Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFL

There may well be no interest here but I thought I'd set up a discussion for the second best football, ahead of the season starting on Thursday.

I discovered Aussie Rules Football a few years ago when I had a sick day off work and there was nothing on tv. It didn't take me long to get hooked.

Naturally I chose Carlton as my team, due to their naming similarity to the mighty addicks.

TNT has a great selection of games on every week, generally first thing in the morning and I'd really recommend giving it a go.

Any other fans?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 4
    Yep, my team is St Kilda. Spent 8 years in Melbourne and quickly got into the game (you basically have to have a team, as everyone else seems to have one). Of the 18 teams, 10 of them are from Melbourne (Geelong is an hour down the road though), but it really is religion in Victoria.
    i don’t follow it as closely anymore after moving to NZ, but I always watch the grand final and ANZAC Day clash along with a few St Kilda games.

At least you didn’t pick Collingwood as your team. They’re so easy to hate. Especially their fans.
  • Options
    edited March 4
    I first watched Aussie Rules when the newly-created Channel 4 started showing VFL highlights for the expats in the UK - this must have been 1983/1984? - and I've been watching it since.

My uncle and aunt emigrated to Perth, WA in the late 1980s so that fixed my team: West Coast.

I don't bother with TNT (BT Sport as was), I subscribe to the overseas AFL package meaning I get can watch all of the matches, Fox Footy and all their programmes. In fact I probably watch more AFL and WAFL on TV (via computer) than I do English football.
  • Options
    Hawthorn for me, as my BIL family are all supporters. 

If you get the chance have a look at the international rules on YouTube. Its a cross over of AFL and GAA.
  • Options
    My team is also Carlton due to the obvious. I get told i should a smaller club (with no history) instead, probably the same stuff a Man Utd supporting Aussie will get told.

Unlike here they franchise clubs out of Victoria and all 9 Melbourne teams play their games at the cities two biggest grounds. 😕
  • Options
    Hawthorn for me, as my BIL family are all supporters. 

If you get the chance have a look at the international rules on YouTube. Its a cross over of AFL and GAA.
    Isn't the game Amateur (GAA) v Professional so quite one sided?
  • Options
    There’s a bunch of Aussies, men and women, separately, play on Peckham Rye on Saturday. 
  • Options
    My team is also Carlton due to the obvious. I get told i should a smaller club (with no history) instead, probably the same stuff a Man Utd supporting Aussie will get told.

Unlike here they franchise clubs out of Victoria and all 9 Melbourne teams play their games at the cities two biggest grounds. 😕
    To be fair Carlton have almost mirrored Charlton in the last 20 years or so in that it's been one of the worst periods in their history. Last season was much better though, fingers crossed it carries onto the next.
  • Options
    Will take a look at the overseas package, is it a reasonable price? TNT/BT coverage can cut out a fair lot and annoyingly they scrapped their highlights show last season. 

I really like the AFL Guernseys as well - some of the indigenous ones are stunning. Just a shame I can't pull off a vest top. 
  • Options
    I went and saw Collingwood play at the MCG back in 1995. I was invited by an old London work colleague who was a fan. The match was violent as I remember it. The MCG was packed out so it was a great experience.

It’s true that Melbourne is red hot for Aussie Rules teams but I also remember that there is a vibrant proper football scene. The clubs are mainly supported by (descendants of) Greek and Italian immigrants. I took in a game of that too.
  • Options
    edited March 4
    I went and saw Collingwood play at the MCG back in 1995. I was invited by an old London work colleague who was a fan. The match was violent as I remember it. The MCG was packed out so it was a great experience.

It’s true that Melbourne is red hot for Aussie Rules teams but I also remember that there is a vibrant proper football scene. The clubs are mainly supported by (descendants of) Greek and Italian immigrants. I took in a game of that too.
    My Son in Law is paying for St Albans Dinamo in the Victoria Premier League. They are based in Melbourne. They have just played their 4th game. All games are live on YouTube. They are owned by Croatians like half the teams based in Melbourne it seems.

