Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Office Horizon scandal

1161718192022»

Comments

• Rob7Lee said:
    Todays union rep was unbelievable, and people bang on about joining a union, he's as guilty as the rest of them.
    This wasn't a normal Trade Union though, that is the whole point. It was set up by the Post Office.

On 19 April 1897 a group of up to 90 subpostmasters assembled at the Music Saloon, Wood Street, Wakefield to consider forming a national association to "improve the conditions under which subpostmasters labour and to undertake the advancement of our interests by all legitimate and honourable means".

The federation was formed, with Wakefield as its headquarters, and the first conference was held in Nottingham on 11 April 1898. The first edition of a monthly newspaper The SubPostmaster was published on 4 September 1899, and Joseph Ranns, founder and first National President, wrote the inaugural article. The magazine is still published today. In February 1947, the federation's headquarters moved to Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex.

The NFSP was originally a trade union. In 2013 the Post Office stated that they did not recognise the NFSP for collective bargaining purposes.[3]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Federation_of_SubPostmasters

• Whilst I was a worker I was always in a Trade Union, and still pay a small annual amount as a retired member.
    No way on earth would I have joined a Union established, or partially funded by my employer.
    I learned very quickly as a young worker that those involved in my local Trade Union were unpaid volunteer activists, supported by a modest financed central structure. All the structures whether the centrally financed one or the local one was elected by the membership.
    I turned up and participated in every workplace and district meeting, eventually took on some of the activity also unpaid. I became a local Treasurer, President and was otherwise active.
    We circulated literature, met and negotiated with employers, took on individual local member casework, offered support and advice and stepped in with modest funding for members in emergencies. I attended London meetings and National Conferences. And helped organise and participate in industrial action when the membership voted for it.
    I was never of the mind ‘what’s the Union doing about it?’, but realised the activity was down to the membership being involved and trying their best…I repeat all of it completely unpaid, the Union dues paid by members was sacred, spent wisely and scrutinised.
    I don’t want any of this to read l was the big I am, but over the years I know I helped other Union members with some very difficult employment issues. The by product of a lot of my work also helped employers many times.
    The ‘Union’ leader at the Horizon inquiry was not independent of the employer. I don’t know for certain, but was very probably funded by the employer, perhaps to play some middleman role.
    It will take seconds to search what improvements for all our lives have been achieved by Trade Unions.
    As one single example, how about maternity leave?
  • clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Todays union rep was unbelievable, and people bang on about joining a union, he's as guilty as the rest of them.
    This wasn't a normal Trade Union though, that is the whole point. It was set up by the Post Office.

On 19 April 1897 a group of up to 90 subpostmasters assembled at the Music Saloon, Wood Street, Wakefield to consider forming a national association to "improve the conditions under which subpostmasters labour and to undertake the advancement of our interests by all legitimate and honourable means".

The federation was formed, with Wakefield as its headquarters, and the first conference was held in Nottingham on 11 April 1898. The first edition of a monthly newspaper The SubPostmaster was published on 4 September 1899, and Joseph Ranns, founder and first National President, wrote the inaugural article. The magazine is still published today. In February 1947, the federation's headquarters moved to Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex.

The NFSP was originally a trade union. In 2013 the Post Office stated that they did not recognise the NFSP for collective bargaining purposes.[3]

Yes, set up by the Post Office to work for them, not the sub postmasters.
  • clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:

From what I can see it was only in the last 7-8 years PO funded by way of grants prior to that was members fee's.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:

From what I can see it was only in the last 7-8 years PO funded by way of grants prior to that was members fee's.
    It may originally have acted for its members, as a traditional trade union, but certainly didn't in the years that the Post Office acted so badly. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:

It may originally have acted for its members, as a traditional trade union, but certainly didn't in the years that the Post Office acted so badly. 
    Set up in 1897, Horizon issues/prosecutions 1999-2015 so it ws only the last 2 years.

