Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFL

2»

Comments

• Options
    red10 said:
    Used to watch it back in the 80's. Somebody said to me that it was like American football but with the only protection being a light covering in bruises !. Watched a grand final once where the entire teams got involved is a massive punch up at the start. Also one of them, unfortunately can't remember his name was getting dogs abuse from the stand. He jumped the barrier and lumped this gezzer so hard he flew over backwards flashing the soles of his shoes in the process. Player had a massive moustache if I remember correctly. Anybody knows who this might have been?.
    That Grand Final sounds like 1989, Hawthorn v Geelong, which was one of the best I've seen (although the four West Coast wins top that :wink:). The Hawks' CHF Dermott Brereton was cleaned up at the opening bounce (resulting in broken ribs and internal bleeding) and that sparked, ahem, "wild scenes" as everyone piled in.

Hawthorn's Robert DiPierdominico ("Dipper") ended with broken ribs, bruised kidney and a punctured lung - not that he knew he had a punctured lung until after the game. Dipper was one of those players with a massive 'tache and was just the sort of bloke who'd carry on like that with the crowd!

Dipper, thats the fella. Hard as nails. Thanks.
  • Options
    Round 5 of the 2024 season begins on Thursday morning when the Demons and Lions face off at the 'G. At this stage there are still 7 sides with 100% records: GWS, Carlton and Geelong have won every game; Adelaide, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and West Coast have lost every match (although West Coast can take some pride in winning their first quarter of the season against the Swannies last week in a closer-than-expected loss, only 26 points, and still had a sniff in the final term).

Collingwood and Sydney have the week off so only eight matches are being played this weekend.

Thu 11 Apr
    Melbourne (2nd, 4-1) v Brisbane (13th, 1-4)  MCG, 10:30am

Fri 12 Apr
    Western Bulldogs (8th, 2-2) v Essendon (12th, 2-2)  Docklands, 10:40am

Sat 13 Apr
    GWS (1st, 4-0) v St Kilda (9th, 2-2)  Manuka Oval, 4:45am
    Carlton (4th, 4-1) v Adelaide (15th, 0-4)  Docklands, 7:35am
    Gold Coast (10th, 2-2) v Hawthorn (16th, 0-4), Carrara Stadium, 10:30am
    Port Adelaide (6th, 3-1) v Fremantle (7th, (3-1)  Adelaide Oval, 10:30am

Sun 14 Apr
    Geelong (5th, 4-0) v North Melbourne (17th, 0-4)  Kardinia Park, 4:00am
    West Coast (18th, 0-4) v Richmond (14th, 1-4)  Perth Stadium, 7:00am

I've picked Richmond but, as always when tipping against the Eagles, I'm hoping I'm wrong. It should be one of the closer games that WC have had over the last year or two and they're an outside chance of an upset ... especially if they can actually kick the ball to a blue-and-gold guernsey instead of giving the ball to the Tiggers in dangerous areas.
  • Options
    Last week saw one club lose its first match of the season (Carlton) whilst a couple won their first game (Adelaide and the mighty West Coast - yay! :smiley:). The end of this week's fixtures will see only one winless team left in the comp (unless there is the rarity of a draw) as North takes on the Hawks who are 0-5 for the first time in over 50 years.

Round 6 fixtures

Thu 18 Apr
    St Kilda (12th, 2-3) v Western Bulldogs (11th, 2-3)  MCG, 10:30am

Fri 19 Apr
    Adelaide (14th, 1-4) v Essendon (9th, 3-2)  Adelaide Oval, 10:40am

Sat 20 Apr
    Collingwood (13th, 2-3) v Port Adelaide (3rd, 4-1)  MCG, 4:45am
    Carlton (6th, 4-1) v GWS (1st, 5-0)  Docklands, 7:35am
    Brisbane (10th, 2-3) v Geelong (2nd, 5-0)  Gabba, 10:30am
    West Coast (16th, 1-4) v Fremantle (7th, 3-2)  Perth Stadium, 11:10am

Sun 21 Apr
    Sydney (4th, 4-1) v Gold Coast (8th, 3-2)  SCG, 4:05am
    North Melbourne (18th, 0-5) v Hawthorn (17th, 0-5)  Docklands, 7:05am

Melbourne and Richmond have a bye this week and return to action against each other next Wednesday to start ANZAC Round with their now-traditional ANZAC Eve clash.
  • Options
    Another tough game for Carlton. Last week was a bit unlucky but for a while now we have been scraping by with single digit wins. Been lucky that most have ended up in our favour but if we can't establish good leads in games we are always vulnerable
  • Options
    edited April 23
    With all teams having played six matches there are now only two clubs with a 100% record: Geelong (six wins) and North Melbourne (six defeats). West Coast had a massive Western Derby victory over Freo (and would have been even bigger if the Eagles hadn't put the cue in the rack in the final term) which was quite amazing to watch with the No 1 pick in last year's draft, West Coast's Harley Reid, putting in a Chris Judd-esque performance in just his 6th game of AFL football, taking a Mark of the Year contender to go with his Rising Star nomination last week. My tipping left a bit to be desired with the first six matches of the last round being wrong before redeeming myself with the last two.

