Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Online Fans Meeting With Club Directors This Wednesday

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    No way the FA Will let us play 8-8-8
    We'd still lose.
  • Options
    I’m going to come out in support of @DubaiCAFC post here. Perhaps “suck it up” was the wrong and perhaps an inflammatory phrase to use but realistically we are between a rock and a hard place as supporters. We do have new owners and despite people’s impatience they have a mountain to climb in turning around years of dreadful ownership and hollowing out of the club. Anyone that thinks this is a two minute surgical procedure hasn’t been paying attention. It would appear that the owners and SMT are at least on the same page and realise that recruitment needs to be a lot better and will cost money. As supporters and this where I agree with Dubai is what do we do ? Start protesting and call for owners or manager to depart or do we see where this goes over the next couple of seasons. I think given the appalling state of the club they have to be given time. If it’s obvious that both recruitment and off the field matters are not improving then there’s time enough for getting the pigs back out but I’m assuming the money men will have something to say as well. I’m not happy with how things are but I’m a realist. I don’t want Methven, Scott, Rodwell, or Appleton gone. I want to see them do better. If that doesn’t happen then all bets are off. 
    You make very valid points SHG and I’m prepared to give the owners/SMT a chance to get things right and that will take time and even if we don’t go up next season we need to see significant progress being made and for me that would mean making the play offs, after all Scott said not finishing top six this season would be failure.

The only place I differ is in that Appleton isn’t the man for the job and I’d rather him gone as soon as possible so that we can bring in the right man for the job so the ambitions stated can be achieved. I fear that if he remains we are only wasting time and opportunity.
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Something just doesn't sit right for me with Rodwell , get the feeling he's a bit of a slippery character.

Actually thought Gavin Carter came across the best of the 3 , at least he had a bit more of a fans perspective. 

As with anything like this , it's all well and good having shiny PowerPoints for people but the proof will be if they put their words into actions.

The Dr Will Abbott hiring does sound like a real statement of intent to go and get someone from one of the more highly regarded PL setups does seem like a coup. 
    I just wonder if he's so highly rated why would he leave a premier club to come to this shit show ?
    The challenge and pay of course I would guess, Bob
    Obviously can't comment on the pay (though surely a prem league club would pay more than us) but surely the challenge would be keeping Brighton pushing the top 6 in the premier, not helping a struggling league 3 team avoid relegation. Ah well maybe time will tell.
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Something just doesn't sit right for me with Rodwell , get the feeling he's a bit of a slippery character.

Actually thought Gavin Carter came across the best of the 3 , at least he had a bit more of a fans perspective. 

As with anything like this , it's all well and good having shiny PowerPoints for people but the proof will be if they put their words into actions.

The Dr Will Abbott hiring does sound like a real statement of intent to go and get someone from one of the more highly regarded PL setups does seem like a coup. 
    I just wonder if he's so highly rated why would he leave a premier club to come to this shit show ?
    The challenge and pay of course I would guess, Bob
    Obviously can't comment on the pay (though surely a prem league club would pay more than us) but surely the challenge would be keeping Brighton pushing the top 6 in the premier, not helping a struggling league 3 team avoid relegation. Ah well maybe time will tell.
    He doesn’t work with the Brighton first team he holds a position in their academy set up. Therefore he is stepping up a level with us.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Forgetting about the other 8 and 8, but if we got 8 players who met their elite L1 criteria, we would be up there for sure. But I didn't hear how we achieve that, only how we are likely to lose two of our current players who might fit that elite L1 description and that Bromley Charlton fans were happy about that even though fans at that meeting have suggested that wasn't the case.

I wasn't at the Bromley meeting of course, but if I had been asked the question "We have a player(s) who is out of contract in June 2024 and who is refusing to sign a new contract that we believe to be fair in all the circumstances - what would you do in the January 2024 transfer window?" - I would answer "sell". That doesn't mean I would be happy about it but it is the only pragmatic solution.

