Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blue cards and Sin Bins trials successful

It looks like we may soon be seeing these introduced into at least The FA Cup. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/08/blue-cards-and-sin-bins-could-be-introduced-to-football-under-ifab-plans?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I’ve always liked the idea of Sin Bins but like VAR I don’t understand the way it’s going to be used.

Why introduce blue cards if two blues = a red? Why not just say that a yellow card means a visit to the Sin Bin? Why not keep yellow cards and make blue cards without a limit for any one player? Surely referees will be reluctant to give a second blue card just as they are now with a second yellow.

Comments

• Options
    So to get a blue card would be a bigger punishment than a yellow, or is this my muddled thinking.
  • Options
    Surely be easier to just introduce a sin bin option with a yellow (for descent for example). Can't see the point in bring in a new colour card
  • Options
    If its not broke, don't fix it.
    But it is broke. Extreme example but it affects games throughout the season.

Teams A & B are fighting for survival, penultimate game of the season team A are playing team C. Team C's star striker Smith is cautioned for a cynical foul, taking him over the limit so he is banned for their next game, which happens to be against team B. So Team B face a weakened team C in the last game - due to Smith's ban - all because of a transgression against team A, who gained zero advantage from his yellow card. If he had been sin binned instead, team A would have had the advantage for an offense committed against them rather than their relegation rivals, team B. 

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Surely be easier to just introduce a sin bin option with a yellow (for descent for example). Can't see the point in bring in a new colour card
    *insert your own "going down" joke here*  :D
  • Options
    This seems to get raised every two years, let’s see if it ever happens.
  • Options
    I like the idea of a sin bin for those offenses where a player stops a breakaway by pulling someone back, or any similar action.
    I have always thought that a yellow card was not enough of a deterrent.
    I suppose a blue card keeps the crowd instantly informed of the decision.
  • Options
    I like the idea of a sin bin for those offenses where a player stops a breakaway by pulling someone back, or any similar action.
    I have always thought that a yellow card was not enough of a deterrent.
    I suppose a blue card keeps the crowd instantly informed of the decision.
    good post .. Man Citeee (especially but they are not alone) have used this 'tactic' for years and virtually got away with it .. IF a blue then leads on to a red after another 'booking' then the suspension should  be longer than for 2 yellows but perhaps not so long as for a straight red .. with me so far ??  :*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 9
    Just give referees the respect they deserve. Stop the crowding and mobbing of refs by players and only allow the captain to approach and make representation. Any breach is a strait yellow. Apart from that change I would support I can’t see any need to add another card. Give refs the authority and respect in the same way we see in rugby and I think problems are solved. Shirt pulling is a foul. A cynical foul. Straight yellow. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    There seems to be no consideration as to how long ten minutes is.  

In rugby, a sin bin is used when a player transgresses and is required to leave the field for ten minutes' worth of playing time.  The match continues, but the clock only ticks down while the ball is in play - at the instruction of the referee.  So, if a player is injured, he stops the clock; and the player's sin bin time is stopped.  It only continues when the referee calls "time on".  

So, with IFAB's latest gimmick, the team with the depleted number of players is incentivised to dawdle, delay and run down the clock by doing anything other than actually playing football.  If your team loses a player for ten minutes, are you going to go hell for leather to score while he or she is off?  Or are you going to feign injuries that require treatment, with the clock running down on the player's sin bin time (while knowing that the time will be added on at the end of the half, when the player is off the field)?  

Here's an exaggerated example, to make the point.  A player is blue-carded after 80 minutes.  He should expect not to have any further impact on the game.  But, lo and behold, his team-mates suddenly fall foul of debilitating, temporary injuries.  Five times, the ref stops the game, each time for two minutes while the player is treated.  The blue carded player is allowed back on; the referee adds ten minutes additional time.  For the sake of IFAB's new "rule", we get to see ten minutes of am-dram, followed by ten minutes of 11 v 11; and an unpunished transgressor.  
    Great post Chizz! 
  • Options
    would there be multiple players in the Sin Bin, I could see Alfie May having to hold off the massed ranks of diving cheating teams, like Derby,  on his own. 

He probably would still score.
  • Options
    I just wished they would just leave the game as it is 
    It's getting beyond a joke now 
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Wellred said:
    I just wished they would just leave the game as it is 
    It's getting beyond a joke now 
    I am waiting for the "Multiball" option, 5 or 6 Balls on the pitch at once should liven things up.

Or how about goals that increase / decrease in size randomly!

Or " Introduce the Lion" that should ruffle up the defenses!

Or if you are caught diving you have to wear one of those old fashioned diving suits with the air hose.
  • Options
    I've watched sunday league games where sin bins have been in use, and it's been totally fine, helped with discipline on the pitch, and teams haven't massively banked up for the ten minutes to kill it. 
  • Options
    I think we should go full hog on it. Introduce time outs ( maximum 10 per team). Have red, yellow, blue green and pink ( for diving) cards. Sin bins and stocks for red cards. 
    LEAVE THE BEAUTIFUL GAME ALONE.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we should go full hog on it. Introduce time outs ( maximum 10 per team). Have red, yellow, blue green and pink ( for diving) cards. Sin bins and stocks for red cards. 
    And divide the game into quarters, so we can have more TV breaks to maximise revenues.
  • Options
    Controversial 
  • Options
    If it’s not broke, don't fix it.
    But it is broke. That Italian’s dragging back of Saka deserved more than just a yellow but it wasn’t a red. Blue would be perfect. 
  • Options
    Can someone put Chizz in charge of football please. 
  • Options
    I'm in favour. It's quite a penalty to have a player off the field for ten minutes - see rugby and hockey - and if it improves discipline and punishes cynical fouls, it surely can't be bad thing, can it? Likewise the suggestion that only the captain will be allowed to speak to the referee, again as in rugby. The one change I would really like to see, yet again used in rugby and hockey, is a stadium clock linked to the referee's whistle that stops automatically whenever there is a delay. Everyone will then know exactly how much time is left and there will be no holding up a board with 8 minutes on it - please note, it is never 8 mins 33 secs. The result will be an accurate measure of the length of the match. It may not end time-wasting tactics like taking the ball into the corner but it might prevent some of the more spurious examples.       
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Was my post about why I am not against it too complicated to understand? Only people are saying they are against it without taking into account what I have written. 

Do you not think it is fairer for the team sinned against to get the advantage right away, rather than another team a week later? If not, why not? 
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Was my post about why I am not against it too complicated to understand? Only people are saying they are against it without taking into account what I have written. 

Do you not think it is fairer for the team sinned against to get the advantage right away, rather than another team a week later? If not, why not? 
    Yes
    ;-)
  • Options
    If you want to improve discipline then make the punishments harsher. Red card for dangerous play six matches. Two yellows four matches. Mouthing off at ref. Straight yellow. Shirt pulling straight yellow. Give the refs more authority and support to book players. At present most seem reluctant to do so. If it takes a season of finishing games with nine a side then so be it. Players and managers will soon learn. I hate messing with the in play rules.
  • Options
    If its not broke, don't fix it.
    I tend to agree with this, but i wonder if people said the same back in 1970 when red and yellow cards were introduced?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Yes
    ;-)
    I even added the "if not why not", and still got yes'd...  :D