It's now Round Seven: ANZAC Round.

Proceedings kick off on Wednesday morning with the Tigers and Demons before the main game of the round on ANZAC Day itself, Essendon v Collingwood. Both of those will probably be played in front of 90,000+ crowds.

Wed 24 Apr
    Richmond (16th, 1-5) v Melbourne (6th, 4-2)  MCG, 10:25am

Thu 25 Apr
    Essendon (7th, 4-2) v Collingwood (10th, 3-3)  MCG, 6:20am
    GWS (3rd, 5-1) v Brisbane (12th, 2-4)  Manuka Oval, 10:35am

Fri 26 Apr
    Port Adelaide (5th, 4-2) v St Kilda (13th, 2-4)  Adelaide Oval, 10:40am

Sat 27 Apr
    North Melbourne (18th, 0-6) v Adelaide (15th, 1-5)  Bellerive Oval, 4:45am
    Geelong (1st, 6-0) v Carlton (4th, 5-1)  MCG, 7:35am
    Fremantle (9th, 3-3) v Western Bulldogs (8th, 3-3)  Perth Stadium, 10:40am

Sun 28 Apr
    Gold Coast (11th, 3-3) v West Coast (14th Nosebleed territory! 2-4)  4:00am
    Hawthorn (17th, 1-5) v Sydney (2nd, 5-1)  MCG  7:00am

• Options
    Got tickets for the Hawthorn v Sydney game on Sunday, can't wait :)
  • Options
    edited May 1
    I think the Mark Of The Year competition has been settled with 16 rounds of footy left in the season: Jamie Elliott's hanger in the Anzac Day draw is the clubhouse leader and it's going to take something special to beat this:

https://youtu.be/C32cRpwPl5s

Ben McKay, the human step-ladder, is listed as 2.02m tall which is 6' 7½" in old money ... and Elliott leapt onto his shoulders with ease and then caught the ball at almost full stretch above his head.

This week it's a round of local derbies, traditional rivalries, a meeting of two of the oldest professional football clubs in the world (any code) ... and some matches that don't seem to have a great deal on them.

Thursday night sees the Showdown - Adelaide v Port Adelaide - taking centre stage for once with traditional foes Carlton and Collingwood coming together on Friday night. Saturday's big matches start with the 'Battle of the Bridge' Sydney derby followed by the AFL's two oldest clubs (both founded in 1859), Melbourne and Geelong, and a real I-can't-stand-you clash between West Coast and Essendon, a rivalry that goes back to the early 1990s and legendary Bombers coach Kevin Sheedy indulging in dirty tricks like tying down the wind sock at Windy Hill (Essendon's former home ground). The round comes to a conclusion with Brisbane and Gold Coast meeting in the Queensland derby, the 'Q Clash'.

Thu 2 May
    Adelaide (12th, 2-5) v Port Adelaide (5th, 5-2)  Adelaide Oval, 10:30am

Fri 3 May
    Carlton (6th, 5-2) v Collingwood (10th, 3-3-1)  MCG, 10:40am

Sat 4 May
    Sydney (2nd, 6-1) v GWS (3rd, 6-1)  SCG, 4:45am
    St Kilda (14th, 2-5) v North Melbourne (18th, 0-7)  Docklands, 7:35am
    Melbourne (4th, 5-2) v Geelong (1st, 7-0)  MCG, 10:30
    West Coast (15th, 2-5) v Essendon (7th, 4-2-1)  Perth Stadium, 11:10am

Sun 5 May
    Richmond (16th, 1-6) v Fremantle (8th, 4-3)  MCG, 4:00am
    Western Bulldogs (11th, 3-4) v  Hawthorn (17th, 1-6)  Docklands, 7:00am
    Brisbane (13th, 2-5) v Gold Coast (9th, 4-3)  Gabba, 10:10am

• Options
    Went to the Hawthorne Hawks v Sydney Swans game at the MCG on Sunday. Like idiots we supported the Hawks. They lost 118 to 42 and I thought our defence was crap this season 😅