Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Air Strikes In Yemen

Reports from Reuters say that fighter jets and tomahawk strikes have begun from UK and US ships - this follows an online Cabinet meeting at 7.45 tonight (with leaders of the opposition). It would appear that we are now involved in a war albeit at this stage targets being ammunition sites. Will it stop there or will we end up in an Israeli type situation where collateral damage is inevitable? Will the Houthis carry on regardless and will it spill further afield? All very worrying.         

Comments

• Options
    About bloody time.
  • Options
    The Houthis have some pretty serious firepower, could see something going quite wrong here. 

Read that the drones they are firing cost around $20k whereas the anti drone missiles fired by the west coast around $1m. 

You can do a huge amount of economic damage at a 50:1 ratio.
  • Options
    Bad shit happening in Ecuador, New Guinea, now Yemen getting worse, Far Right on the rise. Worrying times. 
  • Options
    Got to make sure we stay onside with Saudi.
  • Options
    Bad shit happening in Ecuador, New Guinea, now Yemen getting worse, Far Right on the rise. Worrying times. 
    Not sure the Houthis are far right.
    Backed by Iran and closely linked with Hamas.
  • Options
    All I know, is that anyone that waits for £50 wins each month from premium bonds... would make a fortune investing in weapons manufacturers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    In 1982, Margaret Thatcher's deeply unpopular government were suffering badly in the polls and facing a heavy defeat to Labour at the next General Election.  Thankfully they were able to find a part of the planet on which to wage a war, the result of which swelled their popularity enough to ensure a landslide election victory.  

History repeats itself, first as tragedy... 
    Will we see pictures of the Prime Minister in military fatigues soon?
  • Options
    Chizz. Chizzing is the term used previously
  • Options
    Go round Africa, stop for refuelling or whatever in various parts of the African coast and boost their economy.
    Or destroy and maim and terrify and add more reasons for further conflict, all in order to get cheap T-shirts from Primark.
    Maybe I am missing something blindingly obvious, but what I do know from observed experience is it is usually the innocent who suffer most from military action.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I don’t know if it is absolutely necessary to launch this war when it would take shipping an extra 11 days by going round the Cape of Good Hope.

Yes of course it would make things more expensive, and this looks like a conflict over economics.

The shipping should absolutely not be attacked by Houthi forces in the region, but the use of deadly force in response is questionable.

The military industrial complex would urge the use of force by all parties because it boosts sales.
    The Houthi's are using deadly force against commercial and military vessels. Should we just let that go?
    No it shouldn’t be ignored.
    I have suggested an alternative to military retaliation.
    Go the long and more expensive way round.
    Should more future conflicts be lined up in the way the UK and the USA seem to be doing, and risking war with Iran?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Chizz said:
    In 1982, Margaret Thatcher's deeply unpopular government were suffering badly in the polls and facing a heavy defeat to Labour at the next General Election.  Thankfully they were able to find a part of the planet on which to wage a war, the result of which swelled their popularity enough to ensure a landslide election victory.  

History repeats itself, first as tragedy... 
    Will we see pictures of the Prime Minister in military fatigues soon?
    Probably an action man suit.
    He's a midget 
    He's a skinny fucker too. Might need a Barbie soldier outfit.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I don’t know if it is absolutely necessary to launch this war when it would take shipping an extra 11 days by going round the Cape of Good Hope.

Yes of course it would make things more expensive, and this looks like a conflict over economics.

The shipping should absolutely not be attacked by Houthi forces in the region, but the use of deadly force in response is questionable.

The military industrial complex would urge the use of force by all parties because it boosts sales.
    The Houthi's are using deadly force against commercial and military vessels. Should we just let that go?
    Should more future conflicts be lined up in the way the UK and the USA seem to be doing, and risking war with Iran?

But what of the carbon footprint created by all those extra nautical miles? It's not an environmentally sustainable solution you're proposing Seth.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Go round Africa, stop for refuelling or whatever in various parts of the African coast and boost their economy.
    Or destroy and maim and terrify and add more reasons for further conflict, all in order to get cheap T-shirts from Primark.
    Maybe I am missing something blindingly obvious, but what I do know from observed experience is it is usually the innocent who suffer most from military action.
    I mean the “blinding obvious” is that the world cannot be held to ransom by a bunch of anti-Semitic warlords.
    Is that how it is being framed? The world is being held to ransom?
    I would like to know more about that.
    I have suggested an alternative to conflict, unsatisfactory and expensive for sure, but how expensive is the military action going to be?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

That's just allowing ourselves to be bullied.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

I am sure Sunak and Biden have listened to you in great detail and discussed your alternative suggestion at great length.
    Unfortunately they have now decided that the world should not be held to ransom by terrorists who, if they go unchecked, will continue to grow in strength and power thanks to the, Iranian, state sponsored backing of probably the most dangerous regime in the middle east. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

That's just allowing ourselves to be bullied.
    I can see that point of view certainly.

But the question is how bullies are responded to.

I think the notion that military strike backs are the only choice is open to question.

I have suggested one alternative, but on the television last night I heard a military and diplomatic expert on Newsnight suggest that a military response may not be that effective because the protagonists are fast moving, hard to locate, use lower grade weaponry for higher results, and are flexible and have back up resources. 
    Also Egypt and Saudi Arabia still have diplomatic channels to the powers behind the violent Houthi forces and behaviour.

I don’t believe there is only one way to tackle this problem, whatever stance Hawks want to take.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!