Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tuesday 13 February 24 | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited February 11 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City
Tuesday 13th February 2024 - Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
David Rock - previously officiated Charlton against Exeter City back in October in our 4-1 win at The Valley.

Introduction
Sitting outside the relegation zone on goal difference when the teams below us have games in hand, it's got about as bad as it could get, surely? Nathan Jones has one hell of a job on his hands with a group of players who have so far failed to show the care, effort, and fight needed in a battle against the drop. To make matters worse, our captain looks set to jet off to Hungary and our form continues to decline. However, on the flip side, we now have a manager who we can start to connect with and getting behind the team, in the way we did at Reading, is the only way we can help drag us out of this mess. That must start with the first game at home under Jones, and it's Lincoln City who travel to The Valley on Tuesday evening. On what is Shrove Tuesday, let's hope that it's the visitors that put in a flat performance that we can take advantage of...

Opposition
Stadium: Sincil Bank Stadium
Manager: Michael Skubala
Nickname(s): The Imps
Previous result: A 2-1 win at home to Fleetwood Town. Their line up was:
Jensen
Sorensen - O'Connor - Jackson - Roughan
McGrandles - Erhahon
Taylor - Bishop - Hackett-Fairchild
House

When we last played Lincoln, they had just beaten Fleetwood 1-0 away from home, and after completing the double against them on Saturday, the result moves them up to 10th. Michael Skubala took charge in of the Imps back in November, his first managerial job, and they're currently on a 5 game unbeaten run which includes two draws and clean sheets against Peterborough and Derby. In fact, Lincoln have kept more clean sheets since we played them in October than we have all season...

In the reverse fixture, Sorensen scored, as he did at the weekend, and was the best player on the pitch. The right back/wing-back will look to continue his fine form and hurt our fragile defence. There will be one forced change at least to the side who won at the weekend, Charlton loanee Conor McGrandles will have to watch from the stands, and will probably be looking for his current side to pick up the points as he's out of contract in the summer and has surely played his last game for the club.

Charlton Team News
So much has changed since we played Lincoln in October, we had been on a good run going into the reverse fixture, our xG for was positive but the goals against tally and xG against was letting us down. Now, we go in to the game at The Valley in horrific form, continue to concede for fun, and the goals for have dried up. Since our last win against Cheltenham, way back in November, we have scored 13 in 13 and conceded 23, picking up a grand total of 5 points. It's dire.

The team that started that game in October was the same as I predicted: Maynard-Brewer; Asiimwe, Hector, Jones, Thomas; Dobson, Fraser, T.Campbell, Blackett-Taylor; May, Leaburn. The team we put out on Tuesday night is likely to have 8 (EIGHT) changes with the only players starting being Jones, Thomas, and May. Since, we would have let 3 players leave, two are long term injuries, and the others are out of form and out of favour. 

Jones would have learnt a lot about his players, their character, and how they deal with pressure and I expect him to make some changes to reflect that and their performance levels. There could be a surprise or two included in the squad/starting XI and I think it could give the team and fans a boost. With Gillesphey coming off at half-time for Edmonds-Green, this might be one that continues to be the case. Camara made a return to the squad after 3 and half months out, and I think we could see another returnee to the squad after a similar amount of time away. Edun and Watson have really struggled at wing-back with performances on the decline for quite some time. Ramsay has played regularly and done well for Harrogate, and it might be time to bring him in. He's an attacking wing-back who is solid in 1v1 against his opponent, something that Watson struggles with, on both aspects. On the other side, Small's pace and power might help push the threat of Sorensen back but Edun knows the Danish full-back from his time at Lincoln so could be better suited to continue. We'll see...

Isted
REG - Jones - Thomas
Ramsay - Camara - Coventry - Small
L.Watson
May - Kanu

Maynard-Brewer, Gillesphey, Edun, Bakinson, Anderson, Ladapo, Aneke

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Lincoln City
May
Kanu

Prediction
Call me mental predicting a win, but in a game where the crowd is going to have to play its part, in Jones' first game in charge at The Valley, it could just, just, be a turning point in our season. Somehow we get the win and it doesn't matter how it comes, as long as it comes. Kanu to start ahead of Ladapo and the presence of Aneke on the bench is enough to come on and help us over the line. Edmonds-Green can play at right-centre back, covering Ramsay as he pushes forward and has the ability to move into the base of midfield to allow Camara to get closer to the attacking players. It's time to drag ourselves out of this mess.

