Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next season's squad

Comments

• Options
    The main thing NJ has taught us in his short reign so far is that there are some good players in this squad, you don’t outplay Derby away from home with new manager bounce.  I don’t think an entire overhaul is necessary.  

We need to fine tune certain areas, keeper is an interesting point made by a few already.  I’d like a fee spent to bring in a real commanding centre back and I’d sign REG up on a perm.  Watson has shown some form but I think we need a serious RWB.

I’m not fussed if and when Dobson goes, Coventry is an improvement, we need to build our midfield around him.  Bakinson is a good squad player, he did that role with Wednesday so no reason why he can’t do it for us now.  It’s that creative midfielder we need now, again I’d love to see a fee spent on one.

Up top I don’t see Ladapo here next season, so he’s got to be replaced, another experienced head would fit nicely with Kanu and Leaburn in the squad.  
    Except we didn't outplay Derby? Second half we were the better team, but first we were dreadful 
  • Options
    Re-sign Dillon Phillips for Goal?
    At the moment he can't even get a game for a terrible Rotherham team conceeding goals for fun.

On course to be the worst Championship team for 7 years, since, well actually Rotherham in 2016/17.
  • Options
    Can't get a game for a Rotherham side that has conceded 72 goals this season and has 19 points. Goalkeepers go through pretty broad phases and it feels like he's in his troubled one right now. If we hadn't seen him before we'd be moaning that it's a more of the same signing wouldn't we. Is Phillips going to be next season's Fosu for this place?
  • Options
    At the moment he can't even get a game for a terrible Rotherham team conceeding goals for fun.

On course to be the worst Championship team for 7 years, since, well actually Rotherham in 2016/17.
    Rotherham’s GK is their best player, it’s what is in front of him that is the problem. He will stay at Championship level/move abroad next season I’m pretty sure

Phillips might be their number 1 next season because of this but there is no shame in not getting in ahead of Johansson 
  • Options
    Re the keepers I would sell Isted, loan AMB and sign a big Championship level keeper and keep Ward/Molyneux as back up, need a bit of luck with injuries but if NJ wants a trimmer squad then no need for the extra keeper 
    I would love to know who would buy them, especially AMB...
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Rotherham’s GK is their best player, it’s what is in front of him that is the problem. He will stay at Championship level/move abroad next season I’m pretty sure

Phillips might be their number 1 next season because of this but there is no shame in not getting in ahead of Johansson 
    Not really difficult to be Rotherham's best player. Just looking at the post game reaction, some of their fans it would seem don't agree he is.

Was also at fault for at least one of their goals yesterday, could argue he should have done much better with one of the others as well. For a team that have conceeded so many he's not blameless. Case in point look at the first goal. That's who Phillips can't get a game instead of:

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/30998/13088053/coventry-5-0-rotherham-championship-highlights
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I'm happy to leave Phillips. His career since moving on from us really has no theme at all. Whether that was down to a poor agent or him/both just wanting to maximise £££.

We need players on the upward trajectory. 
    He was a brilliant shot-stopper, incredible for us for 2019 and 2020/21, but he was always pretty limited at the other parts of being a good keeper. I think we can do better 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see Jones using his connections at Luton. Maybe for a target man Woodrow or their former striker now at Derby?
  • Options
    Definitely need a new keeper, might be time to cash in on AMB while we can. He isn't young anymore and it seems unlikely he'll be a Championship level keeper which is what we need.

I like Hector but I'd keep Thomas over him purely due to his versatility and how much he loves Charlton. Give Ness a year and a loan to L2 and bring in one more CB to push Jones, REG and Gillsesphey. Loan out Asiimwe and keep the WB's we have.

Dobson is gone, I know we don't want to accept this but we need to. There is no way we pay a transfer fee to keep him. Think Taylor/Coventry will compete for a spot and we need a midfielder in who is good at breaking up play. Fraser, McGrandles and Henry will probably go in the summer. If Camara can stay fit until the end of the season he's worth a punt, I also think Bakinson is a good player and could be the midfielder to break up play.

Strikers is a tricky one, May, Kanu, Leaburn and Aneke is a strong list of options but Aneke is unreliable physically and Kanu and Leaburn are still young players. Ideally we get in a 27is year old who can help push but is happy enough on the bench. Don't want to dent Kanu and Leaburn's development.
  • Options
    edited March 6
    1 GK, 1 CB, 2-3 CM, 1-2 ST

Resign Small, one of Hector or Thomas and Tyreece Campbell.