But how much are we likely to rake in ? A few quid in football terms. They are the only two players (given Alfie's absence) likely to make a difference to this team. Sell them & do you really expect them to be replaced with similar quality ? A massive mistake if we "cash in" now & if we do need to sell for a pittance to bring in almost certainly lesser players isn't that a good indication that there is little to no money available for signings despite what these chancers would have us believe. We need to keep them until their contract runs out & possibly continue negotiating. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Don’t think for one minute that we are poaching him from a similar position at Brighton. He currently holds a similar position in their academy so he’s moving to us for a significant promotion.
    Ok didn't realise he was from their academy, sounded like a big deal we were poaching him from a premier club as though it was some kind of coup. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Forgetting about the other 8 and 8, but if we got 8 players who met their elite L1 criteria, we would be up there for sure. But I didn't hear how we achieve that, only how we are likely to lose two of our current players who might fit that elite L1 description and that Bromley Charlton fans were happy about that even though fans at that meeting have suggested that wasn't the case.

I wasn't at the Bromley meeting of course, but if I had been asked the question "We have a player(s) who is out of contract in June 2024 and who is refusing to sign a new contract that we believe to be fair in all the circumstances - what would you do in the January 2024 transfer window?" - I would answer "sell". That doesn't mean I would be happy about it but it is the only pragmatic solution.

But how much are we likely to rake in ? A few quid in football terms. They are the only two players (given Alfie's absence) likely to make a difference to this team. Sell them & do you really expect them to be replaced with similar quality ? A massive mistake if we "cash in" now & if we do need to sell for a pittance to bring in almost certainly lesser players isn't that a good indication that there is little to no money available for signings despite what these chancers would have us believe. We need to keep them until their contract runs out & possibly continue negotiating. 
    I hope that bringing players in from a Premier League club would suggest they can do a job in the third division.  On the face of it this could be a good signing.
    However, I feel we'll turn out to be replacing bodies with Dobson and Blackett-Taylor not being here next season.  Hopefully we'll keep them to help stave off relegation.
    Overall, I'm with you regards this mob.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Can someone tell me what all this 8+8+8 is all about. 

Rodwell presented a slide earlier with a 24 man squad broken down into 8 "Elite League 1 players ", 8 Solid League 1 Players and 8 Academy graduates. 
    supaclive said:
    Can someone tell me what all this 8+8+8 is all about. 
    8 elite players
    8 league one normal players
    8 players promoted from the youth squad

Hey Presto
    Our Relegation Squad for 2024/25 right there for you
    Thank you.

Love to know the measurement for an "Elite" player compared to your "normal"one ?  Can they eat 3 weetabix for breakfast perhaps ?
    No!

Three shredded wheat. We’re talking elite here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 12
    I’m going to come out in support of @DubaiCAFC post here. Perhaps “suck it up” was the wrong and perhaps an inflammatory phrase to use but realistically we are between a rock and a hard place as supporters. We do have new owners and despite people’s impatience they have a mountain to climb in turning around years of dreadful ownership and hollowing out of the club. Anyone that thinks this is a two minute surgical procedure hasn’t been paying attention. It would appear that the owners and SMT are at least on the same page and realise that recruitment needs to be a lot better and will cost money. As supporters and this where I agree with Dubai is what do we do ? Start protesting and call for owners or manager to depart or do we see where this goes over the next couple of seasons. I think given the appalling state of the club they have to be given time. If it’s obvious that both recruitment and off the field matters are not improving then there’s time enough for getting the pigs back out but I’m assuming the money men will have something to say as well. I’m not happy with how things are but I’m a realist. I don’t want Methven, Scott, Rodwell, or Appleton gone. I want to see them do better. If that doesn’t happen then all bets are off. 
    Trouble is, there are certain sections of our support who has already made their mind up about the owners, the set-up of the club, before they was even through the door. As I have said, it hasn't been a great start, but they are clearly putting plans in place, they are willing to throw money at it, and people are still not happy.. Not many league one clubs will be paying fees for players this month that's for sure! 

