Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next season's squad

Comments

• Options
    On reflection (and I know it doesn't work like that ) but i would rather keep our current crop of CB's with no changes and replace Edun than change Hector/Thomas for a new CB and keep Edun as back up LWB.
  • Options
    Isted/ GK

Ramsey/Watson
    Small/ New (jury out on Edun still)

REG/ Jones/ Gillesphey/ Ness/ new Hector/ Mitchell

Coventry/ Taylor
    B2B/ Anderson
    Creative/ A.N.Other midfielder 

Winger forward

May/ Leaburn/ kanu/ Target man/ Aneke 

That, plus the Assimwe's that'll get some cup time is fair I'd say. Stick it into that block of starters, squad players and prospects:

Small, REG, Gillesphey, Coventry, May, Aneke

Isted, Jones, Watson, Ramsey, Taylor, Leaburn

Ness, kanu, Mitchell 

Get the right quality  GK, b2b, creative type midfielder in to go in the first group then the other two pools aren't so shabby to come in alongside as and when needed.

Hopefully we can shift McGrandles and Fraser for some pennies to offset, and,maybe even Edun. I'm not as convinced as many that Leaburn's off to every top 4 club in Europe for millions, if anything I'd be more worried about bigger clubs coming in for Kanu.

• Options
    The main thing NJ has taught us in his short reign so far is that there are some good players in this squad, you don’t outplay Derby away from home with new manager bounce.  I don’t think an entire overhaul is necessary.  

We need to fine tune certain areas, keeper is an interesting point made by a few already.  I’d like a fee spent to bring in a real commanding centre back and I’d sign REG up on a perm.  Watson has shown some form but I think we need a serious RWB.

I’m not fussed if and when Dobson goes, Coventry is an improvement, we need to build our midfield around him.  Bakinson is a good squad player, he did that role with Wednesday so no reason why he can’t do it for us now.  It’s that creative midfielder we need now, again I’d love to see a fee spent on one.

Up top I don’t see Ladapo here next season, so he’s got to be replaced, another experienced head would fit nicely with Kanu and Leaburn in the squad.  
    REG signed about a three and a half year deal on signing.
  • Options
    I don't think we'll see anywhere near the turnover some think/hope for, deadwood out and 4/5 new players in
    Have to disagree. As it stands we will lose the following bodies in Hector, Thomas, Campbell, Ness, Fiorini, Bakinson, Ladapo, Camera, Dobson, Payne and L. Watson. Now some we don’t want to keep, some are not good enough but all currently part of the squad. I’m sure we’d want to move on McGrandles, Fraser and Henry too so that’s currently 14 players moving on. Two or three may resign but after that we’d need more than 4/5 newbies.
  • Options
    Anyone suggesting we don’t need a lot of new players is delusional , in my view .  Jones isn’t enough of a genius to take this lot up .  A proper goalkeeper is essential , we need a really good centre half to replace Hector .  Maybe two if Jones wants to play 4 at the back .  We hope Ramsay is good enough and we need to replace Small.  We need another durable midfielder , 2 if Dobson goes .  We could also do with someone with some creativity .  If Leaburn stays , we need another starting striker; we need 2 if he goes .

Starting keeper , Isted/AMB

Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe, Small, New

New,Jones, Thomas , Gillesphey, REG, Mitchell

Coventry, Dobson, Anderson, New, New, TC

Leaburn, May, Kanu, New , (aneke) 

out: Hector, Ness, Edun, Taylor, McGrandles, Payne, one of the keepers, all the loans . 

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Anyone suggesting we don’t need a lot of new players is delusional , in my view .  Jones isn’t enough of a genius to take this lot up .  A proper goalkeeper is essential , we need a really good centre half to replace Hector .  Maybe two if Jones wants to play 4 at the back .  We hope Ramsay is good enough and we need to replace Small.  We need another durable midfielder , 2 if Dobson goes .  We could also do with someone with some creativity .  If Leaburn stays , we need another starting striker; we need 2 if he goes .

Starting keeper , Isted/AMB

Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe, Small, New

New,Jones, Thomas , Gillesphey, REG, Mitchell

Coventry, Dobson, Anderson, New, New, TC

Leaburn, May, Kanu, New , (aneke) 

out: Hector, Ness, Edun, Taylor, McGrandles, Payne, one of the keepers, all the loans . 

I'd keep Ness.
    Otherwise agree with this.
  • Options
    edited March 7
    I still think we need 9/10 new players, which players get moved on NJ will decide, I hope!
    9-10?

Not sure we need anywhere near that many. GK, CB, 2-3 midfielders (depending on who leaves) and a new striker. That's 6 at most.

What 3-4 other positions do you think we need to fill?
  • Options
    edited March 7
    Before NJ, I was thinking we had to bake a new cake but it is looking like we may only have to ice it.

