Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flemings Press conference

Comments

• Options
    edited January 25
    TBF there's not much competition for greatest modern era managers and before Powell and Bow, Parkinson was probably the next to speak sense, then you go back to Curbs... So yeah after one interview, it had more of the feel of those than it did of Robinson or Appleton or Fraeye or Luzon or Dowie...

I'm not comparing the man's ability to manage to any of them! 

People are just saying it's refreshing. 

The man even says it's all words and the proof will be there on the pitch on Saturday. If that goes wrong, then cynicism can creep in, but being he's not the manager, surely he gets some kind of slack, just as Pearcey alone would have.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    As I said in the other thread, massive red flag for me within 5 mins claiming we aren't in a relegation fight
  • Options
    The club is desperately pushing Fleming and Pearce on Twitter today
  • Options
    I like him, I hope he does well
  • Options
    The club is desperately pushing Fleming and Pearce on Twitter today
    I'm not on x/twitter any clues ? thanks
  • Options
    The problem is he has the same players, little time and at this level some decent opposition coming up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good interview thought he came across really well refreshing to hear him talk sense no hyperbole 
  • Options
    A mate of mine was a phisyo at the scum (Palace) and he said to me he will be loved by the players and is a good assistant. Not sure he’s ready to be the manager yet.
  • Options
    He said words are 'beautiful' but it's actions that count.
    So let's see what happens at Blackpool.
  • Options
    First Charlton manager press conference I have watched for weeks and relieved I feel. Came over well and actually looking forward to Saturday now. Good luck Curtis and Jason. UTA.
  • Options
    Blah, blah blah. We have heard it all before. Next week someone else will be spouting the same old. Nothing can change until the club fundamentally changes from top to bottom.
    Unbelievable that there are so many happy clappy Charlton supporters who fall for it every time. Wake up. We are sleep walking into oblivion and it will be your fault. 
    If at all, fans are lowest in order of who's to blame for the Club's demise. What would you have us do? Post on here that it's the same old and we're not happy clappy. That going to save us from oblivion is it? 

Well I'm game and prepared to give it a try to see if it makes a difference . "It's the same old and I'm not happy clappy." There. Done my bit. Hope it helps us move onwards and upwards. Won't be my fault if we don't. 

I'm neither abjectly miserable or deliriously happy having listened to that Press Conference. Good luck to the caretaker and to our boys on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    sam3110 said:
    As I said in the other thread, massive red flag for me within 5 mins claiming we aren't in a relegation fight
    Got to keep morale up hasn't he? I thought his answer was a good one. It's basically still well within our hands. If the players perform to their apparent ability we should sail clear.

I know it's early ,but on very first impressions I think I'd have a go at running through a wall for him. Appleton could poke it. And I thought that from day one as well.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Speaks well, charming Irish accent, very modest and self-aware. 

No issues with him and Pearce until we get the main man for the job in. 

I will say however though, I think he isn't quite telling the truth about Appletons situation, he must have known Appleton was living life on the edge, so I don't believe him in saying it was a surprise.

Good luck though Fleming.
    He’s not been immersed in the Charlton universe like us on a forum dedicated to CAFC.

Just two weeks ago was that online fans meeting where Rodwell said unequivocally that Appleton wasn’t in danger of losing his job. 

Fleming said that when he took the job it was acknowledged that we’re on a bad run but we’ll get a couple of results and improve from there.

I genuinely believe that’s what the SMT were thinking at the time: get some reinforcements in, win a few games and we’ll be safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Softly spoken Irish accent has won a load over, which is a blessed relief to whiny Manc, but come on, he’s unlikely to be the answer, smacks me as a great number 2 to a tough number one 
    Harsh. Then again he is ex palace.
  • Options
    Like the sound of Curtis...he was a refreshing voice in the video with serious stuff sprinkled with a bit of light humour, as he said, "he is a track suited manager, that's what you will see..as he said, win a few games and he will get the Armani out"...😉
    Good luck Curtis for tomorrow and beyond, now the team just need to perform...👍
    But we’ve only just signed him!
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Each time we get a new manager people praise the first press conference, same happened with MA so it is just words and it all comes down to the games. 

I did think what he said about Bryan Robson was telling though...  "He wasn’t a brilliant coach, but what a man - what a man. You’d go to war for him..."

As a fan it's hard to tell but if Appleton was as cold with the players as he was the fans he missed the importance of this.  Fleming seems the sort who will at least get the effort up and the players caring again and if he can do that the talent is most definitely there imo.
    Forgive me AC, but I think it’s less about getting the players caring, as it is about getting the players confident, fired up and playing to a plan. Under Appleton they looked nervous and unsure of their roles. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    He said words are 'beautiful' but it's actions that count.
    So let's see what happens at Blackpool.
    Yes exactly. And if we lose it’ll all be down to him. 
  • Options
    Curtis was at Boro when Lennie was in charge and took them to the Prem in 1992. So a - somewhat tenuous- Charlton connection.
  • Options
    spoke really well, not sure what else people are expecting from him, he'll have had 2 days with the players to hopefully work on the back 4....IF we keep a clean sheet Saturday then that'll be a great start
  • Options
    spoke really well, not sure what else people are expecting from him, he'll have had 2 days with the players to hopefully work on the back 4....IF we keep a clean sheet Saturday then that'll be a great start
    Well could instruct the back 4 to stick to their man, rather than the “zonal” marking we have been deploying. Their second goal, we had 7 players in our box, but the goal scorer was free.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    I can see why from that interview that CF is a very competent number two. Easy manner and confidence in himself is evident. He’s 55 though and thus far has always been with exceptions for caretaker roles been second in command. I get the suspicion that he’s very good at it. Whatever happens in terms of the final choice as number one I hope he remains but I don’t see him as a possible candidate.
    I think you are seeing too much from one interview. He did a decent job of it and hopefully he will relax and sort out the fear in the players but I an going to judge that by the performances, not the interviews. If he starts us winning and playing well, surely he becomes a candidate unless we have Pep lined up! It is an if and everything is an if at the moment.