Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Bolton Wanderers Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 17th February 2024 : KO 15:00

Well, today is a long trip up North for a very tricky meeting with Bolton Wanderers at the rather strangely named Toughsheet Community Stadium...

This could go either way, with some important players reported as (hopefully) missing in Santos & Charles, we could be playing them at just the right time, we just need to be at the top of our game and we could well come home with desperately needed points on the board...

Charlton have gone toe-to-toe with Bolton on 96 previous occasions with the Addicks winning 29, Wanderers 47 and the remaining 20 meetings ending all square, agree, not a great return, but today could be a good day...

In the reverse fixture back in October, Bolton claimed a 2-0 victory at The Valley with Williams and Charles both scoring in  the opening 21 minutes, high time we returned the favour...

Here we go...

Thierry Small will make his full debut this afternoon

Small joined the Addicks at the start of February and impressed for the club's U21s in midweek.

Conor Coventry and Tuesday’s goalscorer Freddie Ladapo also return to the line-up as Nathan Jones makes three changes from the team that drew with Lincoln City last time out.

Kayne Ramsay, who was substituted on Tuesday with a stiff hamstring, is not included in the squad and Tyreeq Bakinson misses out, while Alfie May moves to the bench.

It means the Addicks are expected to continue in a 3-5-2 formation with Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Lloyd Jones and Terell Thomas operating in a back three in front of goalkeeper Harry Isted.

Tennai Watson and Small will operate as wing-backs with skipper George Dobson, Coventry and Karoy Anderson playing as a midfield trio behind Daniel Kanu and Ladapo.

May is joined on the bench by Ashley Maynard Brewer, Macaulay Gillesphey, Tayo Edun, Panutche Camarà, Tyreece Campbell and Chuks Aneke.

Charlton: Isted; Edmonds-Green, Jones, Thomas; T.Watson, Dobson (c), Coventry, Anderson, Small; Kanu, Ladapo

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Gillesphey, Edun, Camará, Campbell, May, Aneke

Lose today, and we will need Cheltenham & Port Vale to end up all square to keep us out of the bottom 4...what a state we are in...

Welcome Thierry Small for your first team debut this afternoon...✅

Comments

• Options
    Feels like we have a lot more depth all of a sudden which is good. If somehow we can nick 4 points from these next 3 games I’ll be happy - though I think our run in will be tough lots of away games against teams fighting to stay up. 
  • Options
    Thierry Small is a big call for a game of this toughness. No Bakinson at all, while L Watson misses out as well. That's THREE loan midfielders not in the 18  :#
  • Options
    Just don’t see where the quality is going to come from, think far too much pressure is being put on Kanu, I think he’s a great prospect and I’m glad he’s here but can’t believe he’s starting ahead of May and Aneke
  • Options
    No Bakinson in an Attacking Role makes us automatically stronger. 

May on the bench is harsh but let's see how it pans out. Pace from the start might work without Santos bullying us.
  • Options
    edited February 17
    Bench looks reasonably good, with Alfie joining the impact subs line up with Camara and Chuks..this could be a good game...
  • Options
    Strange squad
  • Options
    Happy enough with that team, Bakinson had been terrible for the last two matches. 

Anderson was raw but played well on Tuesday so deserves to keep his place. 
  • Options
    Only change I would have made is camara for Anderson but guess camara is being eased back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Risky changes with May benched. Small is interesting and big game for a debut. Trust in NJ but can't say I am particularly confident. Hope Ladapo and Kanu strike up a quick understanding. Chuks to come on unless we are 4-0 up.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    May dropped to the bench, coming on to play alongside Aneke will be interesting.

Small in for his debut, he’s powerful and quick so will be interesting how he does. Says to me that Jones does not want Watson and Edun as wing backs starting together.

Bakinson drops out entirely with Coventry giving Dobson the extra support. Anderson as the 10.

Not saying he won’t contribute for the rest of the season, but it says a lot to me that Louie Watson has been left out again and struggled for game time under the coaching/management staff previously.

Sticking with my bold surprise prediction. The 3 points are coming back to London.
    Watson feels very much like Albie Morgan to me. Is out of the squad, gets some game time, kinda looks okay, gets in the first XI and then is basically dropped the next game - rinse and repeat. 

Overall personally I don’t really think he has been as good as people have made out, but then also don’t feel he has been so crap as to be completely binned off. But both Appleton and Jones have done that now.
  • Options
    edited February 17
    Wouldn't have benched May and don't think Anderson really deserves a starting place. But let's hope for the best.
  • Options
    More strength on the bench than the starting 11. 

The question still remains.....who's going to be creating the chances for the strikers to put away. And remember take the front 2 out (who have scored just 4) & the remaining players have 3 League goals between them this season. 

• Options
    Canters is in the house. Waiting for the stream. Grapes at the ready (ocado grapes this time - hoping they might be the lucky grapes!).
  • Options
    Certainly feels like we're hoping to keep them out before the subs can do some damage. Can't say I'm confident of that but 🤞
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Baffling line-up, it really is
    Not really. May is by far our least physical striker and this is a tough away game, not that surprising Jones wants more height and strength up front.

Sensible decision not to start Aneke and Camara’s also working his way back.

Small got to be worth a go with Edun not impressing.
    Depends on how the first half goes I guess, if Bolton are out of sight by the time that the “impact” subs are due to come on, then it was pointless (in more ways than one)
  • Options
    Glad Bakinson has been left out. Louie Watson not fancied by any manager now but now people are getting fitter you can’t pick everyone. Shame Ramsay misses out, not confident with Tennai playing there. Back three seems to be picking itself at the moment, after his performance against Derby I’m surprised Ness has missed out completely since. Midfield looks a bit ponderous with no creativity there. Aneke and May off the bench are good options to have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Timing of the subs could be crucial 
  • Options
    Happy with that also, Jones not afraid to make changes. Bakinson has been pants last two games. 

Anderson will do the running before Camara can come on, some decent options from the bench if we are STILL in it. 
  • Options
    Jones really doesn't like Edun does he? Another manager leaving Louie Watson out as well, they can't all be wrong I guess. The only one I am really not sure warrants a starting place is Anderson. I just don't and never have got the hype with him.
  • Options
    No Charles or Santos for then...we have a chance... especially if we hold them until Alfie, Pan and Chuks come on 
  • Options
    Jones really doesn't like Edun does he? Another manager leaving Louie Watson out as well, they can't all be wrong I guess. The only one I am really not sure warrants a starting place is Anderson. I just don't and never have got the hype with him.
    Agreed, yoof product is the reason why it’s not questioned more
  • Options
    I wouldn’t say there was a lot of hype surrounding Anderson and I’m certain Jones won’t be picking him for sentimental reasons. 
  • Options
    Glad Bakinson has been left out. Louie Watson not fancied by any manager now but now people are getting fitter you can’t pick everyone. Shame Ramsay misses out, not confident with Tennai playing there. Back three seems to be picking itself at the moment, after his performance against Derby I’m surprised Ness has missed out completely since. Midfield looks a bit ponderous with no creativity there. Aneke and May off the bench are good options to have.
    I was of the same view with Tennai Watson but I think he’s been pretty good in the last couple of games 
  • Options
    Nathan is at it once again changing team around. Who would have thought he would drop top scorer A. May. One of the new full backs out and another been dropped right in it.
    A&E on the bench and Ladapo starting.

Bolton 4-0 and no Charlton stars.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!