I think our January window signings are turning out quite well and it means we don’t need so many incomings for the summer.
  • Options
    1 GK, 1 RWB 2 CM's (1 attacking 1 defensive) and 1 ST (Hopefully we can get a JCH deal over the line in the summer)

May, JCH Kanu Leaburn and Aneke is strong enough firepower to go up if we get the other side of the team right

• Options
    Attacking midfielder is one of the most important for me if we carry on playing 3-5-2. We can't rely on the strikers whoever they are to score enough. One of our central midfielders will need to contribute 10+ goals if we want to be challenging at the right end.
    We’ll need an alternative but Anderson has potential to be a goalscoring midfielder.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Attacking midfielder is one of the most important for me if we carry on playing 3-5-2. We can't rely on the strikers whoever they are to score enough. One of our central midfielders will need to contribute 10+ goals if we want to be challenging at the right end.
    We’ll need an alternative but Anderson has potential to be a goalscoring midfielder.
    He does but last night showed us why young players need very careful integration into the team. Recently he’s been a revelation but yesterday he was pretty bad and probably needs at least a couple of games out of the firing line. He’ll come good again because he a good player. Next season we need an experienced attacking midfielder that can be our metronome. A priority for me at this point. 
  • Options
    1 GK, 1 RWB 2 CM's (1 attacking 1 defensive) and 1 ST (Hopefully we can get a JCH deal over the line in the summer)

May, JCH Kanu Leaburn and Aneke is strong enough firepower to go up if we get the other side of the team right

Do we need a RWB when we have Ramsay and Tennai?
  • Options
    FWIW I would like a better keeper, but I can't see us being able to offload either of the current ones, and if we do it'll be AMB. Isted isn't as bad as people make out but because he's not an academy player and had an injury, he's been cut a lot less slack than AMB was in the middle part of the season. 

Dreamland for me is a GK, CB, 2xCM, 2xAM and 1xST, with AMB, Fraser, Hector, Payne, McGrandles, Campbell, Ladapo, Bakinson/Camara, Fiorini, L Watson and Dobson all leaving in the summer, and Asiimwe and Ness getting loans out, leaving us with:

Isted, New
    Ramsay, Watson
    Small, Edun
    New, Gillesphey, Jones, Thomas, Edmonds-Green, Mitchell
    Coventry, Taylor, Anderson, New, New, New (at least one of the "New" being Bakinson/Camara)
    New, New
    Leaburn, May, Kanu, Aneke, New

That's a squad of 25, not including any new youngsters or short term loans in case of injury, something that is both easier to manage and won't break the bank. 

I agree that a commanding centre back and a goalscoring number 10 are huge priorities to ensure this is a successful season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I really hope that Jones disagrees with you on JCH.
  • Options

im not sure, i think we may need two strikers, we know Aneke has his issues and I  hate to say (and i honestly have no data in front of me as i type it) but it does seem Leaburn is injured alot can we trust him for a whole season ? Hope im wrong
  • Options
    I still think we need 9/10 new players, which players get moved on NJ will decide, I hope!
  • Options
    SOTF said:

I can’t see Jones wanting JCH. He’s definitely not the type of striker Jones usually wants. We’ve seen it already he demands a lot of work rate and pressing from the front 2.

JCH is a penalty box striker and a very good one but he doesn’t do enough of everything else for what Jones wants 
  • Options
    No way JCH is coming here in the summer. Didn't want to in January so why would he now? Posh fans think he'll go abroad for bigger wages
  • Options
    I think we should revisit this towards the end of the season. So many players are flourishing under Jones who weren't before that we don't really know the full picture as yet. Yes, a Santos might improve the defence, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start conceding fewer goals as the season progresses.
  • Options

Do we need a RWB when we have Ramsay and Tennai?
    Is the least important of what I think we need, I think Tennai is playing really well but we could upgrade if we wish 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    SOTF said:

I can’t see Jones wanting JCH. He’s definitely not the type of striker Jones usually wants. We’ve seen it already he demands a lot of work rate and pressing from the front 2.

JCH is a penalty box striker and a very good one but he doesn’t do enough of everything else for what Jones wants 
    To my memory Pboro are and have been a high pressing team (although that may be the image their Chairman peddles on twitter/his podcast) and which JCH was a big part of that so he could do it, if we could get a proven striker of his quality on a free we should (If Jones wants him obviously)

• Options
    I don't think we'll see anywhere near the turnover some think/hope for, deadwood out and 4/5 new players in
  • Options
    Number 10, a target man and a commanding GK the priority I would say.