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Trouble is, there are certain sections of our support who has already made their mind up about the owners, the set-up of the club, before they was even through the door. As I have said, it has been a great start, but they are clearly putting plans in place, they are willing to throw money at it, and people are still not happy.. Not many league one clubs will be paying fees for players this month that's for sure! 

I cannot speak for everyone only myself. 
    But so far I have no problem with our new owners. 
    They seem to realise that you need proper football people in charge to run the club.
    Compare that with Roland who thought his niece could do the job
    Or Sandgaard who thought his son and his girlfriend could do it.
    My main concern is that Appleton is a very poor choice as manager and that allowing him to remain in charge and oversee this transfer window is wasting valuable time. 
    This season has been a disaster whichever way you look at it and Scott must take his fair share of the blame with some of the dross he has bought to the club.
    But if the Coventry signing happens today and a couple more decent player's arrive then next season should be much better. 
    I just wish it wasn't Appleton as manager. 
    I don't think Appleton was the best choice, but we need to give him the tools, which hopefully this window they do, and if no improvement, then we can say 100% wrong decision, until now till the end of the season the jury is out for me. 

We can't keep chopping and changing managers every 6 months if we want to be successful. 
    I totally agree that changing manager's every six months is madness. 
    Personally I would have liked to see what Holden could achieve when he had fit striker's to choose from.
    Anyway that's history now and all we can do is hope  Appleton is better than a lot of us think he is.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Trouble is, there are certain sections of our support who has already made their mind up about the owners, the set-up of the club, before they was even through the door. As I have said, it has been a great start, but they are clearly putting plans in place, they are willing to throw money at it, and people are still not happy.. Not many league one clubs will be paying fees for players this month that's for sure! 

Yeh, I suppose I have already made my mind up about the new owners.
    A bunch of remote Americans who had never heard of Charlton Athletic have been persuaded by a bunch of people with previous that there may be a quick buck to be made with minimal outlay.
    How very rude and ignorant of me.
    Patience eh? It seems to me we have been patient enough in recent years with fake promises of jam tomorrow.
    The outpouring of goodwill and optimism that greeted Sandgarrd's arrival and rescue from the crooks was betrayed and I suspect our confidence and goodwill is all used up.
    So, I don't think many are in the mood to be patient.
    Sorry if that hurts the feelings of your contacts.
    I have no doubt at all that we all want these people to succeed.
    But all the while they keep delivering dogshit don't expect plaudits or patience.
    And if they start pushing the narrative that it will take several windows to get it right then don't be surprised if fans find something else to do in the meantime
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    An elite player is one who wears Armani, a Rolex and drives a Range Rover Sport...
    Charlie Kirk?
  • Options
    As Paul Elliott said, the two most successful, and probably a third if you include the Womens team parts of the club at the moment are the Academy and Trust, as they've had continuity of leadership, which we haven't had for the men's first team in god knows how long. 

Is Appleton the right man, probably not, but as Rodwell said, if chopping and changing managers worked, we would be in the Premier League by now
  • Options
    Having finally watched the programme I'm firmly behind Fanny 🙄. I'm not sure what people expected. Rodwell came over OK and was as open as he could be. I think they're well intended but of course actions and results speak louder than words. Still don't trust Charlie M as I think he's only interested in number 1.
  • Options
    Having finally watched the programme I'm firmly behind Fanny 🙄. I'm not sure what people expected. Rodwell came over OK and was as open as he could be. I think they're well intended but of course actions and results speak louder than words. Still don't trust Charlie M as I think he's only interested in number 1.
    It's good to have fellow Lifers firmly behind me B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Trouble is, there are certain sections of our support who has already made their mind up about the owners, the set-up of the club, before they was even through the door. As I have said, it hasn't been a great start, but they are clearly putting plans in place, they are willing to throw money at it, and people are still not happy.. Not many league one clubs will be paying fees for players this month that's for sure! 

It’s still too early to judge for me, but it hasn’t been good so far. Throwing money at it isn’t enough, Roland and Sandgaard did that too, what we are looking for is competence and at the moment it’s not looking great on that front either 
  • Options
    It's good to have fellow Lifers firmly behind me B)

Had to be done...