Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Disillusioned with Charlton

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 10
    I reckon our under 8’s might stand a chance, against our lot!!

• Options
    First game 1955 so that makes 69 years of ups and downs,but at the moment as I approach my 80 th birthday,this could be it.I drive up from medway,if the parking gets dodgy ,I am done.I cannot stand much more of this crap we are watching.
  • Options
    It’s rubbish at the moment, but I have seen this all before, albeit not for such a long timeframe, as in time spent in Div 3 - I don’t mind seeing us lose, provided they try

That said, I still enjoy going, beers with my mates, discussing the ups and downs of the club / team, away days etc etc - despite it being crud, it’s a welcome distraction from my increasingly stressful job

I will carry on regardless, although one of my mates I suspect will ditch his season ticket next season, because he is definitely disillusioned  
  • Options
    I'll always support Charlton although I do think I'll start going to less games, as I get older I'm enjoying warmer climates more and more, and of course that clashes with the football season.
  • Options
    Started going as a kid in the mid-90s, was 10 years old for the '98 play-off final. Thing is that football always matters a lot more when you're growing up so couldn't have got more lucky. Charlton included on FIFA '99 and the following Premiership Years as a teenager and I couldn't have been more bonded to the club. Going into school after beating Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool... and sending Palace down were a particular highlight!

Nowadays, I couldn't really give a monkeys about this bunch of players or manager - partly stage of life, and partly because they sometimes seem less arsed than I do drinking a Bovril and checking my Fantasy team. It's all peaks and troughs and we're in a bit of a long-term trough but not forever. It's not even about being good - but connecting with the club in some way, give me a trundling 34-year old 'legs gone' Jacko over most of this mob. Dobbo is the closest we've got now but he's (likely) running down his contract to see if there's a better offer out there, which is fair but hardly inspiring. The toxicity of some fans on "X" could also be enough to put anyone off...

Still, there's a lot of constants to like about the club - proper stadium amongst the community, the community work itself and commitment to developing young exciting players. Will always be Charlton fan but do need to be given a bit more of a reason to care at the minute. To use an analogy I'd say the the pilot light of my Charlton fandom is on, but it's January, the heating is firmly off and I'm feeling the cold!
  • Options
    Have the new signings made anyone feel more positive about the future, or is it still too early?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Have the new signings made anyone feel more positive about the future, or is it still too early?
    Far too early. I see it as a rebuild for next season tbh. Give the new players 15-20 games to bed in & see who else we bring in this month / over the summer.

I would say this season is over but we could still get dragged down into a relegation scrap.anyway even thinking of the top 6 needs their bumps felt.

I'm still contemplating going tomorrow as I'd like to see the new players, but with no real firepower if May is out then it might not make comfortable watching. 
  • Options
    We’re 200/1 to win the playoffs @golfaddick

You’ll be gutted you never backed it when it happens!
  • Options
    Fair enough. 
    I had very low expectations of this window, and these signings have made me feel more positive. 
    I’m still expecting is to lose tomorrow though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Fair enough. 
    I had very low expectations of this window, and these signings have made me feel more positive. 
    I’m still expecting is to lose tomorrow though. 
    Yeah I like the signings so far, but will reserve judgement until the end of the window. If we lose both CBT and Dobson and don't sign a decent striker (JCH or equivalent) then I'd say it's been a poor January.

I don't think that will happen tbf.
  • Options
    edited January 13
    With our fixtures in February I sadly think it's going to get worse before it gets better. We could be firmly in the relegation zone come March before the new team gels and starts the climb back out. 
  • Options
    Just when you thought you was out, they draw you back in.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Feeling really positive after the Q&A and subsequent signings including Fleming.

I think this lot are more of the real deal football wise and understand the game far better than past 3 predecessors. Methven will have learned a lot from his Sunderland debacle and hopefully looking to right some wrongs.

If they all make a good few quid by turning around the Titanic over next 5 years and getting us competing regularly in top 6 of championship and beyond then they'll have earned it. 

Don't think blagging a salary for a few months/ year and all the shit that comes with failure can be the angle surely.

I'm putting faith behind this lot and getting behind Appleton and the squad and hope that we can get some sustained optimism and positivity back at the Valley for a while after a long over due absence.

It's not gonna change over night and there's only so much will be done in this window but hopefully good business so far on playing and coaching staff and and a few more in in January. Then finish season strongly and build early in summer ready to give it a go next year. I'm being realistic and pragmatic about this season including tomorrow vs a very good Peterborough side.

Gonna get behind the manager, players and owners as it always feels better when we all pull together.
    I agree with you 100% mate ! Tbh I’m struggling to remember one thing that the owners have said that they haven’t done so far. Everyone knows the club was in a dire position and needs sorting from top to bottom this will take time but they certainly do not come across by their actions as the chancers that a few portray them to be on here.

some people will never be happy until PV is at the helm (ain’t ever going to happen) I personally very willing to wait and see how this develops but the early signs are good imo 
  • Options
    edited January 13
    JamesSeed said:
    The new signings will make me feel good if we win promotion at the end of  this  season.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Yes more positive because its grass roots in spring, but unlike in the past I am very wary and look forward to the proof being in the eating!

But hopefully, fewer late goals!
  • Options
    edited January 13
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The new signings will make me feel good if we win promotion at the end of  this  season.
    Nice one Setho. That really made me chuckle. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I'm guessing your response is somewhat tongue in cheek, but I think it's fair to say that promotion is all but impossible this year. 

For simplicity's sake, let's say we're at the halfway point in the season (the reality is a little worse - or better, depending on how you look at it). We are currently 13 points behind 6th placed Barnsley (we'll also pretend that they don't have a game in hand on us). But Barnsley are still ten points behind leaders, Portsmouth. What this indicates is that even if we suddenly started picking up points at the same rate as Portsmouth, we'd still likely end up three points behind the Tykes.

I'd have never have said this at the start of the season, but right now I'd be happy with a top half finish and a squad that looks like a decent starting point for building something more competitive next season. It's a pathetically low level of acceptance, but that's the reality right now.

• Options
    edited January 13
    Stig said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I'm guessing your response is somewhat tongue in cheek, but I think it's fair to say that promotion is all but impossible this year. 

For simplicity's sake, let's say we're at the halfway point in the season (the reality is a little worse - or better, depending on how you look at it). We are currently 13 points behind 6th placed Barnsley (we'll also pretend that they don't have a game in hand on us). But Barnsley are still ten points behind leaders, Portsmouth. What this indicates is that even if we suddenly started picking up points at the same rate as Portsmouth, we'd still likely end up three points behind the Tykes.

I'd have never have said this at the start of the season, but right now I'd be happy with a top half finish and a squad that looks like a decent starting point for building something more competitive next season. It's a pathetically low level of acceptance, but that's the reality right now.

You are right as usual, but I am fed up with this reality (disillusioned?) so to follow your number based post, until it is mathematically impossible to win promotion either automatically or via the play offs I am expecting the hundreds of billionaires, wrangled by Methven, to deliver promotion this season.
    I would rather wallow in that expectation than flail around in the present depressing reality.
    Maybe I am heaping undue pressure on the poor diddums loves bless ‘em, but I have been heartened by the recent revival of the old chant #Get in to them, f*** ‘em up#