Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury 24

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Pyramid Stage line-up is appalling. Is it meant to be enjoyed ironically?

Twee pop for 12 year olds, plus the usual perennial MOR shite (e.g Coldplay, Keane, ugh) that were at their peak years ago. Why pander to people who essentially don't know or particularly like music and are basically sartorial tourists?

Current and young bands should be front and centre pushing new music, not this stale rubbish. Even if some of the bands were good in their day, this is a nostalgia fest.  It used to be a place to escape from the mainstream, now that is exactly what it is.

Thankfully there are still places to go to get away from this crap (as highlighted above), but the fact that commercial pop chart bullshit now dominates shows how going mainstream always kills anything good because it leads to corporate blandness.

It's all very Radio 2.  Very middle of the road, increasingly mainstream.  Increasingly beige.  Increasingly corporate. Should be sponsored by Pepsi or some other fizzy pop company.

Still, posh folk up from London will love it for the Instagram opportunities, which is what really counts.

Can't wait for the X-Factor tie in next year!
    They're producing a line-up for people that buy tickets. 

It's become the UK Coachella. 
  • Options
    The Pyramid Stage line-up is appalling. Is it meant to be enjoyed ironically?

Twee pop for 12 year olds, plus the usual perennial MOR shite (e.g Coldplay, Keane, ugh) that were at their peak years ago. Why pander to people who essentially don't know or particularly like music and are basically sartorial tourists?

Current and young bands should be front and centre pushing new music, not this stale rubbish. Even if some of the bands were good in their day, this is a nostalgia fest.  It used to be a place to escape from the mainstream, now that is exactly what it is.

Thankfully there are still places to go to get away from this crap (as highlighted above), but the fact that commercial pop chart bullshit now dominates shows how going mainstream always kills anything good because it leads to corporate blandness.

It's all very Radio 2.  Very middle of the road, increasingly mainstream.  Increasingly beige.  Increasingly corporate. Should be sponsored by Pepsi or some other fizzy pop company.

Still, posh folk up from London will love it for the Instagram opportunities, which is what really counts.

Can't wait for the X-Factor tie in next year!
    Yeah but apart from all that you’re ok with it mate? 😉

PS. I agree with you. 
  • Options
    This is wave 1 and only features a sub-set of the overall artists performing. DJs and comedians etc yet to be announced. The main stages are the main focus of BBC coverage so not sure how anybody can be that surprised with the ‘main stream’ nature of those line ups? There will be plenty of alternative, EDM etc options away from the main stages and a whole lot more to enjoy. Still regret not finding which tent Daft Punk feat. Fatboy Slim ‘secretly’ played on a Saturday night a few years back - it’s those type unbilled performances (which are not broadcast) that I enjoy. 

Last Dinner Party in the Woodsies last year were great, so pleased they’ve been elevated so quickly.  

My must see/hears include Kiwanuka, Heaton, Twain, Dua, Jungle, Dexys (just to go batsh*t to Come on Eileen..), Last Dinner Party and more…

This festival is all you want it to be and most of all I enjoy the kind spirited nature of it. 

Can’t come round quick enough!
  • Options
    Lmao is that how much it costs? This is why I do gigs not festivals 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Lmao is that how much it costs? This is why I do gigs not festivals 
    It's £360. 
  • Options
    I used to fancy the shit out of Avril Lavigne. Not seen her in about 20 years mind.
  • Options
    I had to Google Mannequin Pussy ... I just had to  :|
  • Options
    I used to fancy the shit out of Avril Lavigne. Not seen her in about 20 years mind.
    You and me both. Never felt I could admit to it at the time when she was releasing music, she seemed a bit stabby
  • Options
    The price is actually still great value, £60 a day is pretty good if you look at everything that's available. We pay £25 for 90 minutes of Football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    21 of them are familiar to me.    
    44 for me. Been enjoying NewDad’s new album Madra recently. A modern take on a 1980s post punk vibe, very nice!

Idles set at Glasto 2022 was remarkable! Here’s a flavour: https://youtu.be/XiI78DLqS6I?si=Wt0MRasGifGnxTn5
  • Options
    Looks pretty shite. If you tell me the 3 headliners are Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa and Coldplay then its the worst there has ever been.

Don't get me wrong IDLES, LCD, Fontaines, The National , The Streets (great live act), Baxter Dury, This is the Kit and a few others will be worth watching  - cant believe LCD are n the pyramid - fair play.

Its hard to look at the newer line ups and not feel its a bit V Festival Capital Party in the Park, but its still Glastonbury - madness will prevail. 

