Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Disillusioned with Charlton

Over the last few games where I’ve been watching Charlton I have felt nothing but feeling completely disillusioned. Not even angry or frustrated anymore.

The football at Charlton has been the worst since I started watching them since the early 90’s. The Port Vale game today, Burton and Cambridge at home recently was as boring as anything. Dreadful football. I didn’t go to the Oxford game at home because I couldn’t bare sitting in freezing cold with a hangover watching poor standard football. 

I keep on hearing other fans feeling the same way and some even considering not renewing their season ticket next season. Such a shame to see a club like this but when we’ve had owners shit on us over the years who can blame them. I’m only going because of social reasons but if all of my friends stop I probably wouldn’t go anymore.

This January window has got to be the most important window over the last windows. The standard and management has to improve massively to win the fans back over.

Comments

• Options
    Form an orderly queue please.
  • Options
    Having served the required 65 years as an Addick, RedChaser, I’m in total agreement with you.
  • Options
    58 years supporting Charlton. 
    So I've only got to get through another 7 and it will start to get better. 
    Happy days 
  • Options
    56 years for me. Occasional wonderful moments/eras but 95% disappointment. Just accept that's what you signed up for when all your mates were pinning their nails to the West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man U masts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:
    I actually really worry about our very existence, I would think a growing percentage of our support isn't local anymore so going to the matches is becoming harder and harder for some and what with the continued poor state of the team and the possibility of these rumoured parking restrictions I can see this having an effect on attendances going forward, all this coupled with not owning the stadium has me very worried.

I've been a season ticket holder for near on every year since 1989, my lad who's nearly 13 has had one for the last six years and both of us are thinking of not bothering with the season tickets next year.

I fall into this category. I have a ST but realistically going to a home game takes up the whole of Saturday. I’m really debating renewing next season.

I used to hate missing matches due to other commitments whereas now it doesn’t phase me at all 
  • Options
    Mrs Redlane asks, reasonably enough,  "why do you bother?".  But unless you're about 8 years old you can't and won't change teams, you've made your bed...

So you settle for the positives, the occasional highs, the dreams of whole seasons of highs (we've had a few, come on), and the broader stuff- seeing mates, some fresh air, etc.  Totally understand if this isn't enough for some though 
    I spy a gap in the market for Charlton Specific anger management counselling services. I do wish our fortunes didn't concern me, but then I wouldn't be on here relating to you fine like minded folk, so there's a positive.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Must spend thousands of pounds on Charlton every season, the club could at least offer a tiny bit of happiness in return. It's not asking for much, and it's only human to start wondering if it's worth it. 
  • Options
    Only 18 years for me and I’m still feeling perky! There’s a good time coming but it’s a good time coming!
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Only 18 years for me and I’m still feeling perky! There’s a good time coming but it’s a good time coming!
    Discovered football aged 40. 
  • Options
    59 years for me - so does that mean I have another 6 years? 

FFS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Over the last few games where I’ve been watching Charlton I have felt nothing but feeling completely disillusioned. Not even angry or frustrated anymore.

The football at Charlton has been the worst since I started watching them since the early 90’s. The Port Vale game today, Burton and Cambridge at home recently was as boring as anything. Dreadful football. I didn’t go to the Oxford game at home because I couldn’t bare sitting in freezing cold with a hangover watching poor standard football. 

I keep on hearing other fans feeling the same way and some even considering not renewing their season ticket next season. Such a shame to see a club like this but when we’ve had owners shit on us over the years who can blame them. I’m only going because of social reasons but if all of my friends stop I probably wouldn’t go anymore.

This January window has got to be the most important window over the last windows. The standard and management has to improve massively to win the fans back over.
    I am old enough to have watched us in the lower leagues before we got to the prem 
    OK the football wasn't the best but the players loved the club & gave everything 
    But this lot don't seem to have the same drive they seem to be more worried about how they look thinking they are Billy big boll@@ks just telling us fans what they think we want to hear 
    & to be honest it's knocking the love of the team & game out of me 

• Options
    I think the parking restrictions are really going to affect the club, so many travel in mainly from kent, the trains not for everyone for many reasons!  Mixed with the dire football & lack of ambition over the last 10 years or so the apathy has set in.  I’m normally a 10/12 game a season due to work but I really can’t be bothered now.  Supporter for 45 years! 
  • Options
    No matter how we try to cut it up, it’s impossible to get Charlton out of your blood. I started in 1961 and up until 2020 I was a regular at The Valley hardly ever missing a home game and going to a few always. I’ve experienced the highs and the lows and as try as I might just like Michael Corleone you just can’t get away and quite honestly deep down I wouldn’t want to. I think the lifelong addiction to CAFC is the greatest gift ive ever been given. 
    I'll tell that to my boys - it isn't what they were saying as we walked away yesterday, freezing cold and p*ssed off. I won't mention the 65 year thing as it's only 25 years since their first game at The Valley.

But yes, of course you are right - we are all now permanently attached to our wonderful club. I know it, and they know it too.,

• Options
    My first recollection is the 6 all draw with Boro. That was in 1960 so that makes it 63 years for me. Disillusioned doesn’t cover it for me - anger, embarrassment and disgust is more like it. I keep thinking we have reached rock bottom and then we contrive to make it even worse. I had a meltdown yesterday and shed tears of frustration when Port Vale equalised. My wife thinks I need help - and she might be right. I truly wish I could get my beloved Addicks out of my system but like most of us, I just can’t. If we went out of business it would hurt but my life would be better for it. Football is supposed to be fun, isn’t it? There is no joy in supporting Charlton for me. If only the powers that be cared half as much as much as we do and suffered like we do. 
  • Options
    59 years for me .All I aspire to as a fan is championship football ,stability off the pitch and to see 11 players fighting for the shirt .Not to mention the whole match day experience of where to park and awful beer.As the years go by I go and care less and less
  • Options
    over 60 years for me, my first game was the last of the season we only had to draw for promotion and we lost - I should have known at that point that supporting this club would be a life of a few highs and lots of lows, but am I disillusioned? - no - it's Charlton and you take the good with the bad. I find all this sackcloth and ashes by some of our fans a little hard to bear as we have relatively new owners a newish coach and lot of injured 1st team players.
  • Options
    After 80 minutes of the Oxford game, I said I'd make a decision on going to Port Vale.

Spent yesterday afternoon at Fisher FC instead and had a much better Saturday because of it. 

Can't remember a time when I've ever missed a Charlton game, home or away, simply because I couldn't be arsed. I've found I have to stick a fiver on a Charlton win just to have any interest in the match. 
  • Options
    66 years for me…….part of my soul part of my being who I am (for better or worse), will take the Addicks to my grave and all Addicks are my adopted family……to one extent or another.
  • Options
    First bunked in over The Heights in 1965, so just on 59yrs, never another club for me. 
    I would have given 10yrs of my life to have pulled on a Charlton shirt, still feel a fraud for wearing a replica as i think the right to wear the shirt should be earned  not brought.
    So i get livid when i see players give less than 100%. 

I will keep going because thats what i have done, through the good times through the bad times.

But i can see us struggle in the future because i just dont see that many kids going.