I'm not excusing them by the way, just clarifying the facts (that I've seen online)
  • edited June 23
    clive said:

Horizon is robust, says ex-boss of postmasters' union

The Post Office's Horizon system is "very robust" and the only scandal is that the company failed to properly defend it, according to a man tasked with representing sub-postmasters.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyxxz799vxko

A position reported to have been funded by the employer since 2016, hardly the norm for a representative of the workers...

Everything about the way the Post Office operated is so wrong.
    The queues were apalling.

• Today should be lively and interesting at the enquiry with the former Fujitsu engineer, Gareth Jenkins, the designer of the faulty Horizon software, who has defended the system since 2005. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy66zq64q13o
  • Today should be lively and interesting at the enquiry with the former Fujitsu engineer, Gareth Jenkins, the designer of the faulty Horizon software, who has defended the system since 2005. 

The enquiry resumes tomorrow [Tuesday], Gareth Jenkins is due to give evidence for the rest of this week.
    https://www.postofficehorizoninquiry.org.uk/phase-5-and-6-timetable
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Fascinating to learn why he's sticking so firmly to his position
    He can't still be in the pay of anybody at PO can he?

His assertion that the system was robust but with glitches suggests he's profoundly ignorant in computing

He's right that PO's behaviour was appalling but he seems to fail to comprehend his guilt by clearly cheerful association
    Whether or not the NFSP was PO funded its head and executive were still elected by the membership, which must be uncomfortable for some.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 25
    Billy_Mix said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Fascinating to learn why he's sticking so firmly to his position
    He can't still be in the pay of anybody at PO can he?

His assertion that the system was robust but with glitches suggests he's profoundly ignorant in computing

He's right that PO's behaviour was appalling but he seems to fail to comprehend his guilt by clearly cheerful association
    Whether or not the NFSP was PO funded its head and executive were still elected by the membership, which must be uncomfortable for some.

He’s hardly going to say something like we knew at the time the system was flawed but kept quiet about it…

• edited June 25
    Today should be lively and interesting at the enquiry with the former Fujitsu engineer, Gareth Jenkins, the designer of the faulty Horizon software, who has defended the system since 2005. 

Four days of Gareth Jenkins who looks like he is the age of the current USA president !
    (Biden Still better than the pussy grabber !)

The most interesting part will be if he drops Ex post office top staff into the cesspit of scandalous Poo ?

Who at POL decided he was Doctor Jenkins and not just plain Mr Jenkins ?
    Was it deliberate to boost his credibility or was it just the usual incompetence of the Post office during this whole scandal where post office post masters and mistresses were seen as unimportant and just numbers and it didn't matter if they were guilty or innocent as the only thing that mattered was protecting the brand  and putting the money they had to pay to keep out of prison into the bonuses of the main players in this scandal: Vennels right down to the thugs who did the primary interviews according to the evidence at this inquiry.

Jenkins has already been totally criticised by a judge as a discredited witness but in some ways he could reveal a lot this week depending what his lawyer has told him to say or not say 🤔
  • edited June 25
    I'm nearly an hour behind watching Jenkins give his evidence and I can imagine the thousands of people saying about the bug that seems to be flying around his head as very ironic !
    Maybe the pesky fly is just an anomaly.
  • Seems like the fly is quite robust.
  • I watched until lunchtime yesterday and didn't hear anything that I wouldn't expect from someone performing the role that Jenkins did.  So far I just don't buy the idea that Fujitsu were complicit in the Post Office's mess.
  • Ed Davey currently giving evidence to the enquiry.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ce786npwdgkt
  • Horizon IT system still causing problems for postmasters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cj6ez6p567do
  • edited September 23
    clive said:
    Ed Davey currently giving evidence to the enquiry.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ce786npwdgkt
    did he turn up in a clown's outfit ?

EDIT Just seen the date  :*
  • Post Office apparently still asking Fujitsu to support prosecutions of postmasters with Horizon-based evidence as recently as this year!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/sep/24/post-office-inquiry-horizon-it-data-criminal-case