Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's the most remarkable football match played by Charlton Athletic?

2»

Comments

• Options
    For me, coming back from 3-0 down at half time against AC Milan to win the Champions league final has to be right up there. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Well before my time, but the huddersfield 7-6 match surely has to be number 1
    Brian Clough always maintained that match involved a betting fix!
  • Options
    Game 4 is an amusing one, as it's managed to merge the 98 and 2000 playoff finals.

In the real 2000 playoff final, Ipswich beat Barnsley 4-2 in normal time!
  • Options
    The 1998 Play Off final surely. However as I watched only on TV I will go back to 1969 to a game I was at the Valley - beat Clough’s Derby County 2-0 and the great Ray Treacy scored an all time great Charlton goal. RIP Ray -also RIP Bob Curtis who played the ball through to him.
  • Options
    GeoffB said:
    The 1998 Play Off final surely. However as I watched only on TV I will go back to 1969 to a game I was at the Valley - beat Clough’s Derby County 2-0 and the great Ray Treacy scored an all time great Charlton goal. RIP Ray -also RIP Bob Curtis who played the ball through to him.
    Second goal was a yard offside... 

https://youtu.be/vcT0ZRwaYcA?si=4tnufKxYY6hMd5LX
  • Options
    Coming back to hold United 3-3 was a special one. It was the game Giggs chipped onto the bar from the half way line and Solskjaer followed in on the rebound. Probably the best goal I've seen live.
    Agree - I can still picture John Robinson who instead of celebrating scoring , yelled-'come on we can win this' (or words to that effect). The atmosphere and the noise was incredible that night.
  • Options
    1957 7-6

Wembley final 1998

Doncaster Play-off

Eastville 1975 5-5

The big one that nobody has mentioned is St Andrews v Leeds 1987
  • Options
    We have been involved in some remarkable games the 7-6 win after trailing 5-1.Then we are the only team to lose on the way to an FA cup final. Finally the Sunderland game when they scored all of our goals
    . That was remarkable. 
  • Options
    edited January 13
    Standing on the East terrace in the pouring rain - Charlton 6, Middlesborough 6. A kid's football heaven. BTW the end question is in brackets so I took it as an afterthought not the actual question. (99% of the post is about memorable matches and AI is not interesting at all!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4-3 win at Newcastle coming back from 3-0 down after half an hour. 
    The 1998 play off final.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Very interesting thread as you say CAFC have been in lots of incredible games with large scores and turn around results.

My vote would have to go to the 7-6 Huddersfield match as the most remarkable but the game that meant the most to me would be the Sunderland play off.  

@Chizz Just for your info, think you will find the 1953 cup final Blackpool v Bolton was the Mathews final.    
    Wait, what? You mean there was a mistake in the original post?
    I read it at face value that's all.
  • Options
    Well, two games rather than one but beating Plymouth 6-4 at home and losing 6-4 away to Argyle in consecutive games over Christmas was special.
  • Options
    edited January 14
    Good grief.

This is a good idea for a thread but in the future some people could be taking it seriously.

Makes you think doesn’t it?
    If Chat GPT researches the internet and arrives at this conclusion then why do people believe so firmly in The Bible and The Koran which were written during the first millenium AD?

Funny to think that if all books and videos were destroyed in a post apocalyptic world, the people of the future might discover Silicon Valley in an archaeological dig, and would believe that Charlton never won the FA Cup.