We're going out to see our daughter and son in law in 4 weeks so will get to see 7 games. Also looking to get to an Aussie rules game, an A league game and a rugby league game. Can't wait :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    follett said:
    Will take a look at the overseas package, is it a reasonable price? TNT/BT coverage can cut out a fair lot and annoyingly they scrapped their highlights show last season. 

I really like the AFL Guernseys as well - some of the indigenous ones are stunning. Just a shame I can't pull off a vest top. 
    Last year the annual charge was about £140 (there are monthly and weekly options available). This gives you access to all matches across the AFL and AFLW, both live and on demand, plus things like the Brownlow Medal count, U18 national championships etc.

The great thing about watching a match live is that you can pause the action, rewind (and then fast forward) and if the match has already started when you want to watch it you normally have the option to watch from the start so you don't miss anything (and then you can FF through the ad breaks). It's all Fox Footy's broadcast so even if it's a match covered by Channel Seven you get the Fox Footy presentation with their analysis ... and no ad breaks during play.

You also get access to the Fox Footy channel 24/7 and all its news, analysis and entertainment programmes ('Bounce' after the final game on a Sunday, hosted by Jason "Chief" Dunstall is quite funny).

• Options

The clubs outside of Victoria are franchised (West Coast and the Brisbane Bears were the first "out of state" sides created, basically because the old VFL was broke) but Geelong and the nine Melburnian sides are all proper, historical clubs. They all had their own home grounds (Melbourne always played at the MCG) but over the years they moved away from their old suburban grounds to the bigger capacity G and Docklands Stadium, although a lot of them use their old grounds for training, the twos (most Victorian AFL reserve sides now play in the VFL) and the women's teams.
  • Options
    I first watched Aussie Rules when the newly-created Channel 4 started showing VFL highlights for the expats in the UK - this must have been 1983/1984? - and I've been watching it since.

My uncle and aunt emigrated to Perth, WA in the late 1980s so that fixed my team: West Coast.

I don't bother with TNT (BT Sport as was), I subscribe to the overseas AFL package meaning I get can watch all of the matches, Fox Footy and all their programmes. In fact I probably watch more AFL and WAFL on TV (via computer) than I do English football.
    Yeah I used to watch this too back in the day.
    I chose St Kilda as 'my team' just because I liked their jersey.

occasionally watch on TNT if I am flicking around channels and see it is on.

Find there are a lot of blow out games though
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Yeah I used to watch this too back in the day.
    I chose St Kilda as 'my team' just because I liked their jersey.

occasionally watch on TNT if I am flicking around channels and see it is on.

Find there are a lot of blow out games though
    Last year my team tended to be on the receiving end of them :(

For the last couple of years West Coast has been twinned with Charlton on the injury front :(
  • Options
    There’s a bunch of Aussies, men and women, separately, play on Peckham Rye on Saturday. 
    There has been a British league for many years. I played for the Wimbledon hawks in the mid 90’s when studying in the area. Got chatting to a bunch of Aussies in the bar I worked in at the time and when they heard I had played rugby I got convinced to try it out. I enjoyed it for a couple of season and had a great few laughs on post match nights out
  • Options
    follett said:

Last year the annual charge was about £140 (there are monthly and weekly options available). This gives you access to all matches across the AFL and AFLW, both live and on demand, plus things like the Brownlow Medal count, U18 national championships etc.

The great thing about watching a match live is that you can pause the action, rewind (and then fast forward) and if the match has already started when you want to watch it you normally have the option to watch from the start so you don't miss anything (and then you can FF through the ad breaks). It's all Fox Footy's broadcast so even if it's a match covered by Channel Seven you get the Fox Footy presentation with their analysis ... and no ad breaks during play.

You also get access to the Fox Footy channel 24/7 and all its news, analysis and entertainment programmes ('Bounce' after the final game on a Sunday, hosted by Jason "Chief" Dunstall is quite funny).

