Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Air Strikes In Yemen

2»

Comments

• Options
    Some absolute crackers on here so far, and no surprises. 

To believe that the government engineered the Falklands War to suit its electoral needs is tin hat flat earth territory.

To suggest that we let Houthi rebels continue and expand the Iranian backed attack by willingly going the long way round is appeasement writ large..

You are right that the long way round is a form of appeasement.
    So how do you imagine this might end, by killing everybody, or killing enough people to the point they want to give up, or bombing the territory into the Stone Age?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I don’t know if it is absolutely necessary to launch this war when it would take shipping an extra 11 days by going round the Cape of Good Hope.

Yes of course it would make things more expensive, and this looks like a conflict over economics.

The shipping should absolutely not be attacked by Houthi forces in the region, but the use of deadly force in response is questionable.

The military industrial complex would urge the use of force by all parties because it boosts sales.
    The Houthi's are using deadly force against commercial and military vessels. Should we just let that go?
    No it shouldn’t be ignored.
    I have suggested an alternative to military retaliation.
    Go the long and more expensive way round.
    Should more future conflicts be lined up in the way the UK and the USA seem to be doing, and risking war with Iran?

That's just allowing ourselves to be bullied.
    I can see that point of view certainly.

But the question is how bullies are responded to.

I think the notion that military strike backs are the only choice is open to question.

I have suggested one alternative, but on the television last night I heard a military and diplomatic expert on Newsnight suggest that a military response may not be that effective because the protagonists are fast moving, hard to locate, use lower grade weaponry for higher results, and are flexible and have back up resources. 
    Also Egypt and Saudi Arabia still have diplomatic channels to the powers behind the violent Houthi forces and behaviour.

I don’t believe there is only one way to tackle this problem, whatever stance Hawks want to take.
    I wondered what Chesney was up to these days !!  :D
  • Options
    as ever the middle east 'troubles' are concerning .. the UK does not need once again to be grasping the apron strings of the USA by following their 'bomb first ask questions later' approach to diplomacy

Also, why is it always up to the Brits to keep the peace, where are the French, Germans, Italians and the rest of the EE and/or NATO ? .. they rely on keeping trade routes open and free from attack just as much as do we, where are their Navies and Air Forces ?
    The Germans tend to travel not too far from home for their wars, and the French and Italians, well….
  • Options
    The terrorist acts by Ansar Allah are putting civilian lives at risk and threatening the passage of vital goods and international shipping through the Red Sea. So a limited, proportionate, strategic set of airstrikes are appropriate.  But there is the permanent danger of escalation, particularly at a time of heightened tensions, particularly in the light of the 7 October massacre and Israel's devastating response.  

I hope this is a very limited exercise and ends very soon.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I don’t know if it is absolutely necessary to launch this war when it would take shipping an extra 11 days by going round the Cape of Good Hope.

Yes of course it would make things more expensive, and this looks like a conflict over economics.

The shipping should absolutely not be attacked by Houthi forces in the region, but the use of deadly force in response is questionable.

The military industrial complex would urge the use of force by all parties because it boosts sales.
    The Houthi's are using deadly force against commercial and military vessels. Should we just let that go?
    No it shouldn’t be ignored.
    I have suggested an alternative to military retaliation.
    Go the long and more expensive way round.
    Should more future conflicts be lined up in the way the UK and the USA seem to be doing, and risking war with Iran?

But what of the carbon footprint created by all those extra nautical miles? It's not an environmentally sustainable solution you're proposing Seth.
    Maybe we should manufacture more closer to home.
  • Options
    Just wondering how many Chinese or Russian ships have been targeted by the Houthis?

They have basically declared war on the West and it would be foolish to allow it to continue. Nobody from the west with any sense thinks that this is a good situation and would want it to end very soon without any more casualties.
  • Options
    Bad shit happening in Ecuador, New Guinea, now Yemen getting worse, Far Right on the rise. Worrying times. 
    Not sure the Houthis are far right.
    Backed by Iran and closely linked with Hamas.

Probably Greens or Lib Dems at a push in that case.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    The terrorist acts by Ansar Allah are putting civilian lives at risk and threatening the passage of vital goods and international shipping through the Red Sea. So a limited, proportionate, strategic set of airstrikes are appropriate.  But there is the permanent danger of escalation, particularly at a time of heightened tensions, particularly in the light of the 7 October massacre and Israel's devastating response.  

I hope this is a very limited exercise and ends very soon.
    Netanyahu will certainly be feeling pretty smug about this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Go round Africa, stop for refuelling or whatever in various parts of the African coast and boost their economy.
    Or destroy and maim and terrify and add more reasons for further conflict, all in order to get cheap T-shirts from Primark.
    Maybe I am missing something blindingly obvious, but what I do know from observed experience is it is usually the innocent who suffer most from military action.
    I mean the “blinding obvious” is that the world cannot be held to ransom by a bunch of anti-Semitic warlords.
    Not really happening like this though is it 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Go round Africa, stop for refuelling or whatever in various parts of the African coast and boost their economy.
    Or destroy and maim and terrify and add more reasons for further conflict, all in order to get cheap T-shirts from Primark.
    Maybe I am missing something blindingly obvious, but what I do know from observed experience is it is usually the innocent who suffer most from military action.
    I mean the “blinding obvious” is that the world cannot be held to ransom by a bunch of anti-Semitic warlords.
    Not really happening like this though is it 
    Really? They’ve attacked and attempted to hijack merchant ships and recently tried to attack a British naval vessel. We can’t simply permit those things to happen and just take “the long way round” instead.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!