Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Camara and Ladapo

Comments

• Options
    edited February 29
    RC_CAFC said:
    Ask again in 2 months. Far too early to tell. Camara isn't match fit yet.
    That there makes it a no imo. We have spent far too long signing injury prone players and paying the price for it. That needs to change going forward.
  • Options
    Don't think we need a Ladapo-type striker. 

Camara is tempting but it's a big risk. If there's another midfielder with a more hardy record, I'd hope we take that option.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Camara flew out.of the blocks at home to Orient. Got injured and hasn't looked the same since. He was all over the shop on Tuesday
    Suppose he needs a bit of a run.. but will he get one? So at the moment No

Ladapo I'm not sure. Hasn't looked fully fit and the games he came into were a real baptism of fire.I think he could be useful.
    But who am I to judge. I thought the same about Kirk!
    What you say about Camara is undoubtedly true, but I feel that first half just wasn't the right sort of game for him. I think he shines when he gets the ball at his feet. He has the knack of twisting and turning and coming out with the ball against what look like impossible odds. Tuesday's first half was more of a game of head tennis, which I don't sense he's really about at all. So I guess the answer to the opening question is that it my depend on what style of football we expect to be playing most next season or if there's a way that he can up his game to make the most of his talents. As has been said above, I trust Jones to make that call.
    Exactly 100% on Camara. Why did NJ pick him for a game where no football was to be played until after half time? I’m sure it’s part of NJ tactics to play goofball for  ans it takes to break the opponent’s Only reason I can see for PC to start is to spare other midfielders for future games. He was taken off at the time he should have come on fresh.
    Atm I’d say Camara is 50:50., for us but whether he wants to stay? Surely not.
    BTW I know needs must we have to get out of the trapdoor
  • Options
    As it stands a definite no from me on both. But let’s see how they do between now and the end of the season and then let NJ decide if he wants either or both back next season. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    On paper, you would sign them up. But for me, I'd be inclined to judge the minutes, fitness and injury record this season and not aim to make them perm in Summer. 

If we want a smaller squad, it needs to be a robust squad.

Your thoughts?
    I would wait till the end of the season and make up my mind then. If Camera and Ladapo can stay fit and improve the team then of course sign them up. I also feel its harsh to judge a striker when he rarely receives any service as we have no attacking midfieldes or wingers. May has clearly found it difficult too.
  • Options
    Ladapo no. I don't buy he's so unfit as to excuse having such little impact - he's not been injured, juts not starting regularly. His work rate was decent on Tuesday, but he hasn't really offered much threat and is being shown up a bit by Kanu. Camara, jury is out - if he can prover his fitness and show some good form between now and the end of the season then he might be worth signing.

Both of them have 11 games to make an impact and earn a deal.
  • Options
    I was initially excited by both signings and in terms of pedigree they are top end L1 players. Anderson and Kanu's recent performances possibly show that their positions are not necessarily the biggest gaps in the squad now.

I am in the wait and see group. Camara needs to demonstrate his fitness and show that he is the outstanding player who impressed us all when playing for Plymouth. Lapado showed against Lincoln that he can contribute at this level. Maybe he can be part of a four striker scenario with Kanu , Leaburn and May with Aneke as a wildcard fifth option. Lapado seemed to have a super sub role at Ipswich last year , so could he work alongside Chuks as a finisher? They would be quite a combination coming off the bench.
  • Options
    I love Camara, if he stays fit for the rest of the season then sign him up and give him a full preseason. Think he could be mustard for us, I just love the energy he brings and he seems a good character. 

Ladapo I have been slightly disappointed with, he’s clearly rusty which hasn’t helped. I’d be surprised if he’s here next season, with May, Aneke, Kanu and Leaburn spots in the front 2 will be congested even with Aneke’s injury record. No way we can have 4 strikers who would start for most teams in L1 + Kanu (who is improving every week) and keep them all happy 
  • Options
    Based on what I have seen so far;

Ladapo is a no. My Ipswich supporting friend described him as "big and slow". Early days but I have seen nothing to suggest we can't do better.

Camara has shown some quality but needs to stay fit and play very well. We have loads of CMs and others will be available in the summer.  With his injury record it is a punt. I would likely pass.
  • Options
    I think Ipswich jettisoned Ladapo for a few reasons (age, commitment, next league up a step too far etc). I’m seeing nothing to suggest that he has the commitment required to be a significant factor in what we hope is a promotion chasing squad next season. Camara looks a class above when he comes on for a short cameo but any time he’s started or played a significant chunk of time he disappoints. I’d give him the chance to impress for the next dozen games but I’d be surprised if we took a longer term punt given given his fitness record. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Camara is a definite no from me, we already have Aneke next season so adding another player that spends more time injured than not and probably on a good contract would be a bad move 

Ladapo I’m also not sure on, I think he’s proven at this level but he doesn’t offer what we need in a striker. Look at the transformation every game when Chuks comes on, we need a striker who can hold the ball up and play with his back to goal. We won’t find one as good as Aneke but we need someone who at least offers some of the same characteristics 

If we sold Leaburn then maybe Ladapo would be an option but if our options are going to be Kanu, May, Aneke, Leaburn and 1 other, then I’m not sure Ladapo is the best option for the 1 other 
    If we had Leaburn, May, Kanu and even a semi-fit Aneke we would not need a 5th striker
  • Options
    hezzla said:
    Southbank said:
    NabySarr said:
    Camara is a definite no from me, we already have Aneke next season so adding another player that spends more time injured than not and probably on a good contract would be a bad move 

