Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's the most remarkable football match played by Charlton Athletic?

There have been many remarkable football matches in Charlton Athletic's history, and opinions on the most remarkable match may vary among fans. One of the most iconic moments in Charlton's history is the 1947 FA Cup Final, often referred to as the "Matthews Final" after Blackpool's Stanley Matthews.

The FA Cup Final took place on April 26, 1947, at Wembley Stadium. Charlton Athletic faced off against Blackpool in what is considered one of the greatest FA Cup Finals of all time. The match ended in a 4-4 draw after extra time, leading to a replay.

In the replay held at Manchester United's Old Trafford on May 3, 1947, Blackpool won 4-2, with Stanley Matthews playing a pivotal role. This final is remembered for Matthews' outstanding performance and is often regarded as one of the most thrilling and memorable FA Cup Finals in history.

While this match is particularly noteworthy, Charlton Athletic has a rich history, and there may be other matches that fans consider equally remarkable based on personal preferences and the context of different eras in the club's history. 

That's interesting. Tell me about some more remarkable matches in which Charlton Athletic took part 

Charlton Athletic has a storied history with many memorable matches. Here are a few notable ones:

1. 1957 FA Cup Semi-Final Replay vs. Leeds United:
   - Charlton Athletic faced Leeds United in the FA Cup Semi-Final Replay. After a 2-2 draw in the initial match, Charlton won the replay 1-0. This victory secured their place in the FA Cup Final.

2. 1987 Full Members Cup Final vs. Blackburn Rovers:
   - Charlton reached the Full Members Cup Final in 1987 and defeated Blackburn Rovers 1-0 at Wembley Stadium. Colin Walsh scored the only goal of the match, earning Charlton a cup victory.

3. 1998 Division One Play-Off Final vs. Sunderland:
   - Charlton faced Sunderland in the Division One (now Championship) Play-Off Final at Wembley. After a 4-4 draw in extra time, Charlton won 7-6 in a penalty shootout, securing promotion to the Premier League.

4. 2000 Division One Play-Off Final vs. Ipswich Town:
   - Charlton secured promotion to the Premier League for the second time in the 1999-2000 season. They defeated Ipswich Town 4-2 in a penalty shootout after a 4-4 draw in regular and extra time.

5. 2019 League One Play-Off Final vs. Sunderland:
   - Charlton faced Sunderland in the League One Play-Off Final at Wembley. After a 2-1 victory, Charlton secured promotion to the EFL Championship.

These matches showcase Charlton Athletic's success and resilience across different eras. Each has its own significance in the club's history, whether it's earning promotion, winning a cup, or achieving success in crucial playoff matches. 

(ChatGPT is rubbish sometimes, isn't it?) 

Comments

• Options
    One where we win?
  • Options
    The 4-4 with Ipswich last season was remarkable for the four extra time goals.
  • Options
    The most memorable thing about it for me was how long it took to get out of the car park on the coach afterwards.
  • Options
    Jesus that final at Wembley against Rovers was completely unremarkable 😩🫣😔🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Apart from Colin Walsh's winner, of course.

From memory I think it was a 45 yard piledriver.
  • Options
    The 5-4 win over Cardiff.
  • Options
    The West Ham 4-4 was some game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to be Uddersfield.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Doncaster play off semi final has to be up there

88th minute goal from Doncaster to send it to ET

Two goals in a couple of minutes in ET

Then the drama of penalties 

A packed stadium as well(still gutted I missed that had my ticket but had a massive fit the night before so wasn't able to go and had to settle for Sky Sport coverage 
  • Options
    For me it’s got to be Wembley 1998. A game I’ll never forget - until the dementia kicks in 
  • Options
    Clean sheet under Appleton. Has there been one? 
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Chizz said:
    There have been many remarkable football matches in Charlton Athletic's history, and opinions on the most remarkable match may vary among fans. One of the most iconic moments in Charlton's history is the 1947 FA Cup Final, often referred to as the "Matthews Final" after Blackpool's Stanley Matthews.

The FA Cup Final took place on April 26, 1947, at Wembley Stadium. Charlton Athletic faced off against Blackpool in what is considered one of the greatest FA Cup Finals of all time. The match ended in a 4-4 draw after extra time, leading to a replay.

In the replay held at Manchester United's Old Trafford on May 3, 1947, Blackpool won 4-2, with Stanley Matthews playing a pivotal role. This final is remembered for Matthews' outstanding performance and is often regarded as one of the most thrilling and memorable FA Cup Finals in history.