Agree, and the cherry on the top will be getting possibly an upgrade on Harry or Ashley between the sticks with one of them moving on.

A replacement for Captain George IF he moves on in the summer; I may be in a minority but Dobson and Coventry can play together in midfield as was proved with their partnership against Cheltenham and both their creativity with Conor's ball to Watson and the great long pass(no it wasn't a hoof ball 😤)from George to Bakinson who surprised us all with good control and finish.

Is Leaburn still committed to Cafc or did offers come in before the latest injury which is why he looked unhappy on the pitch ?
    I'd love to see Miles work with Nathan 🤞

As the biggest fan of Kanu who knew he would improve his strength and adapt his game to because a big part of Cafc (as long as we don't cash in) then along with May and Leaburn who will be the other striker to make up the 4 with the wild card of Chuks to play his max of 10 cameo's a season; sad but true.

Freddie Ladapo would need to prove his self especially at the valley after a disappointing stay so far other than one cracking strike.

Having Small and big Mac as left sided players and Watson and Ramsey on the right it feels we are getting a balance.

Coventry would be my new Captain whether Dobson stays or not.

Shame that Louie Watson's work rate off the ball wasn't considered good enough by Apples or Nathan as he has good feet and can play the sharp pass in around the box.
    If Louie Watson could up his fitness then Coventry, Watson, Anderson and either Bakinson or Camará could fight it out for the starting 11. Terry Taylor remains a doubt and I haven't seen enough of him to pass judgement. Like many I want Dobson to stay but he needs to be 100% committed to getting Cafc into the Championship. 

Leave the decision on Tyreese Campbell to the Manager as despite his decent assists record, is he good enough to be the winger, plan B player ?

We all want our Charlton cake and eat it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still think we need 9/10 new players, which players get moved on NJ will decide, I hope!
    9-10?

Not sure we need anywhere near that many. GK, CB, 2-3 midfielders (depending on who leaves) and a new striker. That's 6 at most.

If all 5 loan signings are returned and we release say 7 players that's a total of 12 that need replacing.
    So bringing in 9 including loans looks about right. 
  • Options
    9-10?

If all 5 loan signings are returned and we release say 7 players that's a total of 12 that need replacing.
    So bringing in 9 including loans looks about right. 
    Loan signings - 2 don't play and the other 3 aren't starters. So they're hardly essential team members that need replacing.
    What 7 are we releasing? DJ, Fraser, Payne etc? None of them need replacing as they're not part of our team.

Plus even if you don't factor in the above we still have a squad of over 20 players. There's no way at all that we will need to replace 12 players.
  • Options
    New Keeper 10000%. I don't really rate either, Isted gun to my head if I had to choose. 

Desperately need a center back with a bit about them, I know the obvious choice but there are others like him. I am quite happy with REG, Gillesphey and Jones, but with injuries and a long old season, I'd prefer a better option. I'd like Thomas to extend his stay as he has improved massively and suits a back 3. I'd be intrigued to see how Hector gets on under Jones, but as thing stand, I'd sell. Ness out on loan.

I think Dobson is gone and tbf, Coventry might fill that void, he's starting to look a real player. Lot of hope for Terry Taylor and of course young Karoy. We need a more attacking minded mid though, and assuming Oxford don't go up, I'd test their resolve on Cameron Brannagan who is still one of the best in this league and would score the goals we need from the middle. 

Wing backs, we look quite healthy. Small & Edun and then Watson & Ramsey. Fairly healthy there. I'd be more inclined to sign a player who can play both sides of the wing back role and I think we'd be quite happy. 

Finally attackers, Ladapo is a no from me, we need younger and hungrier. Kanu, May, Aneke and Leaburn (assuming he stays) are very decent attacking options at this level. I think we need one more though and here's where I'd look at mayhe Will Evans of Newport. 27 soon, notched up 20 goals in a pants Newport side, deployed as a left winger usually but a big player with pace and can play up top as well. Really puts himself about and would suit a Nathan Jones side imo. 

All in all, I think we have the nucleus of a decent side watching the last few games, I reckon 6 or 7 players of real quality and we will be right up there.

- Goalie 
    - Centre back
    - full back
    - attacking mid, and a mid to partner Coventry
    - 2 strikers, one target man (for when Chuks can't play) and an all rounder like Kanu but a bit more experience. 

I'd be happy with that.
  • Options
    I would think that most of the loan players will go back and NJ said he wants a smaller squad, which means not many new players coming in, once he has decided which other players he wants out
  • Options
    I think Jones will very much have his own ideas and I can see a lot more ins and outs than some people are expecting. It’s a squad he’s largely inherited and I doubt he’s happy with more than 50% of them. Unlikely he’ll be able to transform the squad in the summer but I can see the next three windows being fairly busy. Starting this summer.
  • Options
    I think NJ s knowledge of players is far superior to his predecessors which is to our advantage ..my shopping list ..

