Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Today's press conference...

Comments

• Options
    Bizarre conference tbh will do absolutely nothing to change opinions - there’s only one direction of travel here - down 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Video of today’s press conference is on the OS

https://www.charltonafc.com/video/player/0_tx0zg0g0
    Must say he handled that interview well, and knows the score, and if we start winning and finish the season well, think he will still be here start of next season...we shall see how we go tomorrow eh...
  • Options
    simply has to win tomorrow night with a convincing performance or I'm sure he's gone, I suspect he's been told that too
    Be happy with miserable performance with 3 points 
  • Options
    Was that Press Conference meant to inspire us and the players?   It was laughable it was so bad.

Definitely P45 time.
  • Options
    WSA said:
    Was that Press Conference meant to inspire us and the players?   It was laughable it was so bad.

Definitely P45 time.
    Is it even worth watching?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 22
    seth plum said:
    I just watched the interview on Charlton TV. I would say it was gruelling for Michael Appleton but in his favour he saw it out. 

The thing that still gets me, because I am an actual long term Charlton Athletic fan, is the detachment he seems to show, and which I think extends to the ownership.

We had a lot of phrases like 'win games on a regular basis' 'any coach will tell you' 'getting on the grass is good therapy' 'I have been in the game a long time' 'I am honest or I face challenges or I know if results are bad what the football business is like'.

I think that is what the regime do, their version of paint by numbers entitled 'How To Do Football'.

Maybe it is sentimentality, but wouldn't a little bit of acknowledgement of context be admissible?

Appleton referenced Northampton Town more specifically than us, and as for acknowledgement that we exist out there as fans his only memorable reference was about bad (online?) stuff from fans being relayed to him.

As a manager he makes me think of the Cuckoo. Find a ready made nest to settle in and hope you don't get turfed out too soon, but never mind there will be another nest to drop into somewhere.

Does our specific football club, with particular history and with particular fans, mean anything to all these carpetbagger types?
    good and insightful post .. he appears not to care if he's managing CAFC or any other professional club, there is no 'passion' for us, it all seems a bit of an intellectual exercise.
    I might be on the wrong track here, however in the early 2000s Appleton was awarded over £1 Million in damages following a botched medical procedure that ended his playing career. I do wonder if this has led to his attitude being as 'laissez faire' as it is, win lose or draw is not THAT important, its the game that counts. 
    I do agree with him about managers such as Arteta and Guardiola leaping about during games, acting up for the cameras, BUT acting or not, they always  appear to be communicating with their players and giving the impression to fans that they are truly involved with what is happening on the pitch and trying to influence things, whereas Appleton gives the impression during games that he couldn't give a toss about the outcome.

Whatever, I am very disappointed though not surprised that he's not been sacked. As I have said a LOT before, the idea in the owner's minds must be to give him a chance to see how he goes with the new players. And while of course I want to see us back in a winning streak, IF that prolongs Appleton's tenure, that could well prove to be a mixed blessing. Strange times in the Valley
  • Options
    He's been gettin personals and indirects
  • Options
    edited January 22
    So Pep and Arteta are performing seals !

Even in the surreal world of Charlton Athletic I can only Believe that the ITK's didn't pick up on he has one last chance to get a good 100 minute performance or at lease fluke a win.

Another Turkey tomorrow evening and he will know what Andy Scott is going to say.

The only person I can remember being sacked straight after a press conference was Leroy Rosenior as there had been a take over at Torquay.
    That was Surreal as the press conference was about the fact Leroy had just been appointed and he lasted 10 minutes !

Football is bonkers.
    To be fair Pep and Arteta get on my tits sometimes.
    I mean, I like to see managers/coaches being pro-active on the touchline - taking the opportunity to pass instructions, bawl out a player not doing his job etc.
    But celebrating goals like 10 year old children  - ffs show a bit of dignity. Leave the excessive celebrations to the players

Yes I agree, I want a manager to be proactive in giving instructions but more Glen Hoddle with the hand movements( not the wanker sign) than going ape on every decision or goal like Pep and co. Also with Charlton after we score I want to see the coach point to his head with both fingers to get back in shape and concentrate and put in practise what the training drills were at Sparrows lane 

Apologies, I have started to expect the impossible.
  • Options
    WSA said:

Definitely P45 time.
    Is it even worth watching?

I believe it may be a repeat but TBF he turned up and fronted it out, now he has to deliver on the field which is always the hardest part for Cafc/ Managers over the last several seasons.
  • Options
    Of course he never walks away - he waits to get the sack and a pay off.
    Simples.........
  • Options
    Simples.........