While this match is particularly noteworthy, Charlton Athletic has a rich history, and there may be other matches that fans consider equally remarkable based on personal preferences and the context of different eras in the club's history. 

That's interesting. Tell me about some more remarkable matches in which Charlton Athletic took part 

Charlton Athletic has a storied history with many memorable matches. Here are a few notable ones:

1. 1957 FA Cup Semi-Final Replay vs. Leeds United:
       - Charlton Athletic faced Leeds United in the FA Cup Semi-Final Replay. After a 2-2 draw in the initial match, Charlton won the replay 1-0. This victory secured their place in the FA Cup Final.

2. 1987 Full Members Cup Final vs. Blackburn Rovers:
       - Charlton reached the Full Members Cup Final in 1987 and defeated Blackburn Rovers 1-0 at Wembley Stadium. Colin Walsh scored the only goal of the match, earning Charlton a cup victory.

3. 1998 Division One Play-Off Final vs. Sunderland:
       - Charlton faced Sunderland in the Division One (now Championship) Play-Off Final at Wembley. After a 4-4 draw in extra time, Charlton won 7-6 in a penalty shootout, securing promotion to the Premier League.

4. 2000 Division One Play-Off Final vs. Ipswich Town:
       - Charlton secured promotion to the Premier League for the second time in the 1999-2000 season. They defeated Ipswich Town 4-2 in a penalty shootout after a 4-4 draw in regular and extra time.

- Charlton faced Sunderland in the League One Play-Off Final at Wembley. After a 2-1 victory, Charlton secured promotion to the EFL Championship.

These matches showcase Charlton Athletic's success and resilience across different eras. Each has its own significance in the club's history, whether it's earning promotion, winning a cup, or achieving success in crucial playoff matches. 

(ChatGPT is rubbish sometimes, isn't it?) 
    Wembley 1998, thought I was having a coronary at the time, way too much excitement and drama, still can’t believe we won it ,it was draining!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Errr ..... have people actually read the opening post?
    Yes the opinions of a machine

And this thread now also has opinions of real humans and Charlton Athletic fans on their most remarkable matches, not sure what the issue with that is
    Alright sweetheart, keep your hair on!
    ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Villa away in '99 had it's moments.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Coming back to hold United 3-3 was a special one. It was the game Giggs chipped onto the bar from the half way line and Solskjaer followed in on the rebound. Probably the best goal I've seen live.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was a great game at Selhurst against Watford, may have been 3-3 that sticks in the brain, the wonderful win away to Walsall in our promotion year, and a personal favorite 0-1 against Southampton at St Marys where we had been under the cosh for about 80 mins.
  • Options
    Sorry, already posted this on Chizz’s “Would have been their birthday today” but it’s one of my favourites:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Well before my time, but the huddersfield 7-6 match surely has to be number 1
    Exactly! 
  • Options
    Coming back to hold United 3-3 was a special one. It was the game Giggs chipped onto the bar from the half way line and Solskjaer followed in on the rebound. Probably the best goal I've seen live.
    We should have been out of sight by HT - Bartlett had a blinder on his debut, had about three chances to score.
  • Options
    Cheltenham at home in Dec 22 on a Friday night when we lost 1-0 with Alfie May capitalising on an a Craig MacGivillray mistake 
  • Options
    I can't wait to visit the CAFC museum to see all the 1987 Full Members Cup winners medals. I understand that every Charlton player that won on the day donated their medals in a magnanimous gesture.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Remarkable due to the fact that Carlton scored all three goals.
  • Options
    Very interesting thread as you say CAFC have been in lots of incredible games with large scores and turn around results.

My vote would have to go to the 7-6 Huddersfield match as the most remarkable but the game that meant the most to me would be the Sunderland play off.  

@Chizz Just for your info, think you will find the 1953 cup final Blackpool v Bolton was the Mathews final.    
  • Options
    Very interesting thread as you say CAFC have been in lots of incredible games with large scores and turn around results.

My vote would have to go to the 7-6 Huddersfield match as the most remarkable but the game that meant the most to me would be the Sunderland play off.  

@Chizz Just for your info, think you will find the 1953 cup final Blackpool v Bolton was the Mathews final.    
    Wait, what? You mean there was a mistake in the original post?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Errr ..... have people actually read the opening post?
    Yeah, what a load of old shit. I thought Chizz had lost his mind until I saw the final sentence. It just confirmed to me that I was right to ignore such 'artificial intelligence' and concentrate on what I knew.