A top class keeper ..isted as backup ..I don't rate AMB 

Wing backs are fine 

Not bothered about Hector so 1 new centre back as well as Mitchell 

Dobson is off as will be fraser and mcgrandles and Henry not up to it ,camara can't be relied on ,Fiorini a waft 

So we have Taylor, Coventry, Anderson so maybe 4 needed ..I'd take bakinson and not forgetting that AM might play as a10 on occasions..I'd want one more horrible tough tacker and a 10 and keep Tupac 

In Jones we trust 

A target man for kanu to play off ,keeping Myles and chuks ..it see Myles as a regular starter unless he starts showing more hunger 

The real priorities as I see them are a 10 and the keeper 

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I'm happy to leave Phillips. His career since moving on from us really has no theme at all. Whether that was down to a poor agent or him/both just wanting to maximise £££.

We need players on the upward trajectory. 
    Small's career was very much on a downward trajectory but look at his impact.

Yann the same.

Kirk on the other hand had done well in league 2 and league 1 with a smaller club so was on an upward trajectory, supposedly.

What we need are good, hungry players.  Sometime previous failure creates that hunger and desire to succeed. 
    Both Lennie Lawrence and Curbs looked to sign hungry players, including those who'd lost their way and stagnating - but desperate to prove themselves again. 
  • Options
    edited March 7
    What I'm sure Nathan Jones doesn't wants is a big squad: is it really 35+ odd players we have used in all competitions this season !

But definitely not a small squad as the way Jones wants to play is with athleticism,  fight, skill, commitment over 100+ minutes if need be so injuries will occur even with the best medical staff.
    Plus we have Chuks who is a special case !

Middle side squad* with just the talented youngsters to step up if need be to emulate both Anderson and Kanu from this season and Leaburn from last season.

*Is that 24 with just 1 or 2 youngsters stepping up to make the bench in case of 8 injuries which is possible ?

• Options
    What I'm sure Nathan Jones doesn't wants is a big squad: is it really 35+ odd players we have used in all competitions this season !

But definitely not a small squad as the way Jones wants to play is with athleticism,  fight, skill, commitment over 100+ minutes if need be so injuries will occur even with the best medical staff.
    Plus we have Chuks who is a special case !

Middle side squad* with just the talented youngsters to step up if need be to emulate both Anderson and Kanu from this season and Leaburn from last season.

*Is that 24 with just 1 or 2 youngsters stepping up to make the bench in case of 8 injuries which is possible ?

Jones himself said he wants 25 players, 3 being GKs.

One big question is if and how much the 888 plan will be forced on him. The flaw with it is you can’t guarantee enough academy players coming through each season to consistently have 8 in the squad.

We’ve used 40 (most in the league) according to transfermarkt, Bolton the least with 25. Of course that includes the January ins and outs who’ve featured, currently we have about 27/28 I think.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/league-one/eingesetztespieler/wettbewerb/GB3
  • Options
    So far in all competitions we've used 46 players this season. 2 short of our record 48 players we used last season. Still a few games to go though to break that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:
    I think NJ s knowledge of players is far superior to his predecessors which is to our advantage ..my shopping list ..

Wing backs are fine 

Dobson is off as will be fraser and mcgrandles and Henry not up to it ,camara can't be relied on ,Fiorini a waft 

So we have Taylor, Coventry, Anderson so maybe 4 needed ..I'd take bakinson and not forgetting that AM might play as a10 on occasions..I'd want one more horrible tough tacker and a 10 and keep Tupac 

In Jones we trust 

A target man for kanu to play off ,keeping Myles and chuks ..it see Myles as a regular starter unless he starts showing more hunger 

Eh? He’s been injured for months. Has his ‘hunger’ ever been questioned?
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    lolwray said:

Wing backs are fine 

In Jones we trust 

Eh? He’s been injured for months. Has his ‘hunger’ ever been questioned?
    Actually that's a typo is meant I dt see him as a regular start ..and yes I do mean he has got to show a greater appetite for hard work and eagerness to learn..I have Kanu ahead of him now 
  • Options
    So far in all competitions we've used 46 players this season. 2 short of our record 48 players we used last season. Still a few games to go though to break that.

