Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thierry Small - one year option triggered and longer deal under discussion (p11)

Comments

• Options
    If we think he's Championship quality and given our aspiration is promotion next season, it would be surprising if we'd offered him a longer term deal which didn't reflect that worth. Wouldn't offering a L1 level contract indicate a desire to see if we could flip him quick and cash in?
    From his perspective, why sign a L1 level (3 year) contract?  Surely better to wait out the 1 year option and see what other offers this summer and next summer bring in?

• Options
    there will be a lot of interest from quite a few clubs in signing such a very good young player .. pessimistically, I doubt he'll be with us next season .. REALLY REALLY hope that I am wrong  
    We have already said that if he won’t sign a long term deal we will just trigger the one year extension, he will be here next season.
  • Options
    If we think he's Championship quality and given our aspiration is promotion next season, it would be surprising if we'd offered him a longer term deal which didn't reflect that worth. Wouldn't offering a L1 level contract indicate a desire to see if we could flip him quick and cash in?
    From his perspective, why sign a L1 level (3 year) contract?  Surely better to wait out the 1 year option and see what other offers this summer and next summer bring in?

I imagine there would be a wage increase linked to promotion in there.
  • Options
    there will be a lot of interest from quite a few clubs in signing such a very good young player .. pessimistically, I doubt he'll be with us next season .. REALLY REALLY hope that I am wrong  
    We have already said that if he won’t sign a long term deal we will just trigger the one year extension, he will be here next season.
    Or sold 

but yeah, he has a minimum of a year left on his contract 
  • Options

I imagine there would be a wage increase linked to promotion in there.
    Oh yes, I'm sure you're right.......... I guess I was thinking if folks came in for him this summer and we only held the 1 year option it's not as strong a negotiating position as having him locked in for 3 years......... true, it's a bit of a risk if no-one comes in for him, in that we'd be paying higher wages than L1 would warrant for next season....... but then we'd have the upper hand in January or summer '25 if we had him under contract until say summer '27 and he/we wanted to part company.
  • Options
    A reminder of how and when he joined us and how far he’s come in 4 months to now be in a position where he’s reportedly got at least a couple of great options. If Nathan Jones has done that for him in just 4 months with a misfiring team then sticking around and being part of a team that Nathan has put together has probably got to be even more worthwhile 
  • Options
    edited May 11
    If he moves, he will have played for 7 clubs at the ripe old age of 19. 

Rare to spot a journeyman in such young years
  • Options
    edited May 15
    That was a given, now get the decent extension sorted, none of this fartin' about stuff..🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was a given, now get the decent extension sorted, none of this fartin' about stuff..🤷‍♂️
    I’m normally glass half full but I see this as he won’t sign for longer so we’ve triggered this to get a fee
    I think that might be the case .. unfortunately as he is one of the few class players we have a t m 
  • Options
    I’m normally glass half full but I see this as he won’t sign for longer so we’ve triggered this to get a fee
    He doesn't seem to stay anywhere for long to be fair, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that this suggests a poor or low offer on our part.

At least this way he's not going anywhere without at least us getting a fee and gives us time to hopefully convince him to sign for longer at a later stage. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    He doesn't seem to stay anywhere for long to be fair, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that this suggests a poor or low offer on our part.

At least this way he's not going anywhere without at least us getting a fee and gives us time to hopefully convince him to sign for longer at a later stage. 
    If he keeps on fartin' about with the clubs, the options of people willing to take him on will diminish rapidly, his reputation could come back to bite him where it hurts if he isn't seen as someone you could rely on...
  • Options
    If we were to go up, we would be in prime position to give him a new contract.
  • Options
    I would just say "he won't sign for longer yet." And it might be that he doesn't sign for longer, but I also would say that there has probably been a couple weeks' worth of negotiations, and just because he hasn't signed now doesn't mean he never will. 

He was on the youth books at Everton and then Southampton, and was an England youth international until a couple of years ago. The pedigree is there and he's only 19. After the half season he had with us, signing him to a longer term deal was always going to be a challenge. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Would we be entitled to compensation at the end of next season due to his age, or do they have to be academy products for that?
  • Options
    Scott - “Thierry will definitely be here next season".
    Everyone trusts Andy Scott, right? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good news
  • Options
    Good news
    I don’t think it is, means he’s likely turned down a longer term deal.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Good news
    One step at a time, could work out for both sides as a stop gap, and gives us time to get him sorted, no real rush at the moment is there…
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Good news
    One step at a time, could work out for both sides as a stop gap, and gives us time to get him sorted, no real rush at the moment is there…
    We’ll see, I feel like I’ve seen this film before though…
  • Options
    Suspect he's biding his time to see who else we sign
  • Options
    No doubt we'll sell him regardless of the contract.
  • Options
    Thierry is contracted for another year. He can’t skip out of that. I’m sure he and his agent feel that when this coming season ends they’ll be plenty of offers on the table to choose from including from us. That’s their risk in not signing what we’ve offered and it’s probably a good decision by them. For us it’s less clear. He walks for nothing and will need replacing at a cost or we can cash in perhaps in January to ease the pain. My guess is he’ll be sold for less than his real worth in January with a loan back until the seasons end. I think he’s a cracking player and will have plenty of suitors.