Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your longest gap between away ground visits

I've decided to go to Vale on Saturday despite mostly limiting my away games to new grounds these days. 

I went there only once before, for an insipid 2 0 defeat in March 1997. That'll mean a gap of some 27 years between visits. (And probably another insipid 2 0 defeat.) 

What's your longest gap between away ground visits? 

Comments

• Options
    edited January 4
    I've decided to go to Vale on Saturday despite mostly limiting my away games to new grounds these days. 

I went there only once before, for an insipid 2 0 defeat in March 1997. That'll mean a gap of some 27 years between visits. (And probably another insipid 2 0 defeat.) 

Bored at work today mate? :)

Lincoln pre-season around '87, then the next visit was October 2021.
  • Options
    Wembley 2019 and Gills FA cup
  • Options
    Boxing Day was my first visit to Orient since about 1991
  • Options
    Wembley 2019 and Gills FA cup
    The Gillingham FA cup game was at Wembley?
  • Options
    If we play Wrexham next year it would be 43 years since my last visit to the Racecourse Ground 
  • Options

Yes, but don't tell my gaffer!!
  • Options

I reckon this could be the winner. At a guess might Halifax be another? FA Cup in 2011 and was it the 1970s before that?
  • Options
    The one that was my longest was Griffin Park.  I went in Dec 92 and was planning to go back there in 2020 before they moved, but then of course Covid hit and I never got the chance to go back.  After that, I think mine is Stoke in the league cup in 99 or Sheff Utd at the start of that season.  I can’t remember who we played first that year - I remember Sheff Utd being early in the league, but not sure if it was before or after Stoke in the league cup
  • Options
    Newcastle.

One & only time was the FA Cup replay in Jan 1997.

That's 27 years (thereabouts) & counting. 
  • Options
    edited January 4
    Great Question...

Portman Road

32 years and 3 months or to be more precise 11,795 days.

29th Dec 1990 Ipswich 4 - 4 Charlton
    15th Apr 2023 Ipswich 6 - 0 Charlton

Loved the first one (2-0 down, back to 2-2, 4-2 down, back to 4-4).

Closely followed by Home Park, 31 years and 9 months / 11,620 days

11th May 1991    Plymouth 2 - 0 Charlton
    4th Mar 2023      Plymouth 2 - 0 Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 4
  • Options
    edited January 4
  • Options

I reckon I’ll be with you on Port Vale although my last visit was during the promotion season when the club laid on loads of coaches. So 25 or 26 years….
  • Options
    29.10.75 Oxford (Manor Ground). Les Berry debut IF I remember correctly.
    24.09.16 Oxford (Kassam Stadium). 50 years to the day since my very first Charlton game.
  • Options
    Blackpool 1972
    Blackpool 

Hate the place 
  • Options
    Pompey not been from about 95/96 till this season. Basically missed about 11 wins. 
  • Options

I reckon this could be the winner. At a guess might Halifax be another? FA Cup in 2011 and was it the 1970s before that?
    Strong chance @clive did this.  He's been to a few aways.
  • Options
    Blackpool 1972
    Blackpool 

Hate the place 
    They lifted the banning order mate? B)
  • Options
    Pompey not been from about 95/96 till this season. Basically missed about 11 wins. 
    Not missed much then.
  • Options

Strong chance @clive did this.  He's been to a few aways.
    No, my only visit to 'The Shay' was the FA Cup game in 2011.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loftus Rd
    QPR 5 Charlton 1 March ‘83
    QPR 2 Charlton 2 Dec ‘19
    36 years & 9 months?

Also saw Oxford v Charlton in 1972 but they don’t play in the same stadium now. Would the new stadium count? That’d be more than 50 years. 
    I remember my mum organising it, and we sat in the directors box. The only time I remember my mum doing anything like that. 
  • Options
    Blimey. How did you manage to miss all of them 
  • Options
    Yeah stay away in future please
  • Options
    Because I generally only go aways where we don’t win!  

My record is shocking and sadly it’s hereditary. Bar Cray Valley, my lad hasn’t seen us win away since 2019
  • Options
    I’ve got an interesting one. Bear with me as years are the best I can remember.

my first visit to Pompey was around 1965? We were flying high, unbeaten in around 20 games. So obviously we lost (3-1 ?)

Far as I remember  didn’t visit again until around 5 years ago, say 2019?
    We won 0 - 1, our left winger scored I believe, can’t remember his name, he got a knee injury from which he was never the same player and we moved him on soon after.

Jimmy Dickinson might have played for Pompey in that 1965 match, but my memory of it is a bit vague!
  • Options
    I’ve got an interesting one. Bear with me as years are the best I can remember.

my first visit to Pompey was around 1965? We were flying high, unbeaten in around 20 games. So obviously we lost (3-1 ?)

Far as I remember  didn’t visit again until around 5 years ago, say 2019?
    We won 0 - 1, our left winger scored I believe, can’t remember his name, he got a knee injury from which he was never the same player and we moved him on soon after.

Jimmy Dickinson might have played for Pompey in that 1965 match, but my memory of it is a bit vague!
    Fifty plus years. You'll take some beating !
  • Options
    Because I generally only go aways where we don’t win!  

My record is shocking and sadly it’s hereditary. Bar Cray Valley, my lad hasn’t seen us win away since 2019
    Not many have 
  • Options
    V Oxford away - 24/10/1987 - lost 2-1

v Oxford away - 14/08/2021 - lost 2-1

33 years and 10 months.
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers 1976 old Eastville ground Andy Nelson days then not again untill last season, around 47 years