46 players is crazy !
    Ok, one of them was Doris the tea lady who came on in the cup for 10 minutes and put in a sweet performance. I thought when she did a tunnel Jump, she was milking it a tad.
  • Options

Apologies for cut and paste but reckon 6 in, 9 out - the trim begins and we have a 24 man squad 

GKs NEW, Isted, AMB

Full backs: Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe, Small, NEW

CBS: NEW, Jones, Gillesphey, REG, Ness, Thomas

MID: Coventry, Taylor, Anderson, Campbell, NEW, NEW

Strikers: Leaburn, May, Kanu, NEW

out: Dobson, Hector, Edun, McGrandles, Payne, Fraser, DJ, Ward, Mitchell (LOAN) all current loans go back 

The £s will be spent on the midfield 2 and striker…
  • Options

Apologies for cut and paste but reckon 6 in, 9 out - the trim begins and we have a 24 man squad 

GKs NEW, Isted, AMB

out: Dobson, Hector, Edun, McGrandles, Payne, Fraser, DJ, Ward, Mitchell (LOAN) all current loans go back 

I think Ness and Campbell are both out of contract and pretty unlikely to sign unless either break into the starting 11 between now and May 
  • Options
    I think Nathan Asiimwe will end up as a RCB in a back three rather than wing back, he's big, strong and quick. Him and Mitchell are both very good prospects that I expect to be in and around the first team next season.
  • Options
    Can't see us getting a new number 1 and keeping both Isted and AMB

The squad needs some big changes to compete at the top consistently as it has needed for the past few summers 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

GKs NEW, Isted, AMB

I think Ness and Campbell are both out of contract and pretty unlikely to sign unless either break into the starting 11 between now and May 
    We'll offer both token contracts to get compensation for them
  • Options
    Nathan Jones will turn them into better players. I think we will re-sign them both myself and think they both have the potential to improve. Campbell has had some very nice moments and Ness looked pretty solid last season. The managerial merry go round will not have helped either of them. A bit of patience and more hard work required. 
  • Options
    Squad:
    First Team

Goalkeepers
    Harry Isted 2025 (+1 year option) SELL - OK - but not a promotion chasing 1st teamer imho
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2026 KEEP - BACK UP - competent and could develop further with good coaching 
    Lewis Ward 2024 (+1 year option) KEEP (3rd option) if any good? Have no idea…

Right Backs
    Nathan Asiimwe 2026 (+1 year option) - Loan out
    Kayne Ramsay 2027 - Keep 
    Tennai Watson 2025 - Keep 

Centre Backs
    Rarmani Edmonds-Green 2026 (+1 year option) KEEP
    Macaulay Gillesphey 2026 (+1 year option) KEEP 
    Michael Hector 2024 RELEASE 
    Lloyd Jones 2025 KEEP 
    Lucas Ness 2024 RENEW
    Terell Thomas 2024 RELEASE 
    Zach Mitchell 2025 (season loan to Colchester) KEEP + extend contract 

Left Backs
    Tayo Edun 2025 (+1 year option) - SELL
    Thierry Small 2024 (+1 year option) - KEEP + extend
    Richard Chin 2024 (half season loan to Bath) RELEASE

Central Midfielders
    Karoy Anderson 2027 (+1 year option) KEEP 
    Tyreeq Bakinson 2024 (half season loan from Sheff Wed) - RETURN and do not sign 
    Panutche Camara 2024 (season loan from Ipswich) - RETURN and do not sign 
    Conor Coventry 2027 - KEEP 
    George Dobson 2024 - RE-Sign if viable
    Lewis Fiorini 2024 (half season loan from Man City) - WHO? RETURN 
    Terry Taylor 2026 - KEEP and REVEAL (like a new signing) 
    Louie Watson 2024 (season loan from Luton) - RETURN and do not sign 
    Scott Fraser 2025 (half season loan to Hearts) - SELL OR RELEASE 
    Aaron Henry 2025 (+1 year option, half season loan to Wealdstone) - KEEP + loan until January
    Conor McGrandles 2025 (half season loan to Lincoln) - SELL 

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers
    Tyreece Campbell 2024 RENEW
    Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024 (season loan to St Johnstone) - RELEASE
    Jack Payne 2024 (season loan to MK Dons) - RELEASE 

Strikers
    Chuks Aneke 2025 - SELL (if possible - mins per season vs budget spent VERY REGRETTABLY makes no sense)
    Daniel Kanu 2027 KEEP 
    Freddie Ladapo 2024 (half season loan from Ipswich) - RETURN and do not sign 
    Miles Leaburn 2025 - KEEP and extend (asset value in mind) 
    Alfie May 2025 (+1 year option) - KEEP
    Connor Wickham 2024 (Short Term Loan) - TOO EARLY TO SAY

By my math and based on above preferences, I reckon we need 6-8 new players for in the region of a 24 man squad next season. 15 leavers. If we are going to charge for promotion next season NJ will know what to do, but that said he and the Board may go for a two year strategy toward that aim, half the further rebuild next summer and winter, the final pieces the following season, who knows… All I can now see is that we are in a building process and it is feeling more positive.