Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading deducted another 2 points

Comments

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    "A group led by former Charlton Athletic director Leo Rifkind has now walked away from takeover talks in dismay at the decision to sell Bearwood Park."

Reading playing Cambridge this weekend is a big game for them, after that their run in is not simple and with the owner seemingly intent on destroying the club and any morale in the players they are still a relegation contender.

Have they any decent players left I wonder? It is possible to buy outside the window.

Any deals now would be a precontract for July. 

Also didn't expect to ever see Rifkinds name again linked to a takeover. 

Yep, like we did with Herman all those years ago.  TBF there are obviously lots of moving parts but our squad looks set well in terms of squad players for next season already and I am not convinced Reading have anything "elite" left, apart maybe from Azeez who is out of contract in the summer anyway.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    "A group led by former Charlton Athletic director Leo Rifkind has now walked away from takeover talks in dismay at the decision to sell Bearwood Park."

Reading playing Cambridge this weekend is a big game for them, after that their run in is not simple and with the owner seemingly intent on destroying the club and any morale in the players they are still a relegation contender.

Have they any decent players left I wonder? It is possible to buy outside the window.

Yep, like we did with Herman all those years ago.  TBF there are obviously lots of moving parts but our squad looks set well in terms of squad players for next season already and I am not convinced Reading have anything "elite" left, apart maybe from Azeez who is out of contract in the summer anyway.
    Azeez will go to the Championship on a free in the summer, I think he nearly joined Huddersfield in January but deal collapsed at the last minute on deadline day.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Sam Smith is still there, didn’t we almost sign him in the summer?
  • Options
    There is something fundamentally unfair though in a situation where the owner is dismembering the club, as he couldn't care less about points deduction, and the only people suffering are the fans.

It took Luton ages to recover from the relegation caused by the points deductions.
    What else can the EFL do? Not saying it's right or I disagree, but the EFL cannot do anything other than deduct points or transfer embargos. They don't have the power to force someone to sell the club or fund it properly.  
  • Options
    all this deducting and then reinstating points during the season is ridiculous .. IF a club is to be punished make it for the following season and make it a penalty that will REALLY hurt .. points should be won and lost on the field and NOT decided by a bunch of faceless bean counters  .. In this case even though Reading's 'misfortune' might help our fight against relegation, it is still very wrong and makes a mockery of match results and league tables .. STOP IT "!!
    Totally disagree with this.  You can't fine a club with no money so deducting points is the way to go.  Do it now so everybody knows where they stand.
    I agree the points deduction is the only sure way to penalize a club for financial infringements 9f the fair play rules. If you fine them and they cannot pay or the owner refuses to, then what do you do.
  • Options
    Was hoping they'd been deducted a further two points. Scummy club
  • Options
    Wycombe confirm they're trying to buy Reading's training ground: 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Reading training ground is on the wrong side of Reading for Wycombe, so quite a distance away. 

Feels a bit sneaky to be negotiating with the current Reading owner.
  • Options
    Would hope there would be a clause where Reading can purchase the land back for the same price + interest when the next owner comes along. 

Otherwise it's Wycombe benefitting from another club's demise like a vulture. I'm sure they'd see it as 'doing them a favour' when it's actually the complete opposite if it's a cut price sale. 
  • Options
    Would hope there would be a clause where Reading can purchase the land back for the same price + interest when the next owner comes along. 

Otherwise it's Wycombe benefitting from another club's demise like a vulture. I'm sure they'd see it as 'doing them a favour' when it's actually the complete opposite if it's a cut price sale. 
    No different from other clubs snapping up their players on the cheap in January
    Training ground feels a lot more difficult to rebuild though no? 

Like if Southall would've sold Sparrows Lane I wouldn't just liken that to selling a Jenkinson or Gomez for example. 
    True but still one club benefiting from another's demise.

And Southall couldnt have sold Sparrows Lane as he never owned it.

Roland still does.
  • Options
    edited March 14

Football, it's a business. If we were offered Crystal Palace's training ground on Copers Cope Rd for 50p, we'd be mad not to bite their fingers off. As much as i love Sparrows Lane, it's just down the road from were i live, Palace have cat 1 and significantly  better training facilities than us.
  • Options

It’s going to get sold whatever happens, at least this way it stays a football training ground. 
  • Options

It’s going to get sold whatever happens, at least this way it stays a football training ground. 
    But it's worth peanuts to anyone else. I imagine the land has some sort of green belt control over it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/14/reading-owner-dai-yongge-training-ground-sale-wycombe

Mikhail Lomtadze, a Georgian billionaire who resides in Kazakhstan, is believed to be an investor in Wycombe. 
  • Options

Some rumours about price and method of payment doing the rounds on twitter that don't have Wycombe coming out in a good light at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Some rumours about price and method of payment doing the rounds on twitter that don't have Wycombe coming out in a good light at all.
    And? 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

And? 
    Something about a cheaper price as long as it's paid into the owner's private bank account rather than Reading's account. 

Twitter rumours so take it with a pinch of salt. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

If true that would definitely change my opinion. 
  • Options
    Never been too keen on Wycombe after they got gifted a place in The Championship when they were midtable in League One when covid hit yet PPG saw them get a jammy place in the play offs which they did ultimately win but shouldn't have made in the first place. That didn't sit right with me then and seems they could now be gifted Reading's training ground too by the sounds of things. 
  • Options
    I think I've read Deducted 1 Point, is this the sequel?
  • Options
    At the end of the day, the Wycombe owners are doing whats best for their team.
    Is it any different from offering peanuts for a player, to a team who are in financial difficulty and need to get income in/wages off the board ?

Mad that Wycombe will be using a £50m training facility though.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

If true that would definitely change my opinion. 
    Yeah, same. As SELR says though, just twitter rumours currently!
  • Options
    It all depends who’s name is on the title - if it’s the reading fc holding company then the funds will have to at least pass through that account and cannot legally be paid directly to the owner, as the party to the contract would need to be the legal owner i.e the holding company. 

If it’s in the owners personal name then it can - but that would be odd. I’m sure HMRC would also be very interested if that’s the case as they’d certainly be due a large chunk of tax! 

As per Twitter comes up with these fanciful stories but realistically aren’t going to be the truth. 
  • Options
    edited March 16
    Never been too keen on Wycombe after they got gifted a place in The Championship when they were midtable in League One when covid hit yet PPG saw them get a jammy place in the play offs which they did ultimately win but shouldn't have made in the first place. That didn't sit right with me then and seems they could now be gifted Reading's training ground too by the sounds of things. 
    When the season was halted Wycombe were 8th having played 34 games with at least one game in hand on all 5 teams directly above them. They were level on points with 6th and only 1 point behind 3rd and so it was an incredibly tight division and would have been equally unfair whichever way it was decided by the EFL. 

Had Charlton missed out on the play offs in the same position as Wycombe, I'd have been pretty miffed.