Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Portsmouth : Saturday 24th February 2024 : KO 15:00

So, here we are in the second of the trilogy of "biggun's" with the visit of Portsmouth to the hallowed turf...
After last Saturday's gutsy performance at Bolton, where I feel we were unlucky not to come away with three points, we shall need to come again with a game today which I think we can win and also need to win, we all know about the so called voodoo, and any help appreciated...

We've clashed on 113 previous occasions winning 40, Pompey 44 and the remaining 29 matches ending all square, the spoils were shared at Fratton Park back in November 2023 as Conor McGrandles scored a stoppage-time equaliser to claim a 2-2 draw, and surely no-one can forget the pathetic showing from their keeper "Near post Norris", playacting and time wasting, so now for the payback, no doubt The Covered End will give him a good old fashioned welcome...👍

Anyway, forget the curse stuff, we need a real Charlton showing today, so here we go...

Alfie May and Tyreeq Bakinson return to the starting line-up for this afternoon’s game against Portsmouth at The Valley.

Bakinson missed last weekend’s draw with Bolton Wanderers through illness and replaces Conor Coventry while May, who scored against Portsmouth at Fratton Park in November, comes back in for Freddie Ladapo.

It means the Addicks are expected to continue in a 3-5-2 formation with Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Lloyd Jones and Terell Thomas operating in a back three in front of goalkeeper Harry Isted.

Tennai Watson and Thierry Small will operate as wing-backs with skipper George Dobson, Bakinson and Karoy Anderson playing as a midfield trio behind May and Daniel Kanu.

Ladapo moves to the bench and is joined by Ashley Maynard Brewer, Macaulay Gillesphey, Tayo Edun, Panutche Camarà, Tyreece Campbell and Chuks Aneke.

Charlton: Isted; Edmonds-Green, Jones, Thomas; T.Watson, Dobson (c), Bakinson, Anderson, Small; May, Kanu

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Gillesphey, Edun, Camará, Campbell, Ladapo, Aneke

Welcome back into the starting line-up Alfie...Just make sure you shut up that bloody bell...😫

Comments

• Options
    Could we start today by getting Pack sent off as per...
  • Options
    He’s not a fan of Coventry is he.
    Probably be back for Tuesday 
  • Options
    Would imagine it’s a knock, started last game and played well
  • Options
    edited February 24
    I thought Coventry was meant to add quality to the CM spots! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Coventry was pretty much our best player last week, no chance he's just dropped for no reason
    I hope not. He hasn’t truly excelled yet but has looked better than Bakinson imo. Bakinson maybe looks a bit more likely to add a goal or two though.
  • Options
    Horses for courses, I would think. 

That's a very physical midfield centre 3 selected...probably picked to press and get in their faces.

• Options
    Don't rate Bakinson but team ok otherwise 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 24
    From Charlton life preview. Portsmouth fan said Portsmouth midfield strong so Nathan Jones put in a Charlton midfield to counteract. 🤞
  • Options
    Am i hearing right, sure Brownie sounded positive for our chances today and survival...🤔
  • Options
    vff said:
    From Charlton life preview. Portsmouth fan said Portsmouth midfield strong so Nathan Jones put in a Charlton midfield to counteract. 🤞
    Bakinson?
  • Options
    Hope Bakinson plays better than he did the last time I saw him. He seems to get a bit carried away and goes from his defensive position to making runs into the box. That's fine if then somebody can cover him like Anderson but it did leave us exposed in the middle with just Dobson there against Lincoln. 
  • Options
    I would hope Camara can now get 45 mins under him. 
  • Options
    edited February 24
    Kanu and May together will press but not sure that leaves enough energy to come off the bench up front if those two tire.

Don't rate Bakinson at all personally so I'm disappointed to see him start
  • Options
    I would hope we’re doing well enough not to need to bring anyone on at half time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bakinson was absolutely hopeless against Lincoln. Hopefully a blip, but it really was one of those showings where you can't see where the player in there is 
  • Options
    Nice and physical midfield three. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I would hope we’re doing well enough not to need to bring anyone on at half time.

Agree but don’t think that midfield will have enough quality to win….. if the starting midfield can hold out then we can bring on Camara and Aneke at half time.

With our away record as bad as it is and more away than not in March, 1 point isn’t really gonna be enough.
  • Options
    Quite a bit of Bakinson hate on here! I think he's made us a stronger and more energetic midfield. All 3 selected offer that, so hopefully we disrupt Portsmouth's usual play
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Coventry was pretty much our best player last week, no chance he's just dropped for no reason
    Not even sure he was our best midfielder last week, never mind best player 
  • Options
    I am watching and waiting 🤣
  • Options
    Playing Nathan Jones you’ve been gone too long…
  • Options
    Prolonged concussion is keeping him out.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Probably be back for Tuesday 
    Rotation..
  • Options
    edited February 24
    Fu*kin' hell, Pompey have started already..."Play up" etc etc etc etc...shut them up ffs Charlton...
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!