Yeah this is extra handy, especially for those 4am games.
  • Options
    The 2024 AFL season gets underway tomorrow at 8:30am GMT with an Opening Round of four matches showcasing the Queensland and NSW sides including re-matches of last year's Preliminary Finals and a triple-Premiership coach taking charge of his new side for the first time ... against his former club where he won those flags.

Thu 7 Mar: Sydney v Melbourne, SCG 8:30am GMT
    Fri 8 Mar: Brisbane v Carlton, Gabba 8:40am GMT
    Sat 9 Mar: Gold Coast v Richmond, Carrara Stadium 5:20am GMT
    Sat 9 Mar: GWS v Collingwood, Sydney Showground Stadium 8:30am GMT

The first match is possibly the dullest of the four without the back-stories of the other three although this is the first season for Sydney post-Buddy Franklin and there's probably a bit of interest in the Demon's Clayton Oliver after his problems towards the end of last season and in the off-season.

Brisbane/Carlton is a re-run of the Second Prelim Final from last year and the Lions won't just start this match as favourites but probably favourites for the flag.

Damian Hardwick leads his new Gold Coast side for the first time in an official match and comes up against the club he stepped away from in the middle of last season. Expectations will be high on the Suns making the Finals for the first time in their history but they'll probably find a way to butcher it later in the season.

Finally, it's GWS against last year's Premiers, Collingwood. The Giants will be looking for revenge over their one-point defeat at the MCG in the First Prelim Final and with home advantage this time they should manage that.

I expect that the Victorian sides will return to Melbourne with no wins between them.

Next week all the other clubs join in with a full round of nine matches starting on Thursday.
  • Options
    follett said:
    There may well be no interest here but I thought I'd set up a discussion for the second best football, ahead of the season starting on Thursday.

I discovered Aussie Rules Football a few years ago when I had a sick day off work and there was nothing on tv. It didn't take me long to get hooked.

Naturally I chose Carlton as my team, due to their naming similarity to the mighty addicks.

TNT has a great selection of games on every week, generally first thing in the morning and I'd really recommend giving it a go.

Any other fans?
    When our family emigrated to Australia in 1963, my aunts boyfriend introduced me to Aussie rules. When he found out I was a Charlton supporter he reckoned I should support South Melbourne as they were red and white. I asked him the names of other teams and when he mentioned Carlton, to me it was a apt to follow them. There performances in recent years have mirrored Charlton. Been poor but once a fan always a fan. South Melbourne ended up in Sydney as the Sydney Swans.
  • Options
    edited March 7
    Haven't been able to concentrate too much on it due to a busy work morning but the opening game looks like a real tight contest. Edit: huge jinx, Swans ran away with it in the 4th
  • Options
    Crazy game at the Gabba. Carlton have clawed back a deficit of 46 to take the lead in the third. Still a twist to come in this game I'm sure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carlton won by a point. First win at Gabba since 2013. And ended 14 home wins in a row by Brisbane.
  • Options
    Outrageous.

Brisbane should have closed the door on the Blues well before the end, they missed too many straightforward shots at goal.
  • Options
    Great game and great way to start Friday. Double Carlton and Charlton winning weekend inbound
  • Options
    After the Opening Round in the northern states last week football returns to Melbourne this week in Round 1.

Thu 14 Mar
    Carlton v Richmond, MCG  8:30am

Fri 15 Mar
    Collingwood v Sydney, MCG  8:40am

Sat 16 Mar
    Essendon v Hawthorn, MCG  2:45am
    GWS v North Melbourne, Sydney Showground Stadium  5:35am
    Geelong v St Kilda, Kardinia Park  8:30am
    Gold Coast v Adelaide, Carrara Stadium  9:10am

Sun 17 Mar
    Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, MCG  2:00am
    Port Adelaide v West Coast, Adelaide Oval  5:00am
    Fremantle v Brisbane, Perth Stadium  7:50am

If West Coast can come away with anything less than a 10-goal drubbing I'll be happy.