And as we all know Glastonbury is not really about the bands - we used to see about 2 or 3 hours of music in 5 days back in the 80s and 90s.

Every year throws up someone i watch on the telly and am gobsmacked how good they are - Roisin Murphy, Self Esteem, Wet Leg recently.

I do get misty eyed for the days of no fence, no Police allowed on his land, Rastas selling hash on painting tables with scales and cheese wire, and about 5 stages, Mutoid waste stonehenge etc etc, went every year it was on from 86 to 99. Then just lost interest.

But im still jealous every year for those that go.    
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Guessing Taylor swift will be a headliner too, Idles would have been great on the main stage... guess that'll happen in the next couple years. 
    All headliners named so how?
  • Options
    A very uninspiring line up so far 

Arlo Parks should be on The Park, no?
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:
    I’m also ancient but looking forward to LCD Soundsystem, The National, Confidence Man, PJ Harvey, Cyndi Lauper, Last Dinner Party and Paul Heaton (all via bbc coverage, no muddy fields for me). Coldplay are like ice-cold porridge to me. 
    Agree on all of that. Also, Arlo Parks, Michael Kiwanuka, and more. 

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Guessing Taylor swift will be a headliner too, Idles would have been great on the main stage... guess that'll happen in the next couple years. 
    I didn't realise that was the case as they are shite, also they generally save a headliner or 2 for after the resale in April. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I know most of these, and I dislike most of these. It's a bad lineup, but because I do know them, lol

Exceptions for me would be Burna Boy, Nia Archives, possibly Danny Brown, Corinne Bailey Rae, Soccer Mommy, Lankum and above all Mdou Moctar, who's probably - PROBABLY - just about worth the admission money alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lPeQA2hu4
    Never heard of them, but we’ll see if they’re playing somewhere other than Glasto. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    I didn't realise that was the case as they are shite, also they generally save a headliner or 2 for after the resale in April. 
    Can't see how as she's playing the Aviva in Dublin on those nights
  • Options
    Dua Lipa is amazing live. The way her songs are arranged for her incredible live band is awesome.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Can't see how as she's playing the Aviva in Dublin on those nights
    Yeah someone else mentioned that, it's a very meh set of headliners this year. The great bit about a proper headliner.. Elton John style, is that it takes 80000 people away from the paths and other stages for a few hours which makes it easier to get about. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 15
    Suspect her Swiftieness will be doing 2025 at the end of Eras tour, and a little break
  • Options
    She literally hasn't aged. It's actually quite unsettling
  • Options
    Still hot twenty years later ValleyGary!
  • Options
    Looks pretty shite. If you tell me the 3 headliners are Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa and Coldplay then its the worst there has ever been.

Don't get me wrong IDLES, LCD, Fontaines, The National , The Streets (great live act), Baxter Dury, This is the Kit and a few others will be worth watching  - cant believe LCD are n the pyramid - fair play.

Its hard to look at the newer line ups and not feel its a bit V Festival Capital Party in the Park, but its still Glastonbury - madness will prevail. 

And as we all know Glastonbury is not really about the bands - we used to see about 2 or 3 hours of music in 5 days back in the 80s and 90s.

Every year throws up someone i watch on the telly and am gobsmacked how good they are - Roisin Murphy, Self Esteem, Wet Leg recently.

I do get misty eyed for the days of no fence, no Police allowed on his land, Rastas selling hash on painting tables with scales and cheese wire, and about 5 stages, Mutoid waste stonehenge etc etc, went every year it was on from 86 to 99. Then just lost interest.

But im still jealous every year for those that go.    
    MsAA went to see Roisin Murphy last month, said she was absolutely amazing and it’s not the sort of music she normally likes.
  • Options
    Mad as a box of frogs and very talented.

great voice and some very good tunes if you like house/dance music
  • Options
    Surprised to see Heilung there, and so high up. They played Arctangent last year which is just down the road but is definitely not the same sort of festival as Glastonbury. They are...very weird. They're all earth-mothery and pagan sure, but that's not what Glastonbury has been about for years and years. I'm very interested to see how that goes down, a lot of people are going to have a very bad trip I think.
    Not my cup of tea but very good at what they do.
    Festivals should be about the chance to see and hear bands you'd never normally come across.
  • Options
    I’m sure she’s literally aged by around 20 years!
  • Options
    Still hot twenty years later ValleyGary!
    Hmmmm.... only one way to settle this!!!

P.SP - Are we talking about the real Avril Lavigne or the one who replaced her after she died...
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I’m sure she’s literally aged by around 20 years!
    Androids designed to win the much vaunted sk8er punk tween demographic do not age as they are ageless