Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stan Bowles RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stan played against us 4 times once for Carlisle scored in a 1-1 draw.
    Twice for QPR scored in both league cup ties.
    Once for Orient Scored a penalty in a 1-1 draw. 4 games 4 goals three clubs.

Courtesy of Colin Cameron’s book.

RIP Legend.
  • Options
    Mentioned before that the FAC Stan Bowles penalty alongside Di Canio's are the best I have ever seen. He made Nicky Johns dive before he struck the ball and just rolled the ball in. I was spell bound by his genius even though he'd scored for the oppo.
  • Options
    Rip

Saw him play for Orient.
  • Options
    Was a great player, QPR was some team back in the 70s, and Stan was at the heart of it. 
    Always an entertainer, RIP Stan, thanks for the wonderful memories.
  • Options
    Great player, always admired his skills.  Was a great fit when he took over from Rodney Marsh.

• Options
    I was at the League Cup game at Loftus Road when Paddy Powell ripped apart the QPR and England left back, Ian Gillard.
    In the second half Stan Bowles took a knock to the head and was down for a while. But he got up and carried on with a bandage around his head.
    He headed the equaliser right at the end of the game and broke my heart.
    The Mirror headline the next day was "Stunner Stan". I don't think the article gave us one ounce of credit.
    Wonderful footballer. Wonderful memories. 
    RIP Stan.
  • Options
    edited February 25
    His book...Stan The Man....is an interesting/funny read. It's a cheap production and poorly edited but it's bloody funny in places. 

There's no self-pity at all in the book....Stan just took each day as it came and got on with it....as chaotic as it might have been. But come 3pm on a Saturday, he was 100% focused on the football. 

I was once standing by the flag at Brentford, when Stan scored direct from a corner v Swindon. He just turned round to us and shrugged his shoulders as if to say "what happened there?" 
  • Options
    A fantastic player. RIP
    Him, Frank Worthington and Rodney Marsh, exceptional talents in some ways, way ahead of their times. Such skilful talented entertainers. 
  • Options
    Sleep well Stan, you are rid of a terrible suffering.
  • Options
    RIP Stan, a fabulous footballer, and crowd pleaser. Probably drove all his managers nuts!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP to one of the great entertainers. 
  • Options
    RIP ..saw him playing for Carlisle against us back in the day ..what a player 
  • Options
    I can't be certain, but reckon I saw him play at The Valley 14/10/75.
    It was a league cup replay having drawn at Loftus Road.
    QPR were runners up in Division 1 the previous season and had a great team.
    Bowles, Gerry Francis, Dave Thomas, Givens, Clement was it Parkes in goal?
    They beat us 0-3, an evening game with a 30,000 crowd.
    I remember we could have walked back to Blackheath Standard quicker as the Charlton Road was gridlocked for about an hour.
    Biggest traffic jam I ever saw post match.

RIP Stan a truly magical player. 
    Yes, we saw him in that match. Excellent, entertaining player. RIP Stan.
  • Options

• Options
    Superb player RIP

I am always amazed when I watch programmes like ‘Big Match Revisited’ at the state of the pitches, but the likes of Marsh, Bowles, Worthington etc still produce amazing skill - imagine if they played on the many superb pitches that we have now - would be unplayable 
  • Options
    Fantastic player, one of those players worth the entrance money. 
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Quite sad, I remember him as a great player to watch. I must be honest and thought he had already died. I know he was suffereing from dementia from a few years back. He played for England and probably was deserving of more caps. I also remember him making a gesture towards his manager Dave Sexton as he was substituted once. It was on Match of the day revisited recently. Also he liked a bet. I recall a story that in the days when players were paid in brown envelopes, he would often lose it all instantly by betting what colour car would pass round the corner first. RIP to a great player and equally a great character.