Ladapo I’m also not sure on, I think he’s proven at this level but he doesn’t offer what we need in a striker. Look at the transformation every game when Chuks comes on, we need a striker who can hold the ball up and play with his back to goal. We won’t find one as good as Aneke but we need someone who at least offers some of the same characteristics 

If we sold Leaburn then maybe Ladapo would be an option but if our options are going to be Kanu, May, Aneke, Leaburn and 1 other, then I’m not sure Ladapo is the best option for the 1 other 
    If we had Leaburn, May, Kanu and even a semi-fit Aneke we would not need a 5th striker
    Love Chuks, but relying on him to be available for any significant part of the season is madness. And 3 strikers is not enough to press hard and rotate regularly, even assuming they’re all fit, not suspended etc.  We definitely need 4+ Chuks at a minimum. 
    The only thing I agreed with Appleton on is that we need durable players that can play 40 games a season.  Camara can’t do that.  
  • Options
    Both a no from me  I’m afraid the reasons why have been well documented above. We need hungry younger replacements for them.
  • Options
    I think Camara's style of play and abilities probably fit quite well into a Jones side, with his pace and athleticism being key and being able to drive forward with the ball.

Ladapo in contrast doesn't necessarily seem to bring much that May, Leaburn and Kanu couldn't also do so would seem less likely to fit into any future plans.

I think that both could potentially still be Charlton players next season if Jones likes what he sees in training but it's certainly not a given thing at this point of time.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    In decent teams they've looked good in the past 

In our bad team they've mostly looked... pretty bad 

A high tide raises all ships
       Loved the last line of Sam's comment.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    Humphreys and Joe Powell (strikers) and Sorenson and Herbie Kane (midfielders) are out of contract in the summer so are the sort of alternatives to these guys.
    Tyres Campbell also put of contract and played for Jones at Stoke I assume.
  • Options
    Don’t really know enough to judge whether either is worth hanging on to. Happy to leave that to Nathan Jones to decide. 
    Same with team selection and formation. Happy to sit back and watch things unfold. 
  • Options
    edited March 1
    I’d take Ladapo on another season loan if he’s still got a year to go on his Ipswich contract, and we don’t have to pay too much of it. He could be the best 3rd/4th choice in the division if cheap enough. May, Leaburn, Kanu, Ladapo and Aneke is just about right in terms of striker options at this level IMO.

Camara will depend on whether we think he’s over the worst of his injury troubles. He fits the profile of a Nathan Jones midfielder to a tee and I think NJ will want to keep at least one of him or Bakinson around to fill that lanky, full-of-running midfield type.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Ladapo
    Not sure what type of player people thought Ladapo was. Maybe his profile causes confusion and people think he’s more of a target man that has scored goals than anything else.

Fact is, when he done well at Rotherham he played alongside Michael Smith, a proper target man. He done well mainly coming off the bench for Ipswich, but they played very good football with lots of mobile players in forward positions.

He’s come here and got asked to play as a 9 with May but has done better when playing with Kanu as he can hold the ball a bit better. When Ladapo came on with Aneke and got his goal, he looked really good.

Ladapo isn’t a target man, he’s more of a Kanu type of striker but without the natural scoring ability DK has.

If we didn’t sign him, someone else would and play him in a front two with a bigger striker or a mobile team around him that played good football, and he’ll score goals at this level.

Both need to show that class and make a difference between now and the end of April. If they do manage to do that, I think Jones would look to sign both of them. If they don’t, we’ll look elsewhere. 
    I get you might need to play him with a target man to get the best out of him. I don’t accept that him not playing with a target man excuses not being able to trap a bag of cement. 
  • Options
    have been wondering whether ladapo's medical showed up some issues and hence why we went for a loan rather than a perm and why he's been a bit disappointing? should have taken the big man from port vale - if chucks gets injured, we're right up against it again, despite the general up turn  
  • Options
    Didn't someone say the Port Vale guy is injured for the rest of the season as well?
  • Options
    Didn't someone say the Port Vale guy is injured for the rest of the season as well?
    That happened after the move collapsing though. He was not injured at the time of interest.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    That happened after the move collapsing though. He was not injured at the time of interest.
    No doubt it was our medical that done it.

All part of the plan though, get a Port Vale striker injured in the process of trying to sign him, just to hurt their chances of survival either way :wink:
  • Options
    Both have a pedigree at our level that indicates they are worth persevering with. Camara lacking fitness and sharpness and Ladapo somewhat fitter but lacking game time. Both will over the coming weeks get to that required level and I think it’s then they should be judged. I suspect we’ll see a lot more from both before the seasons out. 
    This is the right answer.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    If he got injured somewhere else, you can guarantee he'd have got injured even quicker with us.
  • Options
    I bet that next time the get a game they’ll play better. NJ will see to that. 
  • Options
    My personal opinion is to say thanks but no thanks.
    The reason being that they are a bit of a block on the pathway for our own young players.
    I think if you bring new players in they must be markedly better than what we have, but I get the experience argument.
    To an extent (as one example) Tedic slowed the progress of Kanu.