Jose Mourinho taught everybody to sit tight, get sacked and receive the payoff, sooner or later. Jose has turned it into an art form.
    Most guys won't get anywhere near the "Special one's" package but it definitely is a lovely safety net to soften the blow to one's ego.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Simples.........
    You need to give your head a wobble if you think any manager would be any different.

Incredibly rarely is a manager just staying in role to wait for a payoff, they’re staying in role because they have competitive personalities and back themselves to get results.

The next one will be different, and the next one, and the next one, until the decision is taken out of your hands.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    So Pep and Arteta are performing seals !

Even in the surreal world of Charlton Athletic I can only Believe that the ITK's didn't pick up on he has one last chance to get a good 100 minute performance or at lease fluke a win.

Another Turkey tomorrow evening and he will know what Andy Scott is going to say.

The only person I can remember being sacked straight after a press conference was Leroy Rosenior as there had been a take over at Torquay.
    That was Surreal as the press conference was about the fact Leroy had just been appointed and he lasted 10 minutes !

Football is bonkers.
    To be fair Pep and Arteta get on my tits sometimes.
    I mean, I like to see managers/coaches being pro-active on the touchline - taking the opportunity to pass instructions, bawl out a player not doing his job etc.
    But celebrating goals like 10 year old children  - ffs show a bit of dignity. Leave the excessive celebrations to the players

Apologies, I have started to expert the impossible.
    Show off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I just watched the interview on Charlton TV. I would say it was gruelling for Michael Appleton but in his favour he saw it out. 

The thing that still gets me, because I am an actual long term Charlton Athletic fan, is the detachment he seems to show, and which I think extends to the ownership.

We had a lot of phrases like 'win games on a regular basis' 'any coach will tell you' 'getting on the grass is good therapy' 'I have been in the game a long time' 'I am honest or I face challenges or I know if results are bad what the football business is like'.

I think that is what the regime do, their version of paint by numbers entitled 'How To Do Football'.

Maybe it is sentimentality, but wouldn't a little bit of acknowledgement of context be admissible?

Appleton referenced Northampton Town more specifically than us, and as for acknowledgement that we exist out there as fans his only memorable reference was about bad (online?) stuff from fans being relayed to him.

As a manager he makes me think of the Cuckoo. Find a ready made nest to settle in and hope you don't get turfed out too soon, but never mind there will be another nest to drop into somewhere.

Does our specific football club, with particular history and with particular fans, mean anything to all these carpetbagger types?
    The nearest I can think of any previous manager is Andy Nelson, who was aloof and then criticised the fans, which he never recovered from, despite leading us to the second tier promised land!! 
  • Options
    I don’t think there was a press conference. 
  • Options
    Simples.........

Jose Mourinho taught everybody to sit tight, get sacked and receive the payoff, sooner or later. Jose has turned it into an art form.
    Most guys won't get anywhere near the "Special one's" package but it definitely is a lovely safety net to soften the blow to one's ego.
    Where’s Kenneth Williams when you need him?
  • Options
    Simples.........
    You need to give your head a wobble if you think any manager would be any different.

Incredibly rarely is a manager just staying in role to wait for a payoff, they’re staying in role because they have competitive personalities and back themselves to get results.

The next one will be different, and the next one, and the next one, until the decision is taken out of your hands.
    Would be great if Appleton could show us to be competitive
  • Options
    Reading the transcript it certainly gave the impression that Appleton knows that tomorrow is an all or nothing game for his career at Charlton. So at least he is being realistic. 
  • Options
    sm said:
    Reading the transcript it certainly gave the impression that Appleton knows that tomorrow is an all or nothing game for his career at Charlton. So at least he is being realistic. 
    I wonder if he'll risk all for a result like Holden did at Oxford?
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Simples.........

Somehow that got pass my double entendre filter 🧐
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Simples.........

...There you go...😉
  • Options
    Watching that interview made me feel uncomfortable on so many levels. 

Purely from a human perspective, how on earth do you deal with so many people so obviously wanting you out of a job?

How do you come back from something like this?Not just at Charlton but elsewhere in football.

It's obvious he isn't going to ever be accepted at Charlton, he isn't a Charlton type of manager/coach. This in itself shows the club management didn't think this appointment through properly.

The scattergun approach we have seen adopted by SE7 worries me, especially seeing as we have multiple detached owners.... how would they have the means to collectively get together to change the set up, especially when some of the SE7 appointments are in fact stakeholders. 

It's a scary scenario.

Finally, I almost feel the club have a duty of care to take this bloke out of the firing line, none of this can be good for his mental health.

• Options
    TEL said:
    Watching that interview made me feel uncomfortable on so many levels. 

Purely from a human perspective, how on earth do you deal with so many people so obviously wanting you out of a job? 

Come on. You should know by now they're a special part of the forum for people who want to discuss Rishi Sunak