Looking forward to seeing Richmond get a flogging tomorrow at the hands of the Blues (not that I have any love for Carlton) and Brodie Grundy tear his old club a new one on Friday hopefully helping Sydney start the season with two wins and the reigning Premiers starting with two disastrous losses.
  • Options
    6 wins in a row for Carlton with a winning margin less than 6, never do it easy!
  • Options
    Cats for me .  I saw them beat Hawthorn in the last minute in the MCG and have followed them ever since 
  • Options
    Yes I follow AFL. My son and family live in Melbourne. He supports Melbourne Demons. I support the Western Bulldogs partly to irritate my son and partly because although they play home games in the city they are based west of the city in Footscray. Near enough to my old home at Mottingham. The Bulldogs supporters are known for being a tough lot sometimes compared to Millwall's so I amused myself by adopting that team. Demons and Bulldogs play this Sunday - will follow the game online.
  • Options
    This week the AFL has decamped to South Australia for "Gather Round" - all Round 4 matches are taking place in Adelaide.

Thu 4 Apr
    Adelaide (15th 0-3) v Melbourne (3rd 3-1), Adelaide Oval  9:30am

Fri 5 Apr
    Brisbane (14th 0-3) v North Melbourne (16th 0-3), Norwood Oval  7:10am
    Port Adelaide (8th 2-1) v Essendon (9th 2-1), Adelaide Oval  10:10am

Sat 6 Apr
    West Coast (18th 0-3) v Sydney (5th 3-1), Mount Barker, Adelaide Hills  3:30am
    Fremantle (2nd 3-0) v Carlton (6th 3-0), Adelaide Oval  6:20am
    Western Bulldogs (7th 2-1) v Geelong (4th 3-0), Adelaide Oval  10:10am

Sun 7 Apr
    Gold Coast (10th 2-1) v GWS (1st 3-0), Mount Barker, Adelaide Hills  3:30am
    Richmond (13th 1-3) v St Kilda (11th 1-2), Norwood Oval  6:20am
    Collingwood (12th 1-3) v Hawthorn (17th 0-3), Adelaide Oval  8:10am

Adelaide hasn't won a game yet this season but I'm hoping they'll kick-start their campaign against the Dees.

West Coast also hasn't won a game this season ... they haven't even won a quarter yet and they lost this game last year against the Swans by a record 171 points. Ouch. I'm expecting the Eagles to get absolutely flogged but please, please, please keep it under 100 points this week!
  • Options
    Used to watch it back in the 80's. Somebody said to me that it was like American football but with the only protection being a light covering in bruises !. Watched a grand final once where the entire teams got involved is a massive punch up at the start. Also one of them, unfortunately can't remember his name was getting dogs abuse from the stand. He jumped the barrier and lumped this gezzer so hard he flew over backwards flashing the soles of his shoes in the process. Player had a massive moustache if I remember correctly. Anybody knows who this might have been?.
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Used to watch it back in the 80's. Somebody said to me that it was like American football but with the only protection being a light covering in bruises !. Watched a grand final once where the entire teams got involved is a massive punch up at the start. Also one of them, unfortunately can't remember his name was getting dogs abuse from the stand. He jumped the barrier and lumped this gezzer so hard he flew over backwards flashing the soles of his shoes in the process. Player had a massive moustache if I remember correctly. Anybody knows who this might have been?.
    That Grand Final sounds like 1989, Hawthorn v Geelong, which was one of the best I've seen (although the four West Coast wins top that :wink:). The Hawks' CHF Dermott Brereton was cleaned up at the opening bounce (resulting in broken ribs and internal bleeding) and that sparked, ahem, "wild scenes" as everyone piled in.

Hawthorn's Robert DiPierdominico ("Dipper") ended with broken ribs, bruised kidney and a punctured lung - not that he knew he had a punctured lung until after the game. Dipper was one of those players with a massive 'tache and was just the sort of bloke who'd carry on like that with the crowd!