher level of cognitive anxiety’. 
    • Mentzel (2021) found that cyclists had higher maximum heart rate values when wearing red than when wearing blue.

And here’s one that might relate to our giving away a penalty yesterday (though, given the height of Anderson’s hand I doubt it):

• Frank and Gilovich (1988) Analysed records from NHL and NFL matches and found that referees were significantly more likely to award penalties against teams wearing black.  

Finally, I did find one study where wearing red was seen to be a disadvantage. Although that in itself does help validate some of the other studies:

• Krenn (2014) found that when referees were showed videos of tackles from behind, they were more likely to judge players harshly if they knew the player was wearing red than when they were shown the same videos in monochrome. This discrepancy was not apparent with any other kit colour.  

Of course, the outcomes aren’t going to be so massive that it’s immediately obvious that red has an advantage. If that were the case, there’d be no discussion and every team would insist on playing red whenever they could. However, even very subtle changes in perception and aggression (these seem to be the two underlying reasons) may produce positive outcomes over a long period of time. Surely the mere fact that red advantage is a possibility should make it worth trying. After all, the difference of one more goal scored or one less conceded over the course of a season could turn out to impact our team’s divisional status the following season. It would be stupid throwing away this potential advantage.

Even if there was no advantage in wearing red though, I’d still want us wearing it every match. Because ultimately the real argument isn’t about sporting advantage it’s about sporting identity. We are Charlton and we play in red. Red is our primary colour and we should always play in red whenever we have the chance because it is part of our heritage. It is one of those things that gives us consistency. Players come and go. Managers come and go. Although most fans make a lifetime commitment, even they come and go, as evidenced by the roll call yesterday. One of the very few things that can, and should, remain constant forever is our club colours. There is never a good excuse for changing or diluting them.

• Options
    Britain built the biggest empire the world has ever known with its core army wearing red and we had to play away to conquer all those countries

Santa wears red when he has to deliver all those presents all over the world, Rudolf has a red nose

Proper London buses are red

Post boxes are red 

phone boxes were red 

it’s a colour that dominates the eyeline

• Options
    edited January 7
  • Options
    Airman, do you know why UoG have an interest in us wearing different colours?
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Not trying to answer for Airman as I may be wrong, but I doubt UoG gave the colour much thought. They've just sponsored the away kit so want it to be used, I'd imagine. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Not trying to answer for Airman as I may be wrong, but I doubt UoG gave the colour much thought. They've just sponsored the away kit so want it to be used, I'd imagine.
    I understand they were unhappy we wore the red shirts away last season. I get that from their perspective but it’s the tail wagging the dog. It also devalues the RSK sponsorship.
  • Options
    Arsenal are currently playing Liverpool, Arsenal in all white and Liverpool in all purple, so who knows anymore. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Arsenal are currently playing Liverpool, Arsenal in all white and Liverpool in all purple, so who knows anymore. 
    I just turned it on and thought I’d selected the wrong game on ESPN. Any explanation why the Arse are in white? I think white numbers on white shirts, with the sponsors name in white is a bizarre choice. Good job it’s not snowing. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Arsenal’s white kit is part of a take red off the streets campaign ( knife crime).