Comments

• Options
    3-2 win to Charlton (wishful thinking)
  • Options
    I’m trying to find a sentence to post a comment but every sentence that forms in my head has the word ‘hope’ in it. As it’s early on in this thread, I’ll not follow @MrBurns’s bravery and keep my prediction to myself. I’ll let you know if I was right.
  • Options
    Isted
    Ramsay REG Jones Thomas Small
    L Watson Dobson Camara
    Kanu May

Anything less than the above is a joke.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Isted
    Ramsay REG Jones Thomas Small
    L Watson Dobson Camara
    Kanu May

Anything less than the above is a joke.
    I’m sure Jones will send out eleven players; we would struggle with ten or less
    We struggle with 11 anyway
  • Options
    Good summary. As much as I'd like it to be doable, I don't think we'll see Camara as a starter though. He's only got 11 minutes on the clock since coming back from injury, if he can do 20 mins this time out, I think we should be happy. 
  • Options
    1-1. Not enough to win this game unless a number of changes somehow inspires a performance. Desperate to feel the winning feeling after so long now. Hope rather than expectation.
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Can’t see small coming in and just starting sadly. Ramsay has at least played regularly so see that.
    we need a win not even a good performance and a draw.
    just a win and start creating chances.
    look at who is up for it and seems a threat (not to ourselves)
    If sticking with same formation I would go 
                      Isted 
           Reg Jones Thomas 
    ramsay                      Edun
                Cov  dobbo 
                   Camara 
               Kanu.      May 

then using ladapo, Aneke bakinson l.Watson when legs tire

gonna say 2-1 win still Coyr 
    Our 2nd top scorer mr (og) and May (Aneke assist)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 11
    Who knows?

Absolutely no confidence in these cloggers giving a shit!

1-1
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Good summary. As much as I'd like it to be doable, I don't think we'll see Camara as a starter though. He's only got 11 minutes on the clock since coming back from injury, if he can do 20 mins this time out, I think we should be happy. 
    good point BUT I am a believer in putting out the 'walking wounded' from the start and then replacing them if/when they metaphorically collapse after hopefully having done some damage to the opposition.. all too often bringing on a 'just fit' or 'not properly fit' player is done too late in a game to make a difference if/when we are behind and the oppos are way on top .. all a matter of judgement of course
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 11
    Lincoln looked very good last October. They really did outplay us. I do think changes need to be made, especially in our wing back positions. I like Sage’s team selection. Bring Aneke on for the last 20 minutes when they’re tiring. 

I predict we’ll win this one (we must some time, surely!).
  • Options
    Absolutely massive game. Arguably the most important for two or three years. Lose and we’re really in trouble; win, and it might just spark a revival. 
    I’m hoping Nathan changes formation, and the line up. 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    I might not be able to go and tbh, it's probably for the best. 

Lincoln battered us at their place earlier in the season, and it was the first time I realised our actual level, and had all my concerns confirmed in one night. 

They haven't lost in their last 5, winning 2 and drawing 3, notable 2 draws against Derby and Peterborough, 0-0. A total of 2 clean sheets in their last 5, they currently sit 9th for league away form, we sit 17th for home form. In our recent league 1 history we have only managed to beat them twice in 7 attempts, drawing one other time and losing the other 4, so another league 1 bogey side.. aka the whole league at this point. 

I think all in all, we will either lose or draw and I'm not expecting any signs of life till earliest March. 

I saw nothing different at Reading to make me think we can win this game, and I don't think we have the squad to beat a solid side like Lincoln who will come with a game plan. 

Head says 2-1 Lincoln, heart says 1-1. 
  • Options
    As they aren't fit enough to stat I'd love to see Camara, Taylor and Aneke on the bench. At lease 2 of them have the ability to be real game changers. If we can get to 75 mins at 0-0 and bring Camara and Aneke on we have a chance of winning
  • Options
    I think it'll end up being a draw, which won't be good enough. 
  • Options
    I keep having to learn new names. May not be such a bad pursuit moving forward.
    Charlton 3 Lincoln 2

• Options
    Must win game really, probably our most important of the season so far.

Fail to win this and with the next 3 games coming up after, we could well be heading into March cut adrift from 5th bottom.

Lincoln were in pretty poor form, 9 without a win and in danger of getting sucked into a relegation battle with us, but have addressed that by winning their last two and are now 10th, so i'm expecting a very tough game.

First goal will be vital here, if we score it'll give everyone a lift but if we go behind i can see heads dropping.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major said:
    If we win, what are the whiners going to do?
    If we lose what are the happy clappers going to do ?
  • Options
    I would keep to 3-5-2 and play the wing backs we signed in January to do that. Dobson and Coventry center with Camera in front of them. May and Kanu up top.
  • Options
    Possible the most important/stressful build up to team selection this Tuesday I can remember! 

If Jones gets it right and drafts in the right players there is a possiblity we may, just about, possible, potentially see a decent performance, and could dream of a win.
  • Options
    Keep a flat back 4, play 3 in midfield, 2 upfront and Alfie May with a free rein behind the front 2. Play Kanu and that big lad Mbick as the front line so we have a physical presence pushing Lincoln onto the back foot (definitely drop Ladapo to the bench and save him for later in the game when the opposition defence has been battered into submission). 
  • Options
    edited February 12
    I really hope we change formation Tuesday. 4231 would be my choice.. Yes, maybe lacking natural wingers.. As poor as he has been, I would be tempted to play Edun as a winger, and try and use his pace.
                   Istad
    Ramsey Reg Jones Gilesphey
           Dobson Coventry
                     Camara
    May                          Tayo
                    Kanu (If chucks can't start)

Let's face it May has been in effective when he has played up top, his best